Accuracy of the single six??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

stashu

Bearcat
Thinking about a 22 revolver and looking at the single six. One question though, I am worried about the accuracy of the single six. I called Ruger and talked to a service rep and he did say it's bored toward the 22 M and the 22M would have better accuracy than the 22lr. The reason why I want a 22 is because it fun and cheap to shoot. To those who have a single six and have shot both the 22lr and 22m have you noticed a significant difference in accuracy? I wish Ruger would make a plain old 22lr with no conversion cylinders. I did check the Bearcat but it's too small for me.

Thanks!!

Stash

Daveboone

Single-Sixer
I am sure others can weigh in hear more authoritatively than me, but I found the .22 LR to be considerably more accurate. I recall reading many moons ago that Ruger split the diff boring the barrel for optimum performace with either, unless I am mistaken...
The SS in .22 otherwise is a fine, accurate revolver. If you want more accuracy out of a .22, go to the semi Mark 11 or 111.

If you want a revolver, the single six Hunter model has a 7.5 inch barrel. I believe it is also just 22 LR. I've heard they are more accurate, but I don't have one. Or, some of the older single six models are 22 LR only but I'm not sure which ones. I think the Bisley single six models are 22 LR only, I do have one of those. It's pretty accurate. And yes, through my single six convertible, I've noticed the 22 wmr is more accurate.

If you want the ultimate in accuracy though, as said above, the Mark II and III's are the way to go.

flatgate

Hawkeye
The soft lead .22 LR bullets will usually obturate and fit the Single-Sixes' rifling. I've been a big fan of Paco Kelly's Accurizer tool for quite some time.
I can usually count on 1-1/2" groups at 25 yards with my .22's, if I do my part, that is.....

flatgate

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Daveboone":1kg0alk4 said:
I am sure others can weigh in hear more authoritatively than me, but I found the .22 LR to be considerably more accurate. I recall reading many moons ago that Ruger split the diff boring the barrel for optimum performace with either, unless I am mistaken....

I too have had better accuracy with my 22 LR than the mag. But I have only tried 1 type of mag ammo. I hope you're right about them splitting the difference. That would be an obvious solution.

As for accuracy, I get 2" or a little better groups at 20-25 yards from a rest with open sights. Most scoped Single Six Hunters will get well under 1" at that range. And the Hunters are convertables to (alway have been).

Larry from Bend

Single-Sixer
stashu":1ms0bnca said:
Thinking about a 22 revolver and looking at the single six. One question though, I am worried about the accuracy of the single six.
Stash

I don't know what you consider accurate but here's my experience: I have a blued 5 1/2" Single Six that I bought used (Shipped new in about 1994 and had the mag cylinder).
If everything's right (I and the Ruger are both in the shade - target is in the sun - no breeze and a good rest - I remember to follow thru to accomodate the long hammer fall) I can hit a golf ball @ a measured 25 yards 4 or 5 times out of six shots.
A golf ball is 1 3/4" in diameter. I can hit a 2 1/2" target much easier - pretty much all the time.

PS If you haven't been shooting a single action --- you must learn how to follow-thru because of that looong hammer fall. I CAN hit small targets SLIGHTLY easier with my S&Ws -- models 17, 18 & 41 but I've shot them for 30+ years.

+PS As I reread this I hope it does not come across as bragging -- not my intention. I shoot a lot! I enjoy the Single Six. Unless you are satisfied only with pure target accuracy, Im sure you'll enjoy one as well.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
I like to drag out this photo when questions about S6 accuracy comes up. It's slightly under an inch center to center. It's likely that most have seen it, so my apologies in advance. IMO, a good Super S6 (adjustable sights are easier for me to see with some lampblack applied) can shoot alongside ANY rimfire revolver and most of the selfloaders...JMO, Dennis (This is off the bench of course, in good conditions as Larry in Bend mentioned. My offhand skill ain't quite up to this level.... :wink: )
22WM001.jpg

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Plus one to Bucks Owin' remarks. I've got one from '73 that'll shoot close to an inch if I'm having a good "eyes" day. My S&W M-41 and a Colt Match Tgt from about 67 are marginally better...like 1/4" at 25 yds...even with their great triggers and short lock time.

Like all .22's, mine has some ammunition preferences...luckily, it does just fine with bulk Remington .22 Hi-Velocity HP's....Plenty good enough to hit unshelled walnuts off the fence rails at 25 yds. The pic below is a 2" square piece of masking tape shot at 25 yds...5 shots sitting.

Rodfac
Single-Six.jpg

alank2

Bearcat
Hi,

My one big concern buying a single six was accuracy with 22lr. I had read so much info on various forums and was torn on the issue, especially considering the price. I eventually plunked down the money and bought a 4 5/8" blued single six, and it is one of my favorite shooters.

I have noticed it is a little more accurate with 22mag, but honestly I don't think it is inaccurate with 22lr. You can use a tool like the Paco tool to reform ammo and I did find that reformed ammo shot with more accuracy like the 22mag stuff, but not so much better that is was worth the hassle of reworking it. I had a Waltz die and not the Paco tool. It worked fine, it was just extra work.

Good luck,

Alan

jimhoff

Bearcat
Bucks Owin":3728c9fr said:
I like to drag out this photo when questions about S6 accuracy comes up. It's slightly under an inch center to center. It's likely that most have seen it, so my apologies in advance. IMO, a good Super S6 (adjustable sights are easier for me to see with some lampblack applied) can shoot alongside ANY rimfire revolver and most of the selfloaders...JMO, Dennis (This is off the bench of course, in good conditions as Larry in Bend mentioned. My offhand skill ain't quite up to this level.... :wink: )
22WM001.jpg

Bucks---does that rest you made in your avatar, the wood one, does that do better than sandbags?

surveyor47

Single-Sixer
When I graduated college, my pistol instructor advised that I purchase a 5.5" Ruger Mk1 22 semi auto. He said that gun would teach me more about shooting than any gun on the market. My experience 35 years later is that he was correct. I have owned several 22 handguns over the years and here is my experience:

1970s Ruger Single Six: This is a trouble free gun. Good accuracy with FJM 22 Mag ammo, fair with 22 Mag JHP and poor with 22LR. All in all, it is a good gun, the best teaching gun ever made.

Early 1980s S&W K22: This gun had something in common with a stray female dog. It was a Bangor Punta gun with an action that felt like sandpaper. Ignition was unreliable, some rounds went off others did not. Spent a lot of money on gunsmithing and it remained a dog. I still want a GOOD K22, but theat lemony taste remains after all these years. These can be finnicky guns, prone to spitting lead (a barrel cylinder alignment issue). Like a stunningly beautiful woman, they deserve and require a lot of high maintenence.

Mid 1980s Colt Trooper Mark III: Slick as can be. This gun had an end shake issue, the barrel and cylinder would contact when the gun was loaded, requiring single action fire only, due to drag on the cylinder. Colts reaction was "What did you do to our fine revolver?- and NO, it CANNOT be fixed".

1990s Ruger MkII: Best 22 that I have ever owned. Accurate. Reliable. Easy to shoot. A real pain to reassemble after cleaning. The trick is to have the instrcutions right in front of you. Turn the gun what ever direction it says, when they say and be prepared to stand on your head holding it in a particular direction. If you follow the directions exactly, it works fine. I only take mine apart once annually.

In general, I have found that 22 revolvers tend to be finnicky and usually less accurate than semi autos. Its seems that my old pistol instructor knew what he was talking about.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
jimhoff":2md3to12 said:
Bucks---does that rest you made in your avatar, the wood one, does that do better than sandbags?
Actually, I made that for an 8 3/8" M29 S&W I used to shoot and it worked well for that gun. I should have made the rear part where the butt rests adjustable as to barrel length. The ejector button on most SA sixguns rest on the front pad which isn't good. Need to redesign when I get a round tuit, but it works OK when a gun fits it properly. I mostly just use sandbags now, more convenient until I can afford a Ran$om Re$t for testing... :wink:

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I have a 4 5/8" single six and a mkIII target. I have no issues with the accuracy of the single six at all and have never even put the mag cylinder in my gun. I am not a target shooter and just use the pistols for informal plinking and it is wonderful. The mkIII is a easier loading and faster shooting gun. But it seems when I get ready to go out shooting I grab the single six most of the time. I just like the single actions better also it makes a brick of 22's last longer.