Advice on a used 10/22 carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
I'm looking at buying about a 2001 model 10/22 carbine (wood/blue) from a friend of mine. She's only shot it once and I tthought it was new when she got it. I'm not going to give her our original price because of excessive wear on the bolt from lack of cleaning. I did a quick disassembly, soaked it with RemOil, and wiped off the crud & excess oil. Fired a quick 100 rounds (didn't worry about accuracy, yet), then did a thorough cleaning.

Finally, the point. What kind of wear can the 10/22 bolt take before having to be replaced? I was planning on eventually uprgrading the barrel, mag-release, bolt stop, charging handle, recoil buffer, and sight mount to better quality pieces as I went on. My camera charger is MIA, so no pictures. The bolt isn't dead, yet. I don't expect any malfunctions soon, but it has some rough wear on it. Any he;p would be greatly appreciated.

chet15

Hawkeye
CanonLyles":22vl5hib said:
I'm looking at buying about a 2001 model 10/22 carbine (wood/blue) from a friend of mine. She's only shot it once and I tthought it was new when she got it. I'm not going to give her our original price because of excessive wear on the bolt from lack of cleaning.

Finally, the point. What kind of wear can the 10/22 bolt take before having to be replaced? I was planning on eventually uprgrading the barrel, mag-release, bolt stop, charging handle, recoil buffer, and sight mount to better quality pieces as I went on. My camera charger is MIA, so no pictures. The bolt isn't dead, yet. I don't expect any malfunctions soon, but it has some rough wear on it. Any he;p would be greatly appreciated.

Doesn't sound like wear (the guns fault)...sounds like lack of care from the owner. But it should clean up just fine.
To set your mind at ease, I've never heard of a 10/22 bolt that needed replaced. They will shoot tens of thousands of rounds and still keep right on ticking as long as the gun and magazines are kept free of residue.
Chet15

Snake45

Hawkeye
chet15":j7kmme55 said:
To set your mind at ease, I've never heard of a 10/22 bolt that needed replaced.
Chet15
Me neither. I can hardly imagine what might cause a 10/22 bolt to "wear out" or what such wear might look like.

Given anything approaching reasonable care (cleaning and lubing every year or two or three), I don't think you'd have to even start worrying about it until you'd passed a half-million rounds, and two million might be closer.

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
Chet15,
Thank you for the info. It was from lack of care. This was apparent when I moved the bolt back. I'm not sure it was ever cleaned before I did it the other night. lol It had all kinds of build-up in it. It does have a little booger on the top that I can polish down. But, the overall wear has me wondering. It should continue to shoot for many more rounds, but my 870 that's the same age and probably has more rounds through it looks new except for the black finish is coming off from use (still smooth as a baby's butt).

welldoya,
I want to replace the metal one with a synthetic one. I've been doing research on it, and I want to give it the most life and most accuracy that I can for a field gun. I guess you could call it semi-accurized. lol My Remington 572 .22 is dead on with everything that I can see. I just got a scope for it so I can get out past 70+ yards (I have a little trouble seeing critters at about 60 yards.

Tweek

Bearcat
I'd be interested in seeing pics of what you're talking about. I just can't picture what you're describing, and I've never seen much wear worth mentioning from normal use on a 10/22 bolt.

Certainly doesn't sound like a 9 year old gun that went out once, and wasn't cleaned afterward.

welldoya

Single-Sixer
I've heard of people slipping surgical tubing over the bolt stop. They say it quiets it down a lot and it sure can't hurt. I'll probably do that next time I take mine apart.
I've got 4 10/22s and had never taken them apart until last month. My oldest one was made in the early 70s. No telling how many rounds have been thru it. When my son was younger, he would shoot several boxes per weekend thru it and I bought it used so I'm guessing tens of thousands have gone thru it. It was nasty but still shot fine.

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
I'm looking for my picture taker charger, so maybe I can get some pics on here. I hope I'm not making it sound any worse than it is. It's not scaring me. But, I am concerned about the life of it. Hopefully, I'll find it soon so everyone can see what I'm talking about.

It sounds to me like what you really want its a project 10/22 you can play with and modify and this rifle fits the bill perfectly regardless of any problems it might have. On any 'project' 10/22 what you are really paying for is the receiver.

You have not said what you 'want' to offer her for the gun. I would pay her at least what you think is fair... the problem is there is very little difference between a brand new 10/22 at wally world and a good used one.... 225 - 150 respectively...

The key part of the deal is 'friend of mine' this is more important than getting a really good deal on the rifle. If she is a friend then I would be willing to pay at least $50 more than what the rifle is worth at a dealer used.... but then maybe that's just me...

Oh, and welcome to the Ruger Forum... the friendliest place in town.

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
Thank you, blume.
And you are right. I am looking for a "minor" project gun. I don't mind giving her more than someone else would. But, $200 for a $100 gun should be out of anyone's means.

I'm going to borrow a camera later today and post some pics tonight.

What a used gun will cost varies a good bit around the country. Here is S.C. used 10/22s go for around 200 at a gun show... now in a shop you can probably get away with 150.... but I don't think I've ever seen one lately for $100.

It sounds like this one might have sat and rusted some and is far from prime condition... Your call. Just keep in mind the receiver is the prime part you are buying, followed by the trigger group and then the bolt.

dacaur

Single-Sixer
blume357":1gfu1dz9 said:
The key part of the deal is 'friend of mine' this is more important than getting a really good deal on the rifle. If she is a friend then I would be willing to pay at least $50 more than what the rifle is worth at a dealer used.... but then maybe that's just me...

Oh, and welcome to the Ruger Forum... the friendliest place in town.

I dont really understand that... I would never ask a friend of mine to pay more than the going rate for something I was selling them, and certainly wouldn't expect them to want me to pay more than something is worth. When I sell things to friends and family, they pay LESS than someone I dont know, because thats what friends and family do, they take care of each other.....

re-reading, I suppose your comment could be taken to mean you would pay more than a pawn shop would pay, but still less than a private party sale... in that case i agree....

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
blume,
I can get a brand new one (identical) for about $200 around here. It also comes with a BSA red-dot 1x scope. So, I'm thinking $150.

CraigC,
She shot it once. It's about a 2001 model with some use before she got it. I'm guessing a couple of bricks. But, you can tell the wear is not from being cleaned, at all. lol

dacaur,
She doesn't know about guns or what they're worth. When I thought it was new, I thought it was a pretty good price. But, that's all changed now. haha

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
BTW...

I JUST walked in the door from taking the 10/22, Rem. 572, and the SR9 out to the farm and shooting. Ice storm or not, I just had to get out of the house. Here's the report for all.

10/22:
Tried to sight in the red-dot. Realized (after 75 rounds or so) that the red-dot is the wrong type of mount for the factory ruger. Picatinny vs. weaver. Does anybody have the need to ask me how smart I felt when I FINALLY looked at it? LMAO Didn't think about it at all. I read somewhere on here that replaceing the scope mount ant iron sights should be the first upragde for any 10/22. Now, I know why. lol I don't like the iron sights, but after I took the scope off I was 6" to the bullseye. Good grouping 50'.

Remington 572 .22 pump:
Still accurate as hell. Still jamming up. The action locked up on the 6th round. Pissed me off, because there was little wind and I could get the windage zeroed on the new scope (logging chains blow like a wind sock in W. OK). Elevation's still spot on. Closer to absolute zero @ 75 yards than before.

SR9:
Olive Drab. mmmm... Anyways, with a box of 115 gr. WWB the first 2 rounds were FTE. WTH? The only time I've had one of those before was when shooting a couple boxes Remington UMC 115 gr. "Why this time?", I still wonder. Probably limp wrist from one armed shots. Haven't been able to go shoot in a few weeks. That, and it was 20 deg. outside. LOL When I aimed at the target, though; good 3" groups as always without a hitch.

I did forget my target out there. Cell phone rang as I was packing everything up. I'll see how well my phone's camera takes some pics when I clean them all here in a little bit and try to post some pics of the 10/22's bolt and reciever.

MMichaelAK

Single-Sixer
23 years of Ruger 10/22 and I have never seen or heard of a bolt wearing out with a couple bricks of ammo through the gun.

My kids and I regularly put a brick or two through the two I own and I have never replaced a bolt.

They get dirty but .22LR ammo is dirty by definition so thats gonna happen. Just a great way to teach kids how to take care of a .22.

Of the two I have, one I bought brand new, the other was a used gun. Only parts I have replaced have been t/h/s/springs/extractor/bho and recoil buffer but never a bolt itself.

If you want it for a project gun, go for it. They go for $175 in rough used shape here, between $175 and $225 used by model, and $200-$250 new.

What I was meaning about the price was to give the friend a fair price or better. ... then again that probably did not need to even be said. I think $150 is fine

then again, for some of us and older gun that hasn't been used can be worth more than a brand new one. I suspect you will actually value that 10/22 more once you get it up and pretty than you ever would one you picked up new.

20 degrees for sure could have a little something to do with the SR9 troubles... it would have a lot to do with me not shooting werth a dern...

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
I actually ran into a guy I know, and come to find out he's had quite a few of them over the years. He told not to worry about it and shoot the rifling smooth. lol

Just got back from the farm and toyed around with it and the red-dot. 25 yards is spot on. But, every so often (8-10 round avg.) it misfeeds. The nose of the bullet gets stuck above the breech. No matter the type of ammo I use. The only mag I have is a Butler Creek 25 rd. The bullet will point to 2:00 or so. Do I need a new mag? Going to buy some anyway.

Bozack

Single-Sixer
From what I have been reading, $150.00 is a good price. I paid $175.00 for a used one here. Just keep cleaning the bolt and you shouldn't have any problems. As far as mags go, Ruger mags are the best. Any after market mags you get should have steel feed lips. The plastic ones wear out. That could be your problem with feeding.

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
The 1 mag I got has the plastic lips. I figured that was it. Otherwise, it shoots great. Here's some pics from the other day when I toyed around with the sight. Like I said before, got it dead on at 25 yds.

My 572, SR9, and (now mine) 10/22.
thefarm024.jpg

The target for sighting in the 10/22's red-dot.
thefarm026.jpg

Just how accurate the 572 is @ 70-75 yds.
thefarm018.jpg

And, what W. OK has been looking like for the last week.
thefarm022.jpg

My phone's camera can't get a clear, detailed picture of the bolt; but, I'm not worried about it anymore. Thank you everybody for the wisdom.

Latest posts