Advice please,loading gate problem............

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ruger8

Bearcat
I have a 1996 SS model Vaquero in 44-40 that has developed a "rattle" I finally traced it to a loose loading gate. On firing the first time the loading gate opens about 1/16' and rattles thereafter. I don't think it is a safety issue but it sure as heck is annoying. I have 5 other Ruger SA and none of them have ever developed this problem.Do any of you experts have any advice on how to correct the problem? Any ideas on why the gate will not stay tightly shut? Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !!

Hoss4570

Bearcat
Yup. I have a three screw .41 mag that this happened to, or rather, the gate would fly open every shot. Rugerguy, here on this forum sent me a new spring. Fixed it up proper. Good guy. I did not want to send it to Ruger because it had not, nor has it yet, been converted to the "candy a$$ed" way of loading a sixgun. Just my opinion, ya understand................ :D :D :D :D

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
I think the loading gate spring supposed to have an angle to it where it engages the loading gate. Sounds like yours has been wore down or broke off. A new spring would probably fix you up. Compare the spring to one of your guns that is working.

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

I would agree with the comment about the loading gate spring. The loading gate spring on any New Model Ruger single action revolver is a heavy strap of formed spring steel. One end bears on the cylinder stop, causing it to withdraw from the cylinder when the gate is opened. The other end of the spring has a slanted surface that engages a slanted surface on the gate. When reassembling one of these revolvers it is very easy for the slanted end of the spring to slip off of the proper engagement surface on the gate. If it pops off, it will not do its job properly. Check to be sure the slanted end of the spring is properly seated on the gate. If it is not properly seated, disassemble the gun and reseat the spring.

Here is a hint. When reassembling a New Model Blackhawk or a Vaquero, once the spring is seated properly, avoid the temptation to flip the gate open until the gun is fully reassembled. The spring is not yet fully constrained until the gun is completely reassembled, and may pop out of position if you flip open the gate.