After market Ruger Single six cylinders

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixgunner452

Bearcat
Gentlemen, I placed a want add for a Ruger Single six cylinder, also keeping tabs on eBay listings. In the past I guess I have been lucky when buying used cylinders, never bothering to measure OAL. Studying the subject it became aware to me that the OAL of a cylinder was very important. Not too long, but not too short.

I was having difficulty finding one for my old model Single six. I was aware of the Story cylinders Midway use to sell, but I really wanted a Ruger factory cylinder. I finally gave in. I gave Mr Al Story a call. I asked him what where the measurements of his cylinders. He replied. He asked what where my measurements. Being at work, I only had the OAL of my cylinder. He stated the actual chamber area of the cylinder is also important.

That evening I measured my Chamber area of my cylinder. I purchased a money order, drafted a memo for Mr Story. I included the measurement of cylinder, asked that he measure a keeper from his cylinder bin. I also stated I would prefer the cylinder be on the long side, I would gladly dress the excess down if needed.
I mailed off the letter to Mr Story 7 Dec about 3 PM. I received a new 8 round cylinder on 11 Dec. Man that's fast. The cylinder was placed in my frame. Turned perfect, no slop fore or aft. Attractive blueing too.

The next day I loaded my Single six in my vehicle to test fire. I was able to shoot empty 12 gauge shells laying on the ground at the range. My preference for real world accuracy.

Long story short, if your in need of an after market Ruger cylinder. Mr Story is the man to see. He also has alot of other Ruger goodies for sale on his web site. Here is his contact info:

Borchardt Rifle Corp / Ruger replacement cylinders 1144 steel, black oxide finish.
6 Shot 22 LR $100
8 Shot 22 LR $120
Plus $7.50 shipping

Borchardt Rifle Corp.
Al Story
9732 Highway 180 West
Silver City, NM 88061
Phone: (575) 535-2923
Please Phone or Write. Sorry, no email.

That is my only complaint. He is old school. No email, or credit cards. But nice, honest guy to do business with, and took the time to give me what I wanted.

32shooter

Blackhawk
Good to hear, I purchased a 17 M2 blemished Story cylinder from Midway some time ago. Been waiting on the right 17 HMR single six to come along to pair it up with.

Brules

Single-Sixer
I've met Mr. Story a couple of times and he's a good guy. Basically a one man shop out in the middle of nowhere.

sixgunner452

Bearcat
Just wanted to put the info out there. Hope it was helpful. Also, his website states the cylinders are for New Model SS'es only. They fit old models just fine, My SS is an Old Model. Randy.