Added a 44 Carbine to the collection today

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Teddydogno1

Single-Sixer
Was at a gun show today and bought a few odds and ends. One seller had several interesting guns that I looked at a couple of times. One was a Ruger .44 Carbine that looked like new (but old) and had its original box. Priced at $950, I didn't give it a second glance. The first time.

Waltzing back by, realizing that the price was likely negotiable and maybe not really that far out of line, I took a better look. The serial number is 131xxx (no dash) which I think makes it a 1968 or 69 rifle. Both the stock and metal are in excellent condition. It looks like it had a scope base installed at some point, but overall looks very little fired. The seller said it was his fathers and was shot a little early on and then put away. And it looks like it.

The box is brown cardboard lift off and has the proper serial number hand written on the end, along with stamps for the model number. There are cardboard holders inside for the butt and barrel and that's it. It has a manual that has yellowed quite a bit.

I offered $800 but he wouldn't go below $900. Because of the date it is C&R qualified which let me avoid a dealer transfer AND Washington's "Semi Automatic Assault Rifle" restriction and 10 full business day wait. So I made the purchase and brought it home.

ruger_44carb_box.jpg

ruger_44carb_boxend.jpg

ruger_44carb_inbox.jpg

ruger_44carb_left.jpg

The barrel legend
ruger_44carb_barrelmark.jpg

Receiver markings
ruger_44carb_recmark.jpg

Rob

Teddydogno1

Single-Sixer
Pics added to original post

I thought I remembered seeing some bluing loss on top of the receiver from a previously installed scope base. This morning, nothing. I might have seen an oil smear, weather balloon or swamp gas yesterday.

Rob

G2

Hunter
Nice acquisition, these older guns with the box IMO are better than coin in bank, especially with inflation ragin.

There not making them anymore… 😀

hittman

Staff member
A nice "shooter" around here will bring $750 - $800.

Ya done good. Congrats.