Accuracy...?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

NC-P95

Bearcat
I read a lot on this forum about accuracy of handguns... Exactly what would you consider to be accurate?

I had a Kel-Tec 9mm a few years ago, can't remember the exact model, but I couldn't hit a #7 washtub at 10 feet with it...really... I wouldn't consider that to be inaccurate, but useless...

At any rate, what would you consider to be "accurate"? Holding "X" grouping at "X" yards...etc.?

Just curious what you would consider accurate and inaccurate...

Thanks in advance.

revhigh

Hawkeye
3 inches or less at 25 yards, which translates to about 1.5-2 inches at 50 feet, I'd say is plenty accurate for me. I've never seen a Ruger semi-auto that would do that .... except maybe a P90. When you get up in the 6+ inch groups at 25 yards, you're into the 'combat accurate' arena, which is where most Rugers fall.

REV

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I talk a bit about accuracy here now and then, I agree with REV, a good gun with a good shooter should be able to shoot 2" groups at 50', free hand. There are guns made that cannot do that, that doesn't make them useless, just makes them not so accurate.

tkarter

Single-Sixer
Been a long time since I have shot for groups although I used to.

Now days it is shoot into a paper plate while on the move and have all shots in the plate that makes my guns accurate enough.

When and if I am going for blow the x out of the target I get my P89 out.

tk

NC-P95

Bearcat
Just crossed my mind too, that maybe there is 'accuracy' and 'required accuracy' meaning depending on what the primary purpose of the handgun is, a certain accuracy would be desired.... correct?

For instance, I have a P95 and it's primary purpose, in my possession, is for home/self defense... SO, if the handgun, and I combined (I'm not a great shooter), could hold 12" in 50 feet, for my gun's intended purpose, that would be "good enough", I'd think... correct?

I'll probably be $2,000 in ammo before I'll ever be able to get me and my P95 in 5"-6" at 25 yards consistently. :lol: Remember, I already said I wasn't a great shooter!

I supposed I was just looking for a point, should I ever reach that point, when I'm shooting, accurately, as good as my equipment will allow...

Thanks for the responses!

NC-P95

Bearcat
tkarter":18z3k3yq said:
When and if I am going for blow the x out of the target I get my P89 out.

I'd consider myself a "new" shooter... Although I've owned guns my whole life, I've not practiced a lot... The first auto pistol that I owned was a P89... Even as a new shooter, that pistol was like shooting a rifle for me... For some reason, I got the urge to have a P90, and sold my P89, and got the P90... I was surprised when I read the forums about the P90 being one of the most accurate pistols that Ruger put out... I wasn't nearly as good it as I was my P89...not even close... All of that was years ago, and I've not even had an auto in several years up until I got a P95 a few weeks back... Maybe it's just me, but I don't believe, accuracy-wise, that the P95 is nearly as accurate, out of the box, as my P89 was, years ago... At least that's my recollection...

Maybe it's just gonna take some time to get used to the P95 for me... Not that I'm terrible with it, I'm just not as good as I need to be...or want to be...

Sure wished I could find my ol' original P89.... :cry:

Any tips that you can give on better shooting the P95 will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

tkarter

Single-Sixer
Work on the grip with the P95. Use less trigger finger and quit thinking about the shot. Just make it.

I practice and generally while on the move have 7 shots in 3 inches or less on that paper plate using my P95. 10 yards usually but have done the same at 20.

The Ruger P series is very accurate for those of us that they seem to fit.

My P95 feels like I am pointing my finger instead of seeing sights.

I think confidence also helps.

tk

Snake45

Hawkeye
Cheesewhiz":3uadloxk said:
I talk a bit about accuracy here now and then, I agree with REV, a good gun with a good shooter should be able to shoot 2" groups at 50', free hand.
I agree, I think. What exactly does "free hand" mean?

tkarter

Single-Sixer
50 feet most any of my guns are as accurate at as they are 21 feet. I find it is the way I shoot on any given day as to how accurate they are at either.

tk

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Snake45":3sdqjsgx said:
Cheesewhiz":3sdqjsgx said:
I talk a bit about accuracy here now and then, I agree with REV, a good gun with a good shooter should be able to shoot 2" groups at 50', free hand.

:lol: :lol: , two hand, weaver, unsupported, Snake, when I wrote that post I was talking to my friend about an Olympic event, sorry.

NC-P95

Bearcat
tkarter":1980hoax said:
50 feet most any of my guns are as accurate at as they are 21 feet. I find it is the way I shoot on any given day as to how accurate they are at either.

Well, I did get a little more "spring in my step" today, when I thought of this:

I go on February 6th to start my CCW course, and I wasn't sure of the distance that I have to qualify with my gun, just hadn't asked, just been "practicing"...breaking my P95 in... wasting bullets! Well, I found out today that the distance for qualification for CCW is 25 feet... I wasn't sure at what distance I'd been shooting at up till now, I don't have a "range", I live in the country, so I just go outside, hang a target on a tree limb, walk back "a spell" and start shooting... SO, today I actually took a tape measure, and measured the distance that I'd been shooting and it was roughly 90 feet.... Then I measured off 25 feet, put my target up and it was like shooting fish in a barrel...

I'm not sure what the requirements are for qualification for CCW is, from an accuracy standpoint, but I'd guess if you can group 4"-5" you'd be fine...and from 25 feet, I can do that just fine.

Double Maduro

Single-Sixer
NC-P95,

If you are using the gun for self/home defense, then "minute of bad guy" at whatever range you are shooting is "accurate".

You will probably never have to use your weapon beyond 10 yards or so, if you do use it at a greater distance than that, be ready to go to court, unless the bg is shooting at you it will be hard to convince anyone that you feared for your life, at 25 yards.

Paper plates are good targets when practicing your combat drills, silhouettes are better but some places frown on shooting at human shaped targets. Paper plates are about the same size as the pump room of a human being.

If you can hit a paper plate in the middle consistently, while moving, you are accurate enough for most self/home defense situations.

Start by practicing with an empty gun held at your side, bring the gun on target and dry fire. When you get to the point where you are proficient with this, do the same thing but draw from the holster. When you have mastered that it is time to move to the range.

Most ranges won't let you draw from the holster, so load one round, hold the gun below line of sight, raise the gun, adding the second hand, bring the gun on target and fire.

When you master that, go to 2 rounds etc.

With a little practice you will master this, then go to a range probably in the woods and start over, moving as you shoot.

You'll get the hang of it in no time.

Good luck and let us know how you progress.
DM

tkarter

Single-Sixer
And when you are in a real fight bring the gun up just under your chin both hands and empty the sucker you will hit enough to end the fight. If you are looking at the trouble that is.

tk

Snake45

Hawkeye
Cheesewhiz":9a2ujb3w said:
Snake45":9a2ujb3w said:
Cheesewhiz":9a2ujb3w said:

:lol: :lol: , two hand, weaver, unsupported, Snake, when I wrote that post I was talking to my friend about an Olympic event, sorry.
Ah, okay, got it! Then yes, I agree.

I get so tired of reading gun rag reviews where they talk about the groups they shot "offhand," while the pics show them shooting two-handed, not offhand at all. And I really doubt most of those guys could shoot the groups they talk about offhand. Ol' Charlie Askins prolly could, but not too many of the others who misuse the term.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Off hand is a nebulous term, free hand is one hand, unsupported as in "bullseye" and olympic .22 pistol shooting.

tkarter

Single-Sixer
Offhand is how you shoot the horse that just bucked you off before you hit the ground. :D

tk

Snake45

Hawkeye
Cheesewhiz":325apesp said:
Off hand is a nebulous term, free hand is one hand, unsupported as in "bullseye" and olympic .22 pistol shooting.
For 40 years I've thought it was exactly the other way around. :? In fact, I've only seen the term "free hand" used in shooting (as opposed to, say, drawing) three or four times in all that time.

Heard of "free style" shooting many times, but not "free hand."

revhigh

Hawkeye
I consider 'offhand' unrested, a two hand grip, either weaver or isoceles is still offhand to me. Maybe I'm wrong about that from a technical point of view.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
NC-P95":3w331ph9 said:
I'll probably be $2,000 in ammo before I'll ever be able to get me and my P95 in 5"-6" at 25 yards consistently. :lol: Remember, I already said I wasn't a great shooter!

I guarantee I could have you shooting 4 inch groups or less at 50 feet within ONE box of shells, 6 inches at 25 yards with a P95 may take some practice, but 4 inches at 50 feet ? ... no sweat.

The problem with most shooters, is simply that they've never been taught to shoot ... simple as that. Very few people can just pick up a gun and shoot it effectively without a little education.

Shooting small, tight, groups is really a lot of fun ... of course so is doing stuff like steel shoots, which is far more practical training for the REAL world. Most good shooters do both ... ALOT.

REV