? about mk III hunter vs target

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sydandpaigesdad

Bearcat
Hi all I am not new to guns at all but as the cost of ammo goes up I am going to invest in a good .22 pistol, I have considered many and decided on a ruger mark III as I love my dads MRK I. Anyways I know I want a BB SS 5 7/8 but Im not sure what the difference is between the hunter and target models as my local gun store had both in stock and got home and just thought I would find out from you guys. Thanks in advance.

contender

Ruger Guru
I'm not sure what you mean by "BB SS 5 7/8" but I THINK you mean the 6-7/8" barrel.
Anyway, there are a few differences in the Hunter version vs the Target models. Barrel contour and sights come to mind at first.
The target models sport a tapered 6-7/8" barrel while the Hunter model sports a 6-7/8" fluted barrel.
The Target sports a standard iron set of sights, while the Hunter sports Hi-Viz fiber optic front sight.

As above... the difference is the barrel length and type and the sights on same.

I only have experience with 5 1/2" bull barrel and I changed out the sights on it, just for the hell of it, and really like it... with that said... a longer barreled Hunter is on my list too... heck I even like the newer 'hunters' with the extra short barrel... they at least look really cool.

You can't beat a 'good' 22lr pistol for shooting fun, in contrast one that isn't 'good' is just about as much 'unfun' as there is... my MKIII has been flawless out of the box... yes, every once and a while (I'd guess one out of every 25 to 100 rounds) jams, fails to eject or such... but this is nature and the trade off when shooting cheap ammo.