Accuracy...?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AZ Outlaws

Bearcat
I don't need no stinkin education, I'm a natural!!

J/K... Rev is right, shooting well is a skill that has to be learned and practiced.

NC-P95

Bearcat
revhigh":18ozzqqz said:
I guarantee I could have you shooting 4 inch groups or less at 50 feet within ONE box of shells, 6 inches at 25 yards with a P95 may take some practice, but 4 inches at 50 feet ? ... no sweat.

The problem with most shooters, is simply that they've never been taught to shoot ... simple as that. Very few people can just pick up a gun and shoot it effectively without a little education.

Shooting small, tight, groups is really a lot of fun ... of course so is doing stuff like steel shoots, which is far more practical training for the REAL world. Most good shooters do both ... ALOT.

REV

Thanks REV,

As far as "shooting" goes, I'm OK with my rifles, I'm sure most everybody else in the world is too... Handguns are a totally different animal though...for me at least. There's no one around close to me to train me handgun shooting...I live in the sticks...and way back in the sticks too... I've watched videos on the internet about proper handgun shooting, but I get conflicting "lessons" from those... I hear to squeeze the P95 hard as I can, then another place will say not to... Personally, my last shooting, I found the looser I held the pistol, then more accurate that I was...go figure...

Since I'm not "chisled in stone" about handgun shooting, I hate learning bad habits, then having to break them later... Sure wished that I could learn it right the first time...

Thanks again!

Jumping Frog

Bearcat
NC-P95":2vz02b8c said:
I'll probably be $2,000 in ammo before I'll ever be able to get me and my P95 in 5"-6" at 25 yards consistently. :lol: Remember, I already said I wasn't a great shooter!
90% of accuracy is trigger control, and consistent dry fire practice can make a huge improvement in trigger control. You don't need to drop $2,000 in ammo to practice trigger control.

GhosT

Blackhawk
NC-P95,

Found yer last post interesting to say the least.

NOTE...self taught with handguns...started with them 1981.
I made ALL THE MISTAKES....and nothing harder than UNLEARNING BAD HABITS...lol

"I hear to squeeze the P95 hard as I can, then another place will say not to..."
BTW own a P95 :)

Ya don't Squeeze a gun...
Ya hold it like a firm handshake, but not trying to crush the other guys hand.

Slow fire yer P95...with a firm 2 hand hold.
Pull the trigger slowly(never yank it back) at 25 yards.
When, and only when ya get groups happy with...then slightly increase speed.
Then it is just a matter of practice...increase speed as ya get better.

Yer used to rifles, handguns are a different animal.
They take more time,effort...and alot more rounds to get good with :lol:
But not only is it worth the effort, it is fun getting good with them :D

sicboy13

Single-Sixer
I assume it's me, but I couldnt even hit a target at 25 yards, let alone worry about shot placement.

I havent tried much at that distance(25 yards), but if my 3, 7, & 10 yard shooting is any indicator, I need to hold off on wasting ammo at that distance yet.

Keep in mind, I'm not blaming my P95, but I'd have better luck throwing a round down range right now & hitting the target :)

I've never fired from a bench or a bench rest of any kind, I wonder if that could be my problem?

revhigh

Hawkeye
GhosT":3slpygse said:
Slow fire yer P95...with a firm 2 hand hold.
Pull the trigger slowly(never yank it back) at 25 yards.

Start much closer ... maybe 7 yards ... until you get groups of 3 inches or less ... then move back to 10 yards, and repeat .... then 15 yards .... then 50 feet .... THEN 25 yards. Do not move back until you consistently shoot groups of 3 inches or LESS.

It'll be a while before you get to 25 yards ... trust me.

REV

Spikess

Bearcat
NC-P95":ybmuqa1n said:
I read a lot on this forum about accuracy of handguns... Exactly what would you consider to be accurate?

I had a Kel-Tec 9mm a few years ago, can't remember the exact model, but I couldn't hit a #7 washtub at 10 feet with it...really... I wouldn't consider that to be inaccurate, but useless...

At any rate, what would you consider to be "accurate"? Holding "X" grouping at "X" yards...etc.?

Just curious what you would consider accurate and inaccurate...

Thanks in advance.

From 5 - 7 - 10 feet to sometimes 10 or 15 yds., my P95 will keep 'em inside the 9 ring on a B-27 target doing double taps and sometimes the Mozambique drill. (Two to the chest - one to the head.) And that's with cheap practice ammo. I'm sure the Hornady "Critical Defense" stuff I keep for serious situations would do even better. That's plenty accurate enough for this gun IMHO.

NC-P95

Bearcat
Good news!

Finally the mercury climbed above single digits today so I took that opportunity to shoot my P95 again... I hadn't shot it since I put the rear sights in the middle of the slide a few days ago. I don't know if it was that movement, or I was just more confident in it, but it shoots where you put the sights now! At 45 feet/15 yards, I can consistently keep my groups in 4 inches...or I did today. I did get lucky one time here and put one through the bullseye... The shots are consistently a bit low of the bullseye, but I'll correct that... I put 100 rounds through it today and it seems like the more I shoot it, the better it shoots!

Below is an image of one of the last target that I shot from 45 feet/15 yards... This one has 12 holes in it, I didn't think to remove the target and keep it until I'd already pumped 2 more rounds into it... I appologize for the image quality, it was taken with my phone...

IMG00037.jpg

revhigh

Hawkeye
NC-P95":38ldo0dy said:
The shots are consistently a bit low of the bullseye, but I'll correct that...

Good shooting NC ... usually, consistent low shots like yours are caused by jerking the gun downward when pulling the trigger. Sit in your living room with an UNLOADED gun and practice dry firing. Practice making sure that the sight picture DOES NOT CHANGE during trigger pull. If you are jerking or slapping the trigger you'll get your effect. Slowly squeeze the trigger and make damn sure that when the trigger releases, the sights haven't moved AT ALL. Once you perfect that, take it to the range and your low shots will be a thing of the past.

Incidentally, the most-used sight picture is this .... Front sight centered in rear slot, equal daylight on either side, with the top of the front AND rear sights LEVEL with each other. The bullseye should be sitting on TOP of the front sight. Very few good shooters 'split' the bullseye with the front sight ... in other words, have the top of the front sight aligned with an imaginary line connecting the bullseye's 3 oclock and 9 oclock positions.

REV

NC-P95

Bearcat
Thanks for the target Mike J.

REV,

Just to be sure, I'm attaching a sight picture... Please tell me which sight picture you are recommending...

Thanks in advance, I know it's difficult to give shooting lessons via the internet! :lol:

sightpicture.gif

revhigh

Hawkeye
Hey NC !

Figure 2 ... it's easiest to register with your eyes. If you sight your guns in (if you have adjustable sights) with figure 2, so that it hits the center of the bull with the figure 2 sight pic, you're perfect. That's assuming a reasonably sized bullseye, like 1 - 2 inches. Some targets have a black area about 8 inches in diameter ... I'm not talking about that. For fixed sight guns, I still use FIgure 2, and wherever the group ends up is where it ends up.

I use plain white paper with a 1 inch orange dot pasted in the top half and one in the bottom half ... that way I get two targets per piece of paper.

Try it !! You'll like it !

REV

NC-P95

Bearcat
Thanks REV!

Figure 1 was how I was sighting on my last practice round... This is the picture of the target that I uploaded previously...

I'll pay more attention the next time to see whether I'm dropping my head or breaking my wrist causing my shots to go low too...

Whew... this is like trying to learn to play golf! :)

Thanks much for everyone's assistance!

Latest posts