Advertisements for 'wannabe warrior' equipment

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mobuck

Hawkeye
This is a constant thing showing up on my emails. I understand that there are some folks who have actually been there and used the plethora of slings, bags, vest, and similar kit and have become comfortable just having this stuff hung on their body but GEEZ, I couldn't even walk around with all the assorted bits and pieces being advertised for sale hung on me.
You know, I'm out here in the country away from public shooting ranges and such but do people actually show up at 'the range' with all this baggage? Maybe I just need to get out more? UH, no way.
I do have a complete 'GO TO WAR' vest/dump pouch/holster/ammo pouch(s)/holster/fighting knife setup hanging from a peg in case it's needed but it's not something I need to 'go shooting'.

Doons

Bearcat
Only time I have seen it, is during one of the tactical shooting classes I attend a couple times a year. I would say 20% (4-6 guys) show up “Battle Ready” for these classes. It seems a bit much to me but they seem to enjoy it. I‘m just an old gummer who attends to get some practice moving and shooting with a pistol and carbine. Several of the full battle rattle guys are really skilled with their shooters. Several are not 🙄. Me, I usually somewhere in the middle from a shooting skill perspective and the thought of putting on all that gear does not interest me. They seem to enjoy the classes, I enjoy the classes…. all good.

My wife calls it my “Rambo Saturday”… I stuff mags in my belt, cargo pockets and have considered carrying one in my teeth… there are exercises where I look like I’m doing some kind of interpretive dance to get to my mags…. Rambo I ain’t….. last Fall’s pic….

08764856-6E26-41FC-9819-E15937354F58.jpeg

kmoore

Buckeye
Never seen that stuff on the range. I also have tactical gear hanging in a closet along with a duty belt. They just need ammo and gear put in the pouches. I have never put the stuff on and took a photo. Same goes to firearms, I do not share photo's of any of that. I do try the gear on and inspect the stuff from time to time. I found that's important since it all shrinks as I age and needs adjusted to fit. Most of my old co workers have the same type gear, none wear any of it to the range or send photos to others while wearing it.
I should state that I had to wear most of that stuff to a range 3 times a year to qualify. I have several photos of me after winning some big matches with one of my rifle's and shooting gear on in cabinets with the award metals and trophies.

Last edited:
My range here on the farm is about 200 yds from my front door. Nope, no one has shown up even closely resembling that. I have a tactical vest from my LE days that has a couple of 30 rnd mags in it loaded, hanging up in grab and go configuration. When I was in LE, we all showed up in civvies, with our guns ammo and holsters in range bags at whichever range we were using that day.
gramps

Goldstar225

Single-Sixer
I haven't seen that (yet). Me personally I wore that stuff with LBE during my military time enough to last me a lifetime. During my LE career I kept a "bail out bag" in my unit. The load out was two spare magazines, extra shotgun ammo(buck & slug), toilet paper, two bottles of water, first aid kit, immodium, advil, rolaids and a couple of granola bars. Not very tactical I guess but I could hold a static position for a while with that.

jyo

Bearcat
I spent the best part of a couple of decades in the firearms business here in L.A. managing some major gun stores. Part of being in the business was hanging out with shooters of all types---new, old, young, females who had never held a gun (men too) and showing up at range events put on by gun makers and wholesale gun businesses. I enjoyed it all, of course, but a few instances stand out---some guys dressed in full-on military stuff---a guy who showed-up at the range wearing a full "Gilly suit" (!)---guys who had very little experience with firearms showing up with Barrett light 50s (!), and more... Like grandma used to say: "It takes all kinds to make up the world..."

Selena

Hunter
A long way from heaven and far too close to Chicag
Only time I have seen it, is during one of the tactical shooting classes I attend a couple times a year. I would say 20% (4-6 guys) show up “Battle Ready” for these classes. It seems a bit much to me but they seem to enjoy it. I‘m just an old gummer who attends to get some practice moving and shooting with a pistol and carbine. Several of the full battle rattle guys are really skilled with their shooters. Several are not 🙄. Me, I usually somewhere in the middle from a shooting skill perspective and the thought of putting on all that gear does not interest me. They seem to enjoy the classes, I enjoy the classes…. all good.

My wife calls it my “Rambo Saturday”… I stuff mags in my belt, cargo pockets and have considered carrying one in my teeth… there are exercises where I look like I’m doing some kind of interpretive dance to get to my mags…. Rambo I ain’t….. last Fall’s pic….
Interesting, out of curiosity how many magazines do you normally carry? My sister in law is always trying to come up with ideas for smaller items to build from her deer leather. Multi-pocket magazine pouches that slide onto a belt might be an option for her.