ACC #7 or Unique for 357 mag 158 grain lead SWC?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

oldcrab

Bearcat
I'm running low on Accurate #5 for the above load in my GP100.

I can get Accurate #7 or Unique to get me bye until Acc#5 is back on the shelves.

Velocity will be between 1,000 and 1,100 fps.

Which do you recommend I pick up, and why?

Thanks for your feedback.

dannyd

Hunter
if you look at the specs Unique is closer to #5. I switched from Unique in the 1980's when #5 came out. Mainly because it was more uniform in a Dillion powder measure.

loaded over 20,000 30/20 rounds for pistol silhouette with number #5 good powder, but for these days can't go wrong with Unique ether.

I mostly use Unique with cast bullets in my 308 Winchester rifle.

I love No.5 and No.7. They meter consistently well and shoot clean, so I stopped there. I've never tried Unique but a lot of folks like it. Probably can't go wrong with either.

Skeeter used 7.5gr Unique and 158gr LSWC and swore by it. I use Skeeter's load with Unique. I like the 7.5 gr with Universal Clays too. I have used AA #7 too. I've only been in the reloading game for about 60 years. It is always best to consult reloading manuals or manufacturers website before using someone's suggested loads from the internet. Best to be safe and not sorry. (my disclaimer)

Paul B

Hunter
I've never used Accurate 7 but have used Unique just about since I started reloading my ammo back in 1954. Unique may not be the "perfect" powder but it darn well work in just about everything I've tried it in. Not bad for a powder that came out in 1890 something.
Paul B.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
When I load .357, I load it as a magnum. No Unique for me. Save the Unique for .38 Special. It's works decent in a lot of things but does nothing spectacular in anything. At your lower speeds, it will do fine. I don't load Accurate powders so no advice there.

oldcrab

Bearcat
If you can get it, Universal Clays seems to burn cleaner and gives lower spreads in my 357's and 38's.
Bigbore5,
Right now, only Unique and ACC#7 are available close to me.

But, thanks for the "nod" to Universal Clays... I will buy a pound the next time I see it, and give it a try. (always good to have some alternatives)

Crab

dannyd

Hunter
Because all I shoot is paper, so I use the 38 special load data in 357 magnum cases; the chronograph doesn't notice the difference. Just easier on me I have two 5 gallon bucket's of 357 brass. ;)

3manfan

Single-Sixer
I'm running low on Accurate #5 for the above load in my GP100.

I can get Accurate #7 or Unique to get me bye until Acc#5 is back on the shelves.

Velocity will be between 1,000 and 1,100 fps.

Which do you recommend I pick up, and why?

Thanks for your feedback.
I've been hand loading for over 40 years & of course have used all the common brands of powder. About 10 years ago I gave AA#2 a try & fell in love with it. I then tried the others in the line, #5, #7 & #9. They've all replaced all of the other brands, except H110 which I use for heavy straight walled handgun cartridges like .41, .45 Colt & .44. The AA#'s 2 - 9 burn cleaner. meter better & don't stink, more so than any other brand of powder I've ever used & they're all I buy now.

AA#7 is my 'go to' powder for 9x19. It's designed to give a powder volume suitable to fill the available space in 9mm cases with 115/124 grain bullets. I've never even tried it with other cartridges.

dannyd

Hunter
I am into the "What Phase" of reloading. I use Whatever Powder I can find now at a somewhat good price.

But in the passed have used many different powders.

E2C05D51-78A2-4CFE-890A-F965DA3F49FE.jpeg

Latest posts