Added a .41 Mag to the stable

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hashknife Hartley

Single-Sixer
Local gunshop has had what appeared to be an essentially unfired, 4 digit, .41 Mag OM with 6 1/2" barrel, sitting in the gun case for most of this year with no takers; probably due to the price, they were asking $689 plus tax for it. It had been back to the factory for the conversion, but had the original parts with it, and I was kind of wondering if it had been refinished at the same time, due to the apparent condition. It was the aluminum sight and ejector rod type, no micro or steel housing so was not one of the really rare models, so I just tried to ignore it on my visits. Well, a week or so ago they lowered the price to $575 and I decided to try and make a trade for it, as I didn't have enough cash to buy it outright. Took a prefix number Super with non original grips and about 95% or so and made the trade for a little extra cash, after pulling the cylinder and checking for fitting marks on the breachface, and I'm now the proud owner of a 4 digit .41 Mag, something I didn't have before. Another box to look for on E-bay.
Here's a few pics of it:
377594447.jpg

377594402.jpg

377594358.jpg

377594336.jpg

377594304.jpg

Guess I'll be watching for a short barreled one also if I ever get enough $'s together again to seriously consider getting one; gotta' sell something.
HH

BlkHawk73

Hunter
VERY nice! I fell into my 4 digit .41 (unconverted 6 1/2" also :) ) about the same way. No intentions of buying that day - just browsing and there it was. Couldn't resist for $425.
Those grips... Really nice BTW. :)

gregs45auto

Single-Sixer
AAAHHH the thriving metroplis of Dewey!! Blink, and you are thru the town. Loved exploring places like Jerome and the back country around Roosevelt lake as a kid. 41 mags grow on you. I picked up a 4 digit 4 5/8" om 41 mag. It had been converted but had the old parts also. 425 otd and I sprained my wrist gettin out the money. Good hunting. greg

45Colt_Man

Blackhawk
I believe everyone should at least try a .41mag. I think they are great. Don't shoot them from a .45Colt you have along at the range at the same though. They keyhole and the cases look real weird. Don't ask how I know. :lol:
I still have an Old Model NIB.

Seriously the Ruger .41mags shoot great.

Dana

G2

Hunter
Grip medallions are the semi rare neck feather black birds. I thinks about circa late 66 early 67.
Nice gun.

Hashknife Hartley

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the comments everyone, I just learned the gun has something a little special, I didn't even notice it had the neck feather grips. Thanks for pointing it out G2 and I'm assuming that's what Blkhawk73 was talking about in mentioning the grips. Anyway, this is the second Ruger .41 Mag I've had, I had one for several years back in the '69-71 period when I lived in Santa Fe. I also had a S&W .41 Mag (the cased one) and could shoot the Ruger a lot better than the 'Smith, so I liked it better.
Come on up Chance, there's a few Ruger's to be seen up here, but they're mostly pretty pricey. The shop I got this one at has a .357 in about the same condition, same price, but it's a prefix serial# one, so a little overpriced in my estimation. They also have a 4 digit flatgate in maybe 90%, but it's all there and no conversion. J&G Sales has a nice '58 roundgate, 103XXX, but it's been converted, no parts, and doesn't have the original grips. At $279, it's marginal on price, but would be nice with the proper parts; I was seriously considering it before I bought the .41 as I have the proper parts and grips.
Thanks again everyone for the nice comments.
HH