Aftermarket stock same as Ruger synthetic for bull barrel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Wizzzard

Bearcat
Am getting Ruger 10/22 Target and am looking for a replacement synthetic stock as close as possible to Ruger 10/22 synthetic stock for BULL barrel. Have read input on other forums regarding this but haven't found any stocks I am completely comfortable with.

I have two major concerns. Have read that some/many of the aftermarket stocks are somewhat "soft" and can "bend" to a degree, worried about accuracy. Secondly want stock that is virtually Industructable and will show no mars, etc. This is probably my primary concern.

If possible would simply buy Ruger OEM synthetic but they do not fit bull barrel.

Rifle to be used for target only at 50 and 200 yards.

All input appreciated as I am particular about my weapons.

Thanks in advance,
Wizzzard

9x19

Hunter
I use Hogue synthetics with my bull-barreled 10/22s. There is no flex in them, and they do not show wear easily. They offer both a hard-nylon (my preference) and a rubber exterior finish.... these are two of mine:

Ruger 10/17 with Volquartsen barrel/bolt and a Bushnell 3x-9x 40mm
1017VQhbb.jpg

Ruger 10/22 with Tactical Solutions barrel and a Bushnell 3x-9x 40mm
1022TShbt.jpg

wwb

Hunter
blume357 said:
..........Good luck with that 200 yards...

200 yards with a .22 is a riot. You take your shot, clear the rifle, run up to the clubhouse to buy a coke, visit the head, have a cigarette, and come back down to the range just in time for the impact. Surprisingly accurate (on a calm day), but you have to use up just about all the vertical adjustment in the scope.

Wizzzard

Bearcat
Buckeye,

How would you compare the durability of the nylon stock vs the non-nylon stock? I am assuming the nylon is more durable.

Wizzzard

Frank in GA.

Bearcat
I too use the Hogue overmolded rubberized stock on my 10-22 and it works great. I like the feel of it over the nylon stock myself. Have had it on mine for a few years now and it still looks new.

9x19

Hunter
Wizzzard said:
Buckeye,

How would you compare the durability of the nylon stock vs the non-nylon stock? I am assuming the nylon is more durable.

Wizzzard

I have owned both styles and find them both to be durable.

The reason the hard nylon works better for me is the rubber tends to grab my clothing. That can be annoying when wearing a light jacket that's un-zipped.

Wizzzard

Bearcat
5Wire,

Several questions. How strong is your Fajen stock, does it "bend" under pressure? How durable is it, does it show scratches or mars? Does lint or the like have the tendency to stick to it?

Your reply is appreciated as I really like the looks and most importantly the options.

Wizzzard

9x19

Hunter
If you are considering other synthetic styles, I also like the Archangel Target Stocks. They are durable, ambidextrous and offer an adjustable length of pull. They come with an extended magazine release and a small v-block to add upward pressure to the barrel, for tuning. If you are interested, I have one more than I need, bought for my son who likes the Hogues better... I'd sell it for $59 shipped.

1017AATS.jpg

AATSadj.jpg

5Wire

Single-Sixer
Wizzzard, the stock material is not soft. I've not noticed any bending, it seems pretty rigid. I haven't subjected it to conditions where dings and scratches would be likely to occur. I use it at the range only 50 yds and 100 yds. The adjusting mechanisms in the stock are metal. I don't know if there is an aluminum core to the stock itself. Here's a quickie shot:

IMGP0155Stock.jpg

There are no sling swivel mounts but I had a set put in, no problem. It's a bit heavy to schlepp in the field without a sling. I liked the rifle/stock so well that I bought a second one when I saw it at a LGS. I do remember having to remove a little material to make the free-float consistent but that was easily accomplished.

10 rounds AT 50 YDS. Aguila Super Express. The rondel is 1.1 inches outside diameter, each band is .22 inches wide.

AguilaSuperExpress40Gr.jpg

Fajen Instructions