Advantage to the three screw?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Allen207

Single-Sixer
So I know they aren't made any more and they are collectible. I know the quality in days gone by may have been better. Beyond those points, what makes the old three screw single actions so desirable?

COR

Blackhawk
They make you look much classier at a BBQ and chicks dig 'em.

It's also because they aren't made anymore and the quality of days gone by was better...Oh yeah and that transfer bar thingy...and they make the proper number pf "clicks" when cocked.

Did I mention that chicks really dig 'em?

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Actually, the "quality in days gone by" is something that many of us are willing to pay extra for, in comparison to what's being shipped by most companies today. That's the #1 thing to make them valuable, imo.

#2 would be the simpler lockwork that enables you to have a better trigger.

#3 is simple collectability. Like land, they're not making it (them) any longer.

-- Sam

lisa1lacy2

Bearcat
COR":1dv2rmin said:

It's also because they aren't made anymore and the quality of days gone by was better...Oh yeah and that transfer bar thingy...and they make the proper number pf "clicks" when cocked.

I have to agree nothing sounds better than cocking a old three screw

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
Other than the four clicks on cocking, and the better trigger, I think it's the romantic connection to the old west. Those were the days when the only safety required, was between the ears. :wink:

EarlFH

flatgate

Hawkeye
Some of the Old Model/3 Screw revolvers were made in very small quantities. That fact makes them rare and rare things have this habit of being desirable.
Flatgates, Flattops, Plated Super Single-Sixes, Long Frame Supers, Hawkeyes, "S" guns, "D" guns, Brass Grip Frames, Boxes, Shippers, etc., etc., etc........

flatgate

lisa1lacy2":3s2265fv said:
COR":3s2265fv said:

I have to agree nothing sounds better than cocking a old three screw

Well how bout when your're at the BBQ and the Blond Chick wispers in your ear "Let me see you click"

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
Great trigger, slick action, half cock, safety cock, simplicity.

I treat them as different guns altogether than my new models even though they are functionally the same.

Wish there was someone close that could let you give one a spin...would make much more sense then.

Allen207

Single-Sixer
Well I just committed to the purchase of a 3 screw 357/9mm from ACRYLICTNK, so hopefully I will have the answer to my own question in a couple of weeks.

Thanks all for the input.

Axehandle

Buckeye
I think I have two three OMs myself..... :wink: While I have pretty much always had Blackhawks around there was a point in my life where I got rid of everything that did not have a Bisley grip frame... When JT's book Single Action Sixguns followed me home I warmed up a bit to old Rugers but my 3 screw frenzy really started when the NM FT 357s came out... I realized that this would bring the old FTs to the surface for a whole new generation of Sixgunners and they would be even harder to get.. So I bought my first OM FT 44... That was it... I will never be the same.. Sure I still love my NM Bisleys but those three screws..... and then RENE to explain the finer points ... It is killing me! But in a good way :D

alienbogey

Bearcat
Once you get your 3 Screw do yourself a favor and locate a similar New Model, then dry fire the old model, the new, the old, etc.

Then you'll realize how much better the trigger is on an unconverted 3 Screw.

americal

Hunter
Old Models have a certain look ---- feel-- smell-- history-- quality-- grips usually great-- steel shroud on early ones--- factory grips on one if get real lucky :shock: finish--- that cool BLACKBIRD-hawk--dragon :? just a neat symbol unlike any thing else --boxes are colorful and neat --If person can't see it :) just like trying to convince someone 1955- 57 chevy was A great bodystyle :!: can't see it hard to explain :wink: CONSERVATIVE.to the point of beauty :)

REP1954

Blackhawk
Wow I cant believe no one has mentioned how much better the positve loading gate action is.

Cholo

Staff member
All of the above + nostalgia. I was X years old when someone bought this. What's it's history? What was I doing back then? I have the same feeling for all my old handguns, just much more with OM SA Rugers.

Click click click CLICK; how sweet it was and still is...

FXWG

Bearcat
I have had a few New models, but my unmodified three screw Blackhawk is the best so far. 8)

GaSidewinder

Bearcat
In 1980 I bought an OM Blackhawk 45. It had a barrel on it that had been non professionally shortened and I wanted to put it back to the original length. I contacted Ruger and the only way they would do it was to convert my gun with the new transfer bar safety. I refused and finally found an old timer gunsmith that had taken an old model 45 barrel and changed it out to a bull barrel so he put mine back to original for me. The reason I wouldn't let ruger change it over is because I had a new model 44 magnum and trying them out side by side it was daylight and dark the difference in the actions. I got rid of the 44 as the 45 will do everything and more for me and do it a whole lot slicker.

Latest posts