Adjustable Sight Bearcat or Blued Single 10 4 5/8"?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WebleyMan

Single-Sixer
The last of my pre-Hillary EOTRAWKI (End Of The Republic As We Know It) handguns, and I can only afford one. But which one?

I am leaning towards the Bearcat for the "cool" factor. I know the adjustable sights on this model are somewhat polarizing. But I can barely the fixed sights on the standard model which has kept me from grabbing one. I love the size and weight. The small grip would also, I think, make it a better gun for my wife (who knows how to shoot, but doesn't, much) and my son (who does not shoot, yet) to practice with. I just think this little gun is too cool, though it might be harder to shoot well than the Single Six, even with the upgraded sights.

The Single Ten of course has a ten-round cylinder. Not sure this much matters for a gun that is going to see use on the range only. Also, I think (I will find out Monday when I check it out at my LGS) that the sights will be better for me than those on the Bearcat. The gun is a bit bigger and heavier, not really by much, but enough that I probably would NOT take it hiking, fishing or hunting with me. I had a 5 1/2" Single Six and just did not warm up to it. And it seems just a bit too big to be inconspicuous in the kit gun role. Plus, with the ten round cylindar and fiber optic sights, it seems to just out of the traditional single action genre to loose some of its appeal.

What say you, guys? Bearcat with adjustable sights, or Single Ten?

usmc6433-6437

Bearcat
Personally, neither of those two guns were on the 2013 AWB list, so I would not worry too much about the "Hitlery Factor" on those. In the light of that, seeing as though you kinda referenced it, I would buy which one would do me the best at the moment. Both of these are nice revolvers, and either one of them would do great, but if it were me, I would have to go with the Bearcat.

When you do find the one you want, post up some pictures! ;)

contender

Ruger Guru
May I suggest you take both the wife & son with you to handle each one to see what fits their hands the best?
If that is not an option,, then, if I were to be in such a quandary, I'd just buy both,,, knowing I was exercising my rights as much as possible.

WebleyMan

Single-Sixer
Well, getting both isn't going to be an option, as my budget is only going to permit one. I pretty much know my wife and son will both find the Single Six a bit large, as they didn't take to my 5 1/2" single six.

And getting my wife to go in to the LGS and handle pistols may have unintended consequences. She took a women's shooting course one day this past year (she had been taught to shoot as a child, but hadn't pursued it) shot a wide variety of hand guns and long guns, and came home saying that the pistol she both liked and shot the best, out of the .22s, 9mm's, .38s & .45s was by far ... the Sig 210. I'm scared to even think about what one of those costs now...

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Bearcat, Single Six I owned for a short time felt big and clunky to me, and I'm a large man, Bearcat just much better IMO.

WebleyMan

Single-Sixer
I went with the Bearcat. Nicely balanced. Very nice sights, good trigger. The Single Ten was also nice (and would have cost me $40 less) but just seemed too large to me...at that size & weight I want a .357.

I found as well that on the Single Ten, the fiber optic dots were much brighter on the rear sight than the one on the front sight. This seems pretty common with fiber optics both front and back, and really seems baskassward to me. C'mon, the FRONT sight should big and bright, the rear not so much. Better to just have the lite pipe in the front sight, and leave the rear sight black, seems to me.

I did though, like the grips on the Single Ten. Nice contours. The grips on the Bearcat while attractive enough, were not well fitted. C'mon, Ruger for $500, you can certainly do better on the grips. Heck, I could do better. And yes, I'd have them replaced regardless, but to have sharp corners, and horribly proud (and unevenly so) wood on a gun which is out of the "budget" class (IMO) really isn't right.

Overall, though, I am pleased with the gun.

louiethelump

Buckeye
I am a bearcat lover and have about six of them. I think the adjustable sight model is THE GUN for general family use. Some men find it too small but I don't even though I have pretty big hands. I have a single ten as well and took those stupid plastic sights off and replaced them with good solid metal sights. MUCH better shooter after that. The two frames (Single Six and Bearcat) are my overall favorites. I had one of my Bearcat Shopkeepers rechambered to 22 magnum and use it for a carry gun at times. (I know it is odd, but I like it) I found the ejector rod on the 3" to be too short to eject the empties in 22 magnum so I just removed the whole rod and use it like a Sheriff model with no ejector. It is easy to pop the cylinder out to unload it with the center pin. I doubt I would be reloading a single action if I had to use it for protection. If the six won't do the job it is in God's hands.

Sorry to rant.

Latest posts