Accurate #7

Help Support Ruger Forum:

NC FNS

Single-Sixer
I was able to get a pound of Accurate #7 recently. I use #2 and #5, and saw the thread on #9, but don't recall seeing much about #7. Please chime in if you use it and give me your 2 cents. Thanks.

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
I've used AA#7 in 45auto, 9mm, 357mag and 30-30 with cast boolits. I always keep AA#7 on hand since it's a little faster than #9 it tends to work better in my 3" SP-101 (357mag). And after discovering the joy of shooting cast boolits in the 30-30 with "pistol powders", AA#7 has become my favorite just slightly edging out A-2400 and Unique. I use more AA#9 than anything else, but I always have the AA powders 2,5,7 and 9 on hand ... more so now since Alliant powders (specifically Unique and A-2400) are very scarce.

So, I'm another fan of AA#7

jd

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
forgot to mention I also have loads for 44 mag and 44 spl that use AA#7, mainly with cast bullets (which is over 90% of what I shoot).

To me, AA#7 is kinda like Unique in it's versatility .... it may not be the "best" in anything, but it will work well in a whole lot of things. Actually, I found that it may actually be better in my 3" SP-101, 357 mag, as it has a faster burn rate than my favorite (AA#9) and tends to have a more complete powder burn and a lot less muzzle flash - with slightly lower velocity from the 3" barrel. Just my experiences.

jd

Rclark

Hunter
I didn't like it for .45 Colt, and it was ok in .44 Special .. but nothing special :) . Appears that is all I ran tests for with this powder. YMMV of course.... AA#5 worked better for my applications.

NC FNS

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the replies so far. I may use it in 9mm eventually (been buying my SP primers with 9mm cases, powder and bullets attached recently). Will probably try it soon in 45 acp and 38 special.

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
The LEE 2nd ed. lists Accurate #7 first in the lists for 9mm (115 gr cast or jacketed) and for .45 acp (230 gr cast or jacketed). I do reload and shoot both of those, a lot less than revolvers and lever guns, and AA#7 has always worked well in the "bottom feeders" for me.

jd

Latest posts