Accuracy...?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

revhigh

Hawkeye
NC-P95":16ggkbsm said:
Thanks REV!

Whew... this is like trying to learn to play golf!

You're welcome ... and it's about 100 times easier than golf :D

REV

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Just FYI, "Fig. 2" is what they call a "pumpkin ball" sight picture. You'll hear that a lot in target shooting.

I go back and forth. I'm actually better using a sight picture like "Fig. 1", but it doesn't work on all my guns. I admit too that I spend way too much time aligning my sights, looking at my sights and the target, etc, etc. I need to spend more time on the "Front Sight! Front Sight! Front Sight!" mantra. Of course, you're going for different results if you're doing precision shooting versus defensive shooting, too...

-- Sam

NC-P95

Bearcat
Yosemite Sam":2kazc94k said:
I need to spend more time on the "Front Sight! Front Sight! Front Sight!" mantra.

Can you please elaborate on this "front sight" mantra a bit..? I've read and watched videos where it was mentioned, but it must be something that "everyone should already know" that no one seems to delve much into it...

If, based on what I've read/watched on the web, it just means concentrating on your front sights and putting your front sights on the target, correct? If this is correct, my assumption would be, that regardless if the front sight if on the target or not, if it's not lined up with the rear sights, you're gonna miss your target... I just moved the rear sights on my P95, and it made all the difference in my accuracy...

Thanks again!

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Next time you practice lining up your sights (empty pistol of course), pull the gun up quickly, you should find your rear sights right away but you'll search a bit for the front, the mantra means to always find the front before pulling the trigger. With practice this will come to you faster in time.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
The issue is that the human eye can only really focus on one thing at a time. Anything else is peripheral vision, to some degree. The idea behind the mantra is to get you to focus on the front sight, let both the rear sights and target go blurry, and train your brain to process that sight picture. It was introduced to me as a training aid for defensive shooting, but apparently target shooters use the same idea.

Personally, I've had limited success with it at 25 yard or more targets, as things get so blurry I can't tell if I'm shooting at the bottom of the 4" circle or the top, so I end up focusing on the target, then back on the sights, then back on the target. Doesn't make for fast shooting.

But, like shooting with both eyes open, I keep trying and hoping for improvement.

-- Sam

NC-P95

Bearcat
Yosemite Sam":1zrwaokv said:
The issue is that the human eye can only really focus on one thing at a time. Anything else is peripheral vision, to some degree. The idea behind the mantra is to get you to focus on the front sight, let both the rear sights and target go blurry, and train your brain to process that sight picture. It was introduced to me as a training aid for defensive shooting, but apparently target shooters use the same idea.

Personally, I've had limited success with it at 25 yard or more targets, as things get so blurry I can't tell if I'm shooting at the bottom of the 4" circle or the top, so I end up focusing on the target, then back on the sights, then back on the target. Doesn't make for fast shooting.

But, like shooting with both eyes open, I keep trying and hoping for improvement.

-- Sam

Thanks Sam!

Sounds like I'm on the right track then as far as aiming and sight picture... At first, it was really cumbersome to me to shoot with both eyes open, focused on the front sight, and still have any idea where I was aiming in relation to the target, since everything was fuzzy... But I'm starting to get the hang of it now. I was just afraid that I was "learning wrong" and didn't want to have to go back and "unlearn" later... In my experience, that's harder than learning the right way to begin with...

Thanks again!