Accuracy Comparison

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Beauetienne

Single-Sixer
I'm trying to decide on a gift for my son's graduation.

I've got it pretty much narrowed down to a P89 or P95. Size and material don't matter. Accuracy does.

Is there really any significant difference in accuracy between the two ?

If so, which is more accurate ?

TIA

meanc

Single-Sixer
Either one should work for that with ammo "IT" likes.

revhigh

Hawkeye
It'll be a real fine day if either of them gives that kind of accuracy at 25 yards. You 'may' get 4 if you get a good example, but 3 is very unlikely. I'd get the P95 either way.

meanc's right ... if you get a real good specimen, AND ammo it likes, you'll likely get 4 from a machine rest. You won't be shooting very often at 25 yards with either of those two offhand if you like hitting the paper, unless you're a VERY VERY good shot, or the paper's very big. Those two guns are 7-15 yard guns. Reliable as stones, but not exactly target guns, which they were never intended to be. If you want better accuracy at 25 yards, and that's the distance you shoot at, get a P90.

REV

S&W Fan

Bearcat
Just wanted to add my 2 cents. iv shot both. i think 90 percent of the time the gun is more accurate than the user is. Iv outshot a few pistolers with my p95 who were using quality kimber 1911s. Im sure theyre guns were capable of greater accuracy than my ruger was, but they just didnt have the practice time in. get him either ruger and tell him to practice practice practice. hel be on is way to nice groups in no time! you can have the nicest gun out there, but it wont matter if you dont practice!

revhigh

Hawkeye
S&W Fan":2jvdzsmx said:
You can have the nicest gun out there, but it wont matter if you dont practice!

Or you don't have the physical capability of shooting well. If you don't have that ... no gun will help ... no matter how accurate.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
sicboy13":j5n4wi9e said:
Showing my noob-ness here, but I seem to shoot low & to the left with my P95. I am 99% sure its just me being new, but how do I tell if my sights are off?

Make sure to use a little more of your finger on the trigger and concentrate on keeping it on the trigger, using a smooth, steady pull. I'm assuming that you are right handed, if not let me know.

sicboy13

Single-Sixer
Cheesewhiz":7axl7rug said:
sicboy13":7axl7rug said:
Showing my noob-ness here, but I seem to shoot low & to the left with my P95. I am 99% sure its just me being new, but how do I tell if my sights are off?

Make sure to use a little more of your finger on the trigger and concentrate on keeping it on the trigger, using a smooth, steady pull. I'm assuming that you are right handed, if not let me know.
yep, righthanded.

and sorry, didnt mean to hijack the thread, I have a P95 and love it! I would recommend it to anyone, it's very reasonably priced and just a pretty sweet looking gun...

S&W Fan

Bearcat
low and to the left is common for a new shooter jerking the trigger a little. Practice dry firing slowly and keeping you sights on target all the way through the pull. It takes practice. Proper breathing and a good strong posture make all the difference. Also, After you put some rounds through her, your trigger will smooth out around the time you get good forum! Youll be doin well in no time! Sights could be off, but id assume theyre on and try some different ammo types before you try messn witth them. Just a helpful hint. The p95 was my first gun. I had a rude awakening at the range when i realized shooting wasnt what you see on tv. I couldnt hit a damn thing at first!

Beauetienne

Single-Sixer
Thanks for all the input.

From your posts it seems that both are about the same as far as inherent accuracy but, most favor the P95.

tkarter

Single-Sixer
My P89 is a bit more accurate than my P95 but the P95 is pretty accurate too.

Both are going to be a good choice.

tk

sicboy13

Single-Sixer
Beauetienne":10t55anp said:
Thanks for all the input.

From your posts it seems that both are about the same as far as inherent accuracy but, most favor the P95.

alot of people talk smack about how wide the P95 is, I think it feels really good in my hand, I like to know I'm holding a "gun" when I pick it up...