Advice on Reloading 9mm and 380

Help Support Ruger Forum:

larrupin

Bearcat
Howdy!

I have been reloading revolver and rifle cartridges for 25 years but just have not fiddled much at all with semi-auto catridges, and since I used to be able to pick up 9mm at WM cheap I just didn't take the time to mess with it. But with prices going up and supply hit and miss I decided I need to bite the bullet and get up to speed on these rounds.

I have dies and everything I need, including lee factory crimp dies etc but I would like some suggestions on what bullet you guys use for practice rounds.

Of course in my revolvers I mostly cast bullets but do you guys that reload 9 and 380 use cast or do you just stick with FMJ for practice rounds?

Any suggestions on bullets and where to get them (cheap preferably)
and what powders you like would be appreciated.

Thanks much,

Larrupin

Flash

Buckeye
I reload my own 9mm and 380 and yes, I use cast bullets. Actually, I cast my own Lee 120 gr TC and use liquid alox. Getting the crimp just right for semiautomatic feeding is the hardest part. I did use Unique but it's too dirty so I switched to HP38 or Winchester 231.

larrupin

Bearcat
Thanks for the reply!

It is interesting that you recommended HP38 because I just got back from the range and shooting 25 rds of some 115 gr JHP over 5.0 grains of HP38.

I only loaded 25 rds to see how they did, shot very well, accurate and clean I was pleased and will definitely work more with this powder in 9mm.

I am glad to hear you have good luck with cast bullets cause that is what I have done 95% of my reloading with over the years.

Larrupin

LightningMan

Bearcat
Yes I load cast bullets all the time for .380 & 9mm. For the .380 I use cast bullets from S&S casting, they are 92 gr. RNL also get 125 gr. RNL for the 9mm. Both work great and way cheaper than buying FMJ's. LM

LightningMan

Bearcat
I would like to add that be sure your auto pistol is ok with lead bullets, I've read that Glocks & a few others, which use polygonal rifling should not be shot with lead bullets. Something about lead build-up & pressure caused by it that you could have a KaBoom! . LM

Three44s

Single-Sixer
I'm old to reloading but new to the 9mm as of last summer.

I cast my plinkers now. Use a lee six banger mold in 124 gr TC tumble lube and lube with Lee liquid alox. I shoot them "as cast".

My lead flipper .... a Kel Tec PF-9 ....... was new and it leaded a bit.

I ran my thinned alox and lubed twice. My usual regiment of cleaning and break in solved the leading issues:

Clean with USP or JB bore paste (mild abrassive) and retreat the just cleaned bore with CorrosionX.

Remember ..... you only want to taper crimp and only lightly as the straight sided rimmless pistol rounds headspace on the case mouth.

Three 44s

larrupin

Bearcat
Good info!

Hey Contender , where do you buy your plated bullets.
I used to have a source years ago for plated bullets but they went belly up.

Thanks again folks,

Larrupin

PS, none of my 9mm's are Glocks so I am good with cast

libbylibbylibby

Bearcat
I use HP38 with 9mm and have found it to be clean, and consistent. Also, if your anywhere close to St. Charles, MO there is a place called Graf Reloading that has consistent supply of plated bullets (Rainier, Frontier) as well as all other manner of reloading equipment and supplies. They have great prices, and are good people to do busines with.

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
I have been loading 380 and 9mm for years using my cast bullets and 231 (same as HP38). For 380 I use a 100 gr TC and Speer 88 gr JHP (my old stock). For 9mm I use the lee 120 TC (not tumble lube) and Lyman 356402. Taper crimp just enough to remove the bell put on the case mouth for seating the bullet. Only leading issue is when the bullet is undersize - use at least a 356 bullet, maybe 357 depending on what your barrel likes. Some 9's even like 358 size.