Advice on a single six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

blodgettb

Bearcat
I have a friend looking to sell a single six for somewhere in the neighborhood of $200. I haven't seen it yet, so there are quite a few details I'm not sure of, but I'm hoping I might be able to ask the board a few questions.
First, the little I know about the gun:
3-screw (exact date unknown)
safety modifications not done
barrel length unknown
blue (but bluing pretty badly worn)
firing pin broken
I have been assured by several people that I will really enjoy shooting a single six, but at this point I don't foresee having it for the long-term. I'd like to fix it up, get to know it, and then sell it, probably within a year or so.
My questions:
I've heard and read that the firing pin fix in this gun is difficult and likely best done by Ruger, even though they will make the safety modifications at the same time. Does that sound accurate?
Next, what criteria would you use to determine whether rebluing will help or hurt the gun's value? I'm assuming that it is elderly, but not historically significant...
Finally, has anyone had a single six refinished at Ruger lately? How was the work and how much did it cost?
Thanks in advance -- I've already learned a ton about Rugers from reading this board (I have a Mk II that I love) and look forward to hearing your opinions.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Welcome to Ruger Forum!

Planning on selling soon? Oh, jeez, why bother buying the gun and putting money into it? JMHO.

OK, changing a firing pin ain't all that difficult and a New Model part should work just fine.

Rebluing hurts the collector value, however, it all depends on what exact version of the Single-Six it is in the first place.

Ruger used to refinish guns for next to nothing, however nowdays it's up around $100 IIRC, and, of course, the conversion kit will be installed and your old parts, unrefinished, will be returned.

So, I dunno if I've helped or just "clouded the issue"? :D

flatgate

Chuckbuster

Single-Sixer
Buy
It make safe shooting wise
Keep it, you'll never have anything as much fun and useful!
my 2 cents worth, I probably owe you a penny and a half change :)
Kevin

Three50seven

Buckeye
It depends on how bad you want it. I picked up a nice 1970 single-six a while back at a gunshow for $200. It wasn't converted, but it also didn't have the box/papers or the mag cylinder.

Dusterman

Single-Sixer
Buy it,fix it,leave it as is and use it as your range shooter and enjoy it for many years to come I just bought 2 over the last month the first one I bought because I,ve been wanting one and it was a 3 screw but did not come with both cyls, the second one is in just as good condition and came with both cyls 1975 model I can't wait to shoot it (CA 10 day wait :evil: ). Enjoy,dusterman

blodgettb

Bearcat
Thanks for the advice, guys.
I'd say it's about unanimous that people tell me I'll want to keep this as a shooter once I get it - I'm starting to believe them...
Flatgate, do I understand you correctly that the firing pin replacement is something that can be done at home? I much prefer working on my own guns and would love to take on this project myself, but I've heard from several others that even some professional gunsmiths have trouble with single six firing pins.
If this is something I'd be able to do myself, I'd be all the more likely to take the plunge.
Thanks again.

the cross pin that holds the 'retainer' in place is "polished" ( blended in)with the final finish...you try and punch out the cross pin and MOST of the times they get "boogered" as this area is curved....yep, even if you get it "right" it will look like its been "replaced'.......if it was ME, and at that price, I could redo it myself, , as its only "time"....but as said above, if done anywhere,this price is high for that gun, with "issues", even the factory, the cost of the parts and the blue job, will put the gun out of a "normal" value price...too much will be in the gun...no telling what someone would charge you to 'replace' the firing pin,bet they would have to "see the gun first..." I'd skip it ,or better yet offer a price "accordingly"......................I got one last weekend, with a "mag only" cylinder for under $200.........................