Accuracy sucks II

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jronald

Bearcat
Barrel has been lapped, cylinders unified, barrel breach has been opened to 11 degrees. Barrel has been checked and does not seem to have any tight spots. Bullets have been cast soft, sized 453 - barrel and cylinder mouths measure 452+- - so if river don't rise, dam don't break 5/6/09 means range time with 6.2 Titegroup and 255 grain round nose bullets with Win primers in Starline brass and maybe a group and not cylinder bore.

jronald

Bearcat
Accuracy is better than before but, it still ain't what all the gun rags brag about or what I expected. Maybe! down to three inches from bench at 25 yards with 250 round nose and 6.2 of Titegroup. Bullets cast from whellweights Then . . . the gun stopped working. Trigger was just slack, when pulled zip happened, or could not cock the hammer and just double action worked or just double action worked, and then it worked either way. This new gun have 1500 rounds through it and I expected better.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
Well, the first thing I would do is shoot with some real 45COLT bullets, the Keith 454424, and if they were .454" in diameter I would smile. I would also drop that puny load as it is self evident it is NOT working and go back to some of the old standard loads that'd shoot well in nearly any old 45COLT no matter how ratty it was. I would start with loads flying at least 900fps.

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
We all get a lemon at some point. :(

Call Ruger and explain your woes (no reason to act like an ass).

Ask for shipping label (most likely they'll offer one anyway).

I've owned 15 or so various Ruger firearms and have only ever had a problem with one - an Alaskan. Sent it in on their dime and got it 3 weeks later. Didn't pay a dime.

Ruger'll do you right.

BowenBuilt

Bearcat
It really sounds like the trigger return/main spring has lightened just a tad too much. I had this same experience with the same gun.
If you have had all of this work done to this gun and the cylinder is tight in the frame and the gun is not spitting lead because of barrel cylinder alignment problems, I think I would try some different loads before I declared this gun a bust. I found that 2400 and H4227 solved my accuracy problems once the bullet speed got up to 1000 FPS. Or you may try a few jacketed loads in the gun. I am sure if you work on load development you will find a tack driving load that both you and the gun just loves. Don't give up on the gun over one load that does not produce. Also check the main spring to make sure you are getting the required amount of hammer force to fully ignite the powder, this can really make a difference in how accurate these particular guns shoot.

jronald

Bearcat
Good luck to me. Wed, 10-15-09 tired jacket Hornady 250, 10 grains Unique with Rem primers. Eh! Have ordered new main springs, standard weight. Ordered a RCBS swc 250 mold. Got lots of ideas, just don't have good weather to try them in. Wed night it was getting cold at the range and dark too.

BowenBuilt

Bearcat
Yes! I wish you the best of luck. Keep plugging away at it and you will find that magic combo that will make you smile like a possum. It wouldn't feel so good if it were easy.
Mine does the very best with the 250 Keith and 17.5 of 2400 or 20 grns of H4227. For an easy shooting load at 25 yards it's 8 grns of Unique and a Oregon Trail 255 RFP.