About that swimming pool incident..........

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
My post "Heard on the News Tonight" arose form a recent inident here in Memphis.

One Sunday, a thirteen year old boy, who couldn't swim, climbed an iron security fence, with outward pointing roll over bars securing a closed swimming pool. The pools are normally closed on Sundays and Mondays for maintenance. He dived into deep water, on a dare, and drowned. Now his family and friend are urging city leaders to "do something" to prevent this. Their stand was "He was just being a boy."

It matters not to them that he was breaking the law in entering that area in the first place. Nothing in their statements indicates that the parents did not know his whereabouts nor activities. Nothing is said about his notifying his parents of his friends or activities. Nothing is said about parents demanding to know what he's about. A thirteen year old boy knows that a locked gate and fence means "keep out."

Even more recently, a young man is shot and killed by the police. He was detained while an investigation was being made to determine the validity of warrents against him. When the officer opened the car door, he attacked the officer, and video shows a struggle going on, with the implication that the young man is using the officer's cuffs as a weapon. Nobody suggests that the suspect should have complied with the officer's requests.

Nobody has even dared to say youth should be taught to respect authority.

Bob Wright

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
Bob, the next thing you will hear is the mother saying, "He was always such a good boy." Doesn't matter if he broke into a store, a house, shot someone, robbing a bank, the same words always come out. Their is no longer responsibility for behavior being taught. I believe that was your point.

roylt

Hunter
Im strickt at times but I feel there is a lot of trouble in the world that could use a few more stickt parents.

Also I don't have a passport but feel this trend is not just a USA thing. The whole world could take a step back.

Why not love one another instead of kill or hurt or cheat. I'm not perfect but try to be a good person and smile.

Xsales

Buckeye
Similar to here in AZ

A 14 year old was driving drunk and smashed into a SUV severly injuring 3 people (1 is a 3 yrs old & may die)

They ARE charging him as an adult

Where the hell are parents?

The gene pool is in a need of severe cleaning

The world is a sick, sick place

wunbe

Buckeye
Another view of such matters would be that there is too much repetitious media attention 24/7 with too little to talk about and too many folks with nothing better to do than watch it, demand more of the same, and wring their hands about it.

In the past such crap never or rarely made it into the consciousness of hard working people. It is actually hard to know how much more bad behavior is becoming the norm now than it had been before. Now, everyone is a watcher, an accellerant for more of the same, and a part of the 'news' cycle.

Another self licking ice cream cone.

wunbe

vito

Hunter
It seems to be a part of the culture of a portion of our population rather than something universally affecting us. When kids are left on their own and have no role models to learn from, are not disciplined and guided at all, live in an environment where the police and other authorities are seen as the enemy, and then their schools and other institutions in their community tell them that they are victims and thus entitled to act out, how can we be surprised at the outcome?

RugerHound

Hunter
Back in 2001 or so I was working at a gas compressor station up by Navajo, Az for a few weeks. Closest lodging with civilization was Holbrook. As it turned out we were working over the 4th of July which was in the middle of the week that year, so we had a 'stand down' day. Normally I'd be up and gone by sunrise, but on the 4th I was just lounging around the hotel room which was on the 2nd floor directly over the office. Even though I was a smoker at the time, I never cared for 'smoking rooms' because they smelled like a 50 year old corner bar. So I stepped outside the door to have my 1st smoke of the day. I looked down across the driveway, and there was a body of what looked to be a relatively young male face down in the pool! Naked as a jaybird & dead as a doornail. I saw a pile of clothes by the pool gate and what looked like a paper sack.

So I went down the stairs and tapped on the office door but nobody was up yet. So I called the Holbrook police and told 'em there looked to be a dead guy in the hotel pool. They showed up pronto, and the responding officer said "Yeah, looks like a DGS". I asked "What's a DGS?" He said "Drink & Go Swimming"! No foul play... They found his wallet and ID... 23 years old, drinking Vodka. Been dead since early a.m., probably after the bars closed according to the cops.

Not much to do in a small town on a mid-week holiday eve, and everything seems like a good idea when you're hammered.

pete44ru

Hunter

The only positive thing the older folks here can have, is the satisfaction that we probably won't be around for the final results of this culture change.

I do, however, fear for what my grandchildren will most likely suffer through.

737tdi

Hunter
Ok, back on to the soap box.

I am a member of another site which is all about aircraft/airlines. There is currently a thread going about how to scam airlines by buying tickets fraudulently. I.E. Planning to fly to Dallas from say Atlanta, after researching you find that buying a ticket to San Diego with a stop in Dallas is cheaper. So, buy the ticket and don't reboard the aircraft in Dallas. Yes, this is possible and fairly common.

Although this is not illegal it is wrong. We seem to have a new idea of right and wrong. I.E. dropping the tailgate on your pickup so the toll cameras can't read your license plate and blow the toll, downloading pirated movies, downloading pirated music, cheating the cable company, lying to police that you weren't speeding, speeding in and of itself, failure to return found money or too much change returned on a purchase. It goes on and on and on. While none of this is particularly horrible there is a true downside. Your children are watching and learning with each of these transgressions that it is OK to break the law, cheat, disobey laws and rules, steal etc.. They are also watching their friends doing the same thing. Morality is instilled by example not by mouth. Remember, your children are watching and learning from your examples. JMO.

Ok off the soap box.

Karl

737tdi said:

I am a member of another site which is all about aircraft/airlines. There is currently a thread going about how to scam airlines by buying tickets fraudulently. I.E. Planning to fly to Dallas from say Atlanta, after researching you find that buying a ticket to San Diego with a stop in Dallas is cheaper. So, buy the ticket and don't reboard the aircraft in Dallas. Yes, this is possible and fairly common.

Although this is not illegal it is wrong. We seem to have a new idea of right and wrong. I.E. dropping the tailgate on your pickup so the toll cameras can't read your license plate and blow the toll, downloading pirated movies, downloading pirated music, cheating the cable company, lying to police that you weren't speeding, speeding in and of itself, failure to return found money or too much change returned on a purchase. It goes on and on and on. While none of this is particularly horrible there is a true downside. Your children are watching and learning with each of these transgressions that it is OK to break the law, cheat, disobey laws and rules, steal etc.. They are also watching their friends doing the same thing. Morality is instilled by example not by mouth. Remember, your children are watching and learning from your examples. JMO.

Ok off the soap box.

Karl

On the face of it I would agree that we have lost a lot of our ethics and morals.... but I would say that some or much of that these days does not actually equate to following the law. What is legal and what is morally or ethically right is not always the same. Our government has continued to make laws to protect or correct us.... often you are caught speeding in an area that is nothing but a speed trap... ask Contender about the time he was taking a group of Scouts through Florida....

737tdi

Hunter
blume357: I agree that some laws and enforcement of laws are arbitrary but that is not really the point. I guess in my examples it is that we know we are not acting correctly, morally or ethically. I think a lot of people have a way of justifying in their own minds that it is not hurting anything. If these things are as commonplace as I think they are then we and our children are being bombarded by attitudes that will eventually completely obscure everyone's view of right and wrong. I realize this has been going on forever but it seems to be much more prevalent now. JMO.

Karl

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
blume357 said:
737tdi said:

Ok off the soap box.

Karl

On the face of it I would agree that we have lost a lot of our ethics and morals.... but I would say that some or much of that these days does not actually equate to following the law. What is legal and what is morally or ethically right is not always the same. Our government has continued to make laws to protect or correct us.... often you are caught speeding in an area that is nothing but a speed trap... ask Contender about the time he was taking a group of Scouts through Florida....

Oh you mean "WALDEN" on US 301 ?? The whole city admin in that little wide spot were dishonest crooks and they FINALLY got caught at it. I understand that the STATE has now shut down that "speed trap" as well as taking down the main crime family.