Accuracy testing a Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

j_unzicker

Bearcat
I know this is an old thread, but thought I would add this pattern I shot today with my 6.5" barrel
Best I've ever shot. Couldn't believe it.

Attachments

• IMG_4392.jpeg
    IMG_4392.jpeg
    517.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_4393.jpeg
    IMG_4393.jpeg
    222.2 KB · Views: 75

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Digging up an old thread but:

Yes, it is a very effective handgun cartridge. I have a number of 22mag revolvers and they all shoot very well, regardless of barrel length. I don't know who started this train of thought, but it's wrong.
Yes, the person above me necro-posted. Are all of your good shooting 22WMR revolvers 22LR guns with a conversion cylinder? If so, I'm impressed. If they are dedicated 22WMR, you made my point.
I know this is an old thread, but thought I would add this pattern I shot today with my 6.5" barrel
Best I've ever shot. Couldn't believe it.
What distance and rested, etc.?

RugerForMe

Single-Sixer
For me I found that the Single Six falls into the 1022 category far as accuracy goes.
I went though 7 or 8 before I found 2 that I could shoot good. I had one that I could not hit a beer can at 25 feet.
The 2 I kept are both 3 screws, a 1963 .22LR came with an extra Magnum cylinder that doesn't really fit and a 1973 Single Six convertible that if I miss it my fault. I don't shoot enough anymore to consider myself a good shooter, but back in the 90's I was shooting over 500 rounds of .22LR a week, plinking and shoot matches. Plus everything else I was shooting

Elfego Baca

Bearcat
I purchased two Ruger single six dual cylinder blued new models the last few years. The 4 5/8" one is like new and I have yet to shoot it.
The 9.5" barreled one was purchased since I had a Colt buntline scout 60 or so years ago!
I was not impressed shooting it offhand at the 100 yard square plate. More misses that hits.
My bull barrelled histandard and ruger hunter shoot better at 100 yards.

Yes, the person above me necro-posted. Are all of your good shooting 22WMR revolvers 22LR guns with a conversion cylinder? If so, I'm impressed. If they are dedicated 22WMR, you made my point.
I have both. I have an old model 22Mag only, a single nine, a couple of old models that came to me with 22Mag cyl only, multiple new models with both cylinders and to top it off, an LCR. I have no complaints about any of them. Probably the one that I'm the least impressed with is a Heritage and frankly I haven't spent enough time putting it on paper to make that call. And yes, I've shot more than one that didn't shoot to my satisfaction.
22 Mag may have been originally designed as a rifle cartridge- but it has proven it's worth as a handgun round.

My 1977 convertible is as accurate a can be with both the .22lr and Mag cylinders. But my new favorite is the 1955 that I just picked up. It is amazingly accurate.

I would suggest that if you are having problems with the accuracy of a particular gun- get a properly sized rod and check cylinder alignment at lockup. Might be off a hair causing the bullet to enter the forcing cone at a slight angle.

Latest posts