Absolute best FMJ ammo for the LCP ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

NikA

Buckeye
I doubt any of the defense hollowpoints in .380 meet the FBI criteria out of the LCP. I'd be surprised if most expanded at all through any garment. FMJ flatnose is about the best you will do out of these pocket pistols.

Cholo

Staff member
These tests are several years old. Some of the 380's did okay in the hollow point variety. I currently carry the Hornady Critical Defense ammo in my LCP Max.

If nothing else looking at these tests is interesting. They used a Glock 42 for the 380 tests which has a 3.25" barrel vs Ruger's LCP Max with a 2.8" barrel. That's enough difference to where I'd expect slightly less stellar results with the shorter barrel.

noahmercy

Blackhawk
Shoot your handloads for practice, Put in manufactures ammo for self-defense. If you hurt or kill anyone with ammo that you hand loaded they could say you loaded the ammo hot on purpose.
Why does that myth still get passed around? If a handload uses the same bullet at the same velocity as a widely available factory load, especially one used by major LE agencies (i.e. Gold Dots) there is absolutely no way that can be used in a court of law as a basis for prosecution. While cut shells or wax slugs from a shotgun may be grounds for a claim of intending to create more lethal munitions, a duplicate of factory loads most assuredly is not, and has never factored into a guilty verdict.

purebred

Bearcat
These tests are several years old. Some of the 380's did okay in the hollow point variety. I currently carry the Hornady Critical Defense ammo in my LCP Max.

If nothing else looking at these tests is interesting. They used a Glock 42 for the 380 tests which has a 3.25" barrel vs Ruger's LCP Max with a 2.8" barrel. That's enough difference to where I'd expect slightly less stellar results with the shorter barrel.

What's interesting is last time I went to the local range another person there also had a LCP. We both had different ammo. I had the 95 grain Herters and a box of 94 grain Monarch. After shooting rounds of both boxes I found the Monarch had quite a few FTE. Herter's no problems. I introduced myself to the other guy and found out he had various fmj and jhp 380 ammo. He told me his shot everything good but some of the jhp had FTF issues. We both traded a few rounds with each other with the exception of his jhp ammo. With the price I didn't want to waste any of his ammo. My Herters flat point ammo cycled great in his LCP. His Remington and Federal did good in mine. I told him I was thinking of keeping the FP FMJ as my carry load. After going through about a box and a half between both of us he said that might be a good call. I'm not knocking JHP ammo and have plenty for my 9mm but a barrel this short I believe like my little NAA revolver and 9mm derringer I have that a FMJ works for me. Everybody has their own opinions.

NikA

Buckeye
They used a Glock 42 for the 380 tests which has a 3.25" barrel vs Ruger's LCP Max with a 2.8" barrel. That's enough difference to where I'd expect slightly less stellar results with the shorter barrel
BBTI says you lose on average 100 FPS from a 3.35" barrel (PPK/S) to a 2.75" one (LCP) in .380. If you look at the manufacturer expansion data on most JHPs, that puts them in the "highly questionable performance" range. I don't know that data is available for all of them as components.

ETA: I did this research about 8-10 years ago and came to the conclusion that Speer Gold Dots were the only thing close to performing to FBI specs. Looks like there may be a few other contenders now.

ETA 2: got out to look at some stored ammo and I apparently mixed other WWB "Metric Calibers" ammo with the .380 and .32. All the WWB .380 I looked at is made in USA.

Last edited:

Cholo

Staff member
Don't think for a minute that the quality ammunition makers Hornady and Speer don't take into consideration that most of their 380 ammo sold in the USA will be from barrels 3" or less!

These companies have done considerable testing to assure that their ammo with perform up to their standards whether it's a 3.25" or a 2.8" barrel.

There's a point of diminishing returns if a specific bullet's velocity is too high. They also know it can't be too low. Those two ammo makers know that more than we do, no matter how knowledgeable we think we are on the subject.

Make note that I'm referring to Hornady and Speer only.

I know another LCP ammo question. With only having this gun a short while and trying to find decent 380 ammo at a decent price I would like to ask what is the best FMJ (only) you have shot in your LCP ? I have other short barrel guns, NAA revolver, Derringers and I exclusively only shoot both for practice and defense in these short barrels FMJ ammo. Without having to order ammo and finding it locally is their any go to ammo you prefer ?: I know since Wal-Mart quit selling that many revert to Academy, Bass Pro shops, Cabella's or mom pop gun stores to get ammo. Just curious as to what others are having good results with. Thanks.
If you are practicing for defense only, I have a question: Why FMJ? Your gun may stay cleaner a little longer, but FMJs will, in many cases, pass right through anyone it hits, doing minimal damage. Not a great sefl-defense round for closer encounters with smaller guns. I am nowhere near the expert that so many here are, so that's why I ask- because I don't know. Is there a particular reason for your preference? BTW- I am LPC / Derringer / NAA guy too, so whatever you can tell me would be helpful.

purebred

Bearcat
If you are practicing for defense only, I have a question: Why FMJ? Your gun may stay cleaner a little longer, but FMJs will, in many cases, pass right through anyone it hits, doing minimal damage. Not a great sefl-defense round for closer encounters with smaller guns. I am nowhere near the expert that so many here are, so that's why I ask- because I don't know. Is there a particular reason for your preference? BTW- I am LPC / Derringer / NAA guy too, so whatever you can tell me would be helpful.
On my NAA 1 1/8 barrel i Noticed quite a bit of keyholing with 40 grain ammo. The stingers not quite so much. I like the heavier grain stuff if I can get it. Same pretty much with my 9mm, 380 derringer. I pretty much stick to the 380 derringer barrel because the 9mm is just to painful to shoot. The LCP is fairly new to me and still learning about how she shoots. All my practice with my short barrel guns are 10 feet or less and I practice shooting at target the size of a human head and not a torso. As far as preference for FMJ over JHP I just prefer the Faster bullet. Maybe the 8 years in the Army shooting FMJ, I don't know. I know I have heard plenty on the JHP, FMJ difference and goes right through and my gun has problems with JHP and so forth. I just find it easier to deal with FMJ on smaller barrels. Now my 9mm is a different story. I carry quality JHP that I know will shoot. Not guaranteed but close to it. Smaller barrels to me anyway just seem to work better with FMJ and price wise works with my budget better. But you know the old saying about anything now a days? Take everything with a grain of salt.

Latest posts