accuracy single six or bisley single six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hesco

Bearcat
from my understanding the bisley single six comes with a l.r cylinder only and barrel is specificly made for the .22lr, which should make it more accurate than a single six with the mag barrel. so my question, is the bisley model more accurate with .22lr than the regular single six

Single-Sixer
While I have no proof, I would highly doubt if Ruger was cutting different sized barrels for the Single-Six and the Bisley Single-Six. I hope someone who actually knows comes along though as it's an interesting question.

Axehandle

Buckeye
it is my understanding that ALL Single Sixes after 150,000 have a barrel in between the "ideal" diameter for a 22LR and the "ideal" diameter for a 22 Mag... Watch for Carl jumping with with the actual numbers soon... :D

Single Six accuracy can be a crap shoot... No way to know until you shoot it... Some say that Paco's tool really makes a difference.

http://www.leverguns.com/store/acurzr.html

David Clements has a trick he performs on them that makes them shoot better... Go here and read.. Look down close to the bottom of the page..

http://www.clementscustomguns.com/rugerrevolvers.html

Sugar River

Buckeye
Quick check - home gage dept:

If the shank end of a 7/32" bit enters the muzzle, it's bored for the mag cartridge. If not, it's LR only.

Pete

flatgate

Hawkeye
"Single Six Accurizing service: I have developed a process by which I can improve the accuracy of the stock Single Six by 30-60%. Charge for this will be on a gun to gun basis as not all will need the same attention. I will have to have your gun inhouse in order to give an estimate for this work. There will be a $50 fee for this inspection service which will be waived if you authorize the work I recommend. Approximate cost will run from $75- $350 for the accurizing." (Copied from Clements' web site.)

Whoa! That got my attention, Axe! I wonder what he does?

Back to the original topic..... yup, one barrel for all Single-Sixes since about 1960. And, no, I've yet to slug one and actually measure it...

My mid '80's stainless convertible shoots really well after I "Accurize" the ammo with Paco's invention.

flatgate

Axehandle

Buckeye
I haven't a clue. I asked him if it worked on 17s. David said, "No."...... If I had to guess I'd guess that it is something akin to what they call "Taylor Throating"....
I'm thinking we need to draw straws and the winner send a proven poor performer to David.... Take the time to shoot extensive paper before the gun is sent. Make sure that you keep ammo from the same lot for the after testing..... Surely the top end of the modification ($350) is a new barrel...

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
I don't know, but my SIngle Six 22LR/22Mag with the 9.5 inch barrel and a scope seem to make a pretty small pattern around the bulls eye on the target; I'd say the gun is more accurate than me and my eyesight.

Added: That's at 25 yards.

alukban

Bearcat
I got the itch for one last year. I really wanted a short barreld Bisley after reading an article by Taffin in American Handgunner. Clements had a decent turn around time and was very amiable over the phone. I bugged him to sell me a factory new Bisley for him to work on so that I could minimize the cost of shipping/buying guns all over the place. I think that he is one of the few 'smiths who does this. Even with those plans laid down, I couldn't wait so I ordered myself a regular, factory 6" barreled Bisley to play with in the interim. It shot great out of the box.

RugBisley22-targ1.jpg

When I finally got my Clements gun, it was able to do this. That 25y group is amazing IMHO. I was playing with the windage when I Was shooting those groups so they are kinda loating around left to right.

L1030498s.jpg

Photo_022308_002.jpg

L1030466s.jpg

It ended up having a new Douglas barrel put in because David said he couldn't get the chopped factory barrel to the accuracy he was hoping for. This one is handier to holster so I don't even touch my longer barreled Bisley anymore. It's incredibly handy+accurate in my opinion. The primary thing for rimfire handgun to me is for it to be ACCURATE. It helps to compensate for the caliber. It stays on me so I tend to shoot more stuff with it. It is easier to shoot the longer barrel gun accurately because of the increased sight radius. I think it makes a huge difference. It is too gawkily long for me to holster though. I like to think of the Clements gun as a COMPACT target gun that I can use to hammer tent pegs into the ground :)

P1000690.jpg

P1000669.jpg

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
I have heard that the Bisley Single-Sixes, at least the earlier ones, had a different bore diameter for .22LR only but I don't know if that's so or not. I have one of the early Bisley models with fixed rear sight and it is far and away more accurate than any of my other 5 convertible Single-Sixes. From a knee rested position, it is fairly rare that I can't knock down 5 standard rimfire rifle silhouette turkeys at 50 yards with one cylinder full with its favorite ammo. I think that's pretty decent performance for a fixed sight 6 1/2" barrel revolver. Fortunately it's favorite ammo also seems to shoot to the same POH/POI at 50 yards.

What always struck me as odd on those early Bisley single sixes is the fixed rear sight only adjustable for windage, and then by the difficult and imprecise method of tapping it. Fully adjustable sights seem to make so much more sense on a "target" .22, particularly since .22s are so ammo sensitive and group size/POI can vary greatly.

alukban-

Your revolver is nice enough, but I REALLY like the Rokon! My buddy has one, and they're pretty cool machines. Let's just say I now know they float...

End of hijack, back to revolvers!