? about cylinder locking bolt impact marks...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

redeux

Bearcat
2nrgifb.jpg

i was cleaning a nib NV getting it ready to take shooting when i noticed the cylinder locking bolt is leaving marks at the top of the locking notch ...
(the gun in the picture is NOT the gun it is an image i had from an earlier NV)
the red area on the photo is where the bolt is leaving impact marks deep enough to see with 2 cylinder rotations...
anyone have any ideas what to do ?
it has actually left visible deformation on the edge of the locking notch and a drag mark all the way around the cylinder...
the drag mark is perfectly centered ...
i have read that the NV's have a predisposition towards odd timing problems ...
any help appreciated ...
thanks...

The drag mark is a "feature" of the New Model single-action Rugers. It's just the way they work. A few full-rotation cycles of the action and you're likely to see the beginning of the ring. It's more pronounced on some than on others, but essentially all of them will develop it quite quickly.

And a certain amount of marking right where the locking notch contacts the bolt is to be expected as well, particularly if the action is worked "smartly" . . . the notch slams into the bolt, and a certain amount of wear is the result.

redeux

Bearcat
Ale-8(1)":1swsmbys said:
The drag mark is a "feature" of the New Model single-action Rugers. It's just the way they work. A few full-rotation cycles of the action and you're likely to see the beginning of the ring. It's more pronounced on some than on others, but essentially all of them will develop it quite quickly.

And a certain amount of marking right where the locking notch contacts the bolt is to be expected as well, particularly if the action is worked "smartly" . . . the notch slams into the bolt, and a certain amount of wear is the result.

ah , i know better than to fastdraw a ruger or a colt or colt clone , this is from regular working of the action after a complete cleaning , the CLB slams home compared to earlier NV's i've had ...
thanks...
anyway a call tag should be on its way tomorrow for it , i just can't make any sense out of the 'impact area' of the bolt on the notch...
damm , i was hoping something would go right for once ...
i'm almost afraid to look too close at my NM-SS 6'.5" i bought in august...

flatgate

Hawkeye
" I just can't make any sense out of the 'impact area' of the bolt on the notch... "

Nah, your gun is perfectly normal. It takes some sorta serious gunsmithing to rectify the design's shortcomings. Ruger certainly isn't going to "fix" it.

Two methods of approach.

The "classic" fix is to make a new, extended hammer plunger.

I prefer to lengthen the "leg" of the cylinder latch. I do this mod on ALL my New Model shooters.

JMHO,

flatgate

redeux

Bearcat
flatgate":2140eaj5 said:
" I just can't make any sense out of the 'impact area' of the bolt on the notch... "

Nah, your gun is perfectly normal. It takes some sorta serious gunsmithing to rectify the design's shortcomings. Ruger certainly isn't going to "fix" it.

Two methods of approach.

The "classic" fix is to make a new, extended hammer plunger.

I prefer to lengthen the "leg" of the cylinder latch. I do this mod on ALL my New Model shooters.

JMHO,

flatgate

if its not too much trouble could you put up some photos of the parts (before and after) if this is something i can do myself then i'd prefer to...thanks...R

flatgate

Hawkeye
Nope, I will not share any modifications that may have liability concerns.

I believe if you are a member in good standing over at RugerForum.net you can get Gary's "Extended Hammer Plunger" instructions....

Sorry,

flatgate

Hondo44

Hawkeye
redeux":31lwpgsa said:
i was cleaning a nib NV getting it ready to take shooting when i noticed the cylinder locking bolt is leaving marks at the top of the locking notch ...
(the gun in the picture is NOT the gun it is an image i had from an earlier NV)
the red area on the photo is where the bolt is leaving impact marks deep enough to see with 2 cylinder rotations...
anyone have any ideas what to do ?
it has actually left visible deformation on the edge of the locking notch and a drag mark all the way around the cylinder...
the drag mark is perfectly centered ...
i have read that the NV's have a predisposition towards odd timing problems ...
any help appreciated ...
thanks...

No. 1 Easiest way to minimize the bolt drag line and edge nicking is to polish and buff the 'knife' edges and surface of the bolt where it contacts the cylinder until it looks like a mirror.
You don't have to remove the bolt.

No.2 You'll notice that although the cylinder drag line is in the center between the notches, it doesn't mark up the center of the approach notch itself. That's because your bolt is riding down the front edge of the approach. Look closely in the photo or on the gun. Very common for current model Rugers. The bolt is not shaped correctly; it's too high on the front portion and doesn't fit the notch properly. So when the cylinder stops against the bolt, all of the "slam" is at the very front of the edge of the notch; right where your red mark is.

Take a black felt tip pen and coat the notch appproach. Again, don't remove the bolt from the gun. Just remove metal with a dremel tool a little at a time. Put the cylinder back in the gun and cycle the action 12 times. You'll see in the ink where the bolt is contacting the approach to the notch. When the drag line is in the center of the ink, you got it right. Now go back and do No.1 above.

If you're not comfortable doing this, any gunsmith who's a pistol smith, not just a "lathe and jig type smith" , can do this for you.