Aftermarket Ruger S/A Grips - Help! Please

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Montelores

Buckeye
I saw a posting (I believe that it was here), and someone displayed a Ruger S/A with beautiful bird's eye maple grips. I intended to write down the maker's name, but I forgot to do so. Can someone help me out?

For additional information, the maker supplies an internal support with the grips which prevents them from cracking if the screws are overtightened.

I did perform a search, but I was unsuccessful.

Thank you,

Monty

Chuckbuster

Single-Sixer

BlkHawk73

Hunter
There's also Klamath River Woodworks. I've got a few sets from his and will be getting more soon.

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
Chuckbuster":3tvw2lxc said:
SNIP

... He supplies the "spacer" to help prevent over tightening with his stocks. I am not sure of the other two...

I think that we all supply the spacers now; it just makes sense when you are spending your hard earned money on a custom set of grips.

Chuckbuster

Single-Sixer
pvtschultz":3315qm1a said:
Chuckbuster":3315qm1a said:
SNIP

... He supplies the "spacer" to help prevent over tightening with his stocks. I am not sure of the other two...

I think that we all supply the spacers now; it just makes sense when you are spending your hard earned money on a custom set of grips.

I sort of figured that was the case Carl but was only sure first hand with 41 Magnum and could not find the info on your website, therefore the wording of my post.
Kevin

Montelores

Buckeye
Thanks again to all.

Does anyone have a comment on the durability of different types of wood, especially in various climates? It is quite dry where we live.

I believe that Rodfac posted a photo somewhere of some beautiful cocobolo grips, and he commented that they were a harder wood, I believe.

Monty

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
I have shipped a pair of mesquite grips from my home in WI during the fall to a more dry southern climate where they distorted significantly. The result was a big risk to my reputation as a grip maker. I accepted them back for refund and couldn't believe how poorly they fit my grip frame. I through the grips in my cabinent along with a few other notables. After about a month, I decided to try them on my revolver again. This time they fit perfectly (like I had thought that I made them). This is the only pair of grips that I've sold where I've heard of this happening.

The most durable material, from best to worst (at least from my shop):

1. Micarta - Very hard, quite heavy, dimensionally stable, but limited colors available.

2. Stabilized Wood - Take a rotten or soft piece of wood and fill it with acrylic. Quite hard and dense, dimensionally stable, any number of colors and figuring available. Much more expensive.

3. Hard Hardwoods - Harder than most, fairly dimensionally stable. I don't deal with many of these.

4. Maples (non-spalted) - Medium-hard denstiy hardwood, will scratch or dent if abused, okay dimensionally stable.

5. Walnut - Medium density hardwood, will scratch or dent if abused, okay dimensionally stable.

6. American Holly - Medium density hardwood, will scratch or dent if abused, okay dimensionally stable.

Montelores

Buckeye
Thank you to all who have shared information about grips with me. I appreciate the shared knowledge.

Monty

Latest posts