Addiction !

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Leaving Idaho left me feeling kind of empty, and sad. Sad in that I'll never know when I'll see my new found friends, or those great mountains again. Empty, in the sense of not knowing when I'll ever get another huckleberry shake. The bigger addiction I left with, is the deep desire to blast another critter with a sixgun. What a way to wet the appetite, by killing a big old 750 +/- lb. cow elk, for your first handgun kill.

A week after I got back from Idaho, I left for my annual trek to WVa., for a few days hunting with my cousins. What rifle to bring, NOT ! The Bisley Hunter got the nod, again. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to hear her bark. All I saw was a lone doe, at 30 yds. I lined the ole' irons snug behind her shoulder, and cocked the hammer, for practice, with my left thumb infront of the hammer, for safety sake. She never knew I was there. When out of sight, I eased the hammer back down.

Today was opening day, in my home state. The county I hunt is shotgun only, but allows handgun ! YEE HAW !! :D . Time for another fix. I normally used my muzzleloader, during the shotgun season, to put the hunt back in the hunt. This year, I had something better. Mr. Bisley .45 colt. As sixshot told me several weeks ago, you never master the sixgun. This has resounded thru my head, since I heard it, over and over.

I got in my stand 40 minutes before dawn. It was really windy, and on the chilly side. My tree was swaying back and forth. Usually around this time, I asked myself, what the heck am I doing here, sitting in a tree, in the dark, freezing my tail off. As I watched a beautifull sunrise, and started hearing shots in the distance, I KNEW why. Around 8:30, a bunch of does were grouped up, and entered the wood thicket I was in. The thicket is a finger of woods, between 2 large corn fields. They were coming my way, fast. The lead deer, was the biggest. When she got 25 yards from me, I was ready. I already turned in their direction, when I first saw them, and cleared leather. When the first deer stopped, I lined up the sights, just inside her right shoulder, she was facing me. I then pulled the trigger, and watched Elmer's finest, 454424, strike her. She dropped at the shot, convulsed a few times, and the woods were still again.

About an hour later, I saw a buck working the wood line, heading my way, about 70 yds. away. At 45 yds., he ducked into the woods. He went about 20 yds. into the woods, and stopped. Standing in thick briars and thorn bush, I could clearly see his outline. He was broadside, at 45 Yds. Again, I lined up the sights, tight behind his shoulder. Shooting offhand, I thumbed back the hammer, and started my trigger pull. At the shot, Mr. Buck struck the ground ! Elmers finest did the job again.

These deer weren't the biggest, by far. But I tell you what, I'll never forget them ! My first and second handgun deer. The hunt is back in the hunt, and I feel pretty good right now, reliving those shots.

It's an addiction for sure. Hopefully, I'll be able to quench my new found thirst again, as I leave for Pa. tomorrow, for a 3 day hunt. You can guess what I'll be carrying. Now, if I can only find a Huckleberry shake............

mdhunt010.jpg

Here's my first deer of the morning. She'll be a good eating deer.

mdhunt014.jpg

Here's Mr. Buck , after being introduced to Elmers finest.

sixshot

Buckeye
Jeff, I could'n'e be happier! :D Thats great 2 deer on the same hunt..... & with a sixgun, it just doesn't get any better. Many will want your load & also, did the slugs exit, of course I know they did but the readers will want a full report, none of us can get enough of this kind of stuff. With a rifle if wouldn't be nearly as exciting. Surely they must have ran & ran & ran, you know cast bullets are slooooooow killers.
Having shot with Jeff & seen him take a cow elk, (I could see him & the elk in my binoc's) I can tell you, he is going to be an absolute terror with a sixgun, rifles will never share that same excitement.
Wish you were here Jeff, we'd make Callshot buy the huckleberry shakes! :wink: Again, congratulations, I'm as happy as you are!

Dick

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
My load for the deer hunt was from the same box of shells I loaded for Idaho. Elmers 454424, cast of water quenched wheel weight, lubed with LBT soft, loaded over 20 grs, 2400, sparked by Winchester large Pistol primer, in Starline brass. These clock out at 1200 fps. They weigh about 260 gr.

These loads easily penetrated my cow elk, broadside, exiting the off shoulder, from approx. 120 yds. On the deer hunt, they never slowed down, going thru both deer. On the first, it entered just inside the front shoulder, neck junction, exiting at the sternum. She was facing me. You can see the exit wound in the picture, by the blood. On the second, the bullet, again easily passed thru the lungs, broadside. Both deer traveled 2 1/2 to 3 ft., straight down ! :D

Everyone knows cast bullets are lousy killers, look at all the buffalo roaming the Great Plains ! :shock:

Dick, sorry for an incomplete report. I just assume everyone knows cast bullets mean total penetration, and devastating kills.

And Robb Barnes, that rear sight is getting a work out this year. Thank You again, my friend.

contender

Ruger Guru
Way to go Jeff!!!!!!!!
You definately have the bug!!!!!
Congrats on the double. Not many folks know to stay in a stand if they've killed a deer within sight of them. I've done is a bunch! Doubling on deer is easier than most think. Drop one in it's tracks,,with one shot,, and stay still & quiet. Quite often,, other deer will wander in to check out the dead deer.

Zeus

Blackhawk
Sorry for the delay Jeff, still on the road back home. CONGRATULATIONS! I was so happy, I even told my wife about this and she really doesn't care to hear about dead deer but I told her anyway. You are in trouble now...when your season is over, you'll be searching for something else to chase just to keep the trigger finger happy :) Take care and I'll talk with you soon.

GS

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Glenn, I'm just worried I might catch custom gunitis, you got the gears turning in my head............... :shock:

contender

Ruger Guru
Now Jeff, don't let Glenn lead you down the path he's taken. You might end up like him,, toting around a gun case with toys most folks just wish they could find and/or afford. :D
Remember,, those deer & elk all died the same,, & they didn't care if it was a stock Ruger,, or a TLA.
I say invest in some more reloading stuff, or a Barranti holster rig,, or adding a 41 Mag as a brother to the 45,, or,,,,,,,!

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
I'm trying to find a box big enough, with air holes, to ship myself, priority mail. Don't be surprised, if your mailman shows up, hernia ladden, panting, wanting to know what the heck you ordered from Md. :lol:

JOHNNY WACKO

Blackhawk
You better watch they don't ship you up side down.

Nice shooting on the deers,and good reading too..

Zeus

Blackhawk
I would definitely take Callshot's advice. Contender is exactly right, they all work the same plus my most trusted work horses are the same as one you already have in the FA persuasion. You can borrow anything else you may want to try, you just have to call. It may be a lot cheaper to scratch an itch that way.....I happen to know an FFL that lives near your address :)

By the way, I need an address on where to get one of those holsters, it looks like it holds plenty of ammo which I find particularly useful sometimes :) :)

Latest posts