Abnormal Fear of Guns

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Revolver-Time

Single-Sixer
I am afraid our society has allowed an abnormal fear of guns creep into everyday life. In my day, we were educated very early on that a gun was a tool that demanded respect from it's user. Whenever you were handed or picked up a firearm you opened the action to make sure it was clear. You never pointed it at anything you didn't want to destroy and you were always aware of where the muzzle was pointed.

Just the other day, my daughter and granddaughters came to my house to visit. All of my functioning firearms are in a safe in a locked room away from the kids. I have one revolver that is broken and cannot be loaded. From time to time I work on it to get it operational. I was working on it before the kids came down and placed it in my top dresser drawer and not back in the gun room. When my daughter came in she made a sweep of the house and found the broken revolver. She blew up telling my wife and I how irresponsible we are leaving a gun where it could be found. I see it as less dangerous than the kitchen knife drawer or my power equipment in the shed. That revolver cannot be loaded or fired but just the sight of it invoked this response from her. In her eyes I have violated her trust in making the house safe for the kids. In my eyes I have failed in teaching her gun responsibility and grandkids will never learn a proper respect for guns only an abnormal fear.

Fox Mike

Hawkeye
Uneducated about an item many times is the same as fear of it, or what it can or cannot do.

jack

Single-Sixer
Education is key. When I was growing up, there were guns (only long ones) in the house kept in specific places. My dad had shown us how to shoot them, and would accompany us to shoot them if we wished (before we became old enough to handle them on our own). We were taught to respect them and there was never a problem. :)

nekvermont

Blackhawk
Revolver-time, your absolutely right that there is an abnormal fear of guns but you can't beat yourself up thinking that you have failed to teach your daughter right, some people are just ignorant and nothing will change their minds. I know your not asking for advise on how to deal with your daughter so I won't say that I think your daughter has some real nerve coming into your home, disrespecting you ,making a sweep and going through your drawers looking for something that makes your house unsafe for the kids. I'm sorry but I would not tolerate that. Best of luck to you sir, hope everything works out.

It sounds like she has an agenda or she needs therapy. She has no business going through your dresser drawers. IMO. My kids sure as heck won't disrespect me like that or they can stay away. I am sorry this happened. Good luck resolving this issue.
gramps

contender

Ruger Guru
I see you are in Savannah.
The South.
In general, we Southerners have been raised with manners & respect. For her to go through your house, and especially your drawers, shows she has ignored her education in manners & respect.
I would also say she has shown you no respect as her father by her actions.
I think you need to get your wife, your daughter, her husband & all have a quiet, calm, family discussion like intelligent adults. Get a moderator if you feel necessary.
Presenting facts, without emotion, may help you.
Fact; A firearm is nothing more than a mechanical, man made object that only does what the operator does, just like her car or your tools.
Fact; A broken down car is not operational, nor was that firearm.
Fact; You did show her respect by locking away all working firearms in the safe, yet she failed to acknowledge this.
Fact; She showed you a lot of disrespect by searching your home.

Use my above info to build your own points of discussion. Think of the many things she has or does that by proven fact hurts or kills more children annually. Use the simple discussion that education is the key to solving problems, and dispelling fears.

BTW; You did not fail, if she chose to ignore her teachings.

stevemb

Hunter
Most anything in the garage or barn is more dangerous than an empty handgun. Does she ask you to hide the gallon container of gas for the mower ? Do you search the kids for matches before allowing them into the house ? Good luck, issues with family..uh oh.

Don Lovel

Hunter
Whoa let me get this clear, your daughter grew up in your household around guns and being taught gun safety, yet she acted like that, sorry to tell you but somewhere along the line she was not paying attention to the lessons you were providing.
My grandson, if he is around guns will tell you, since age 3 1/2, "all guns are loaded, be aware where the barrel is pointed and booger hooks off the bang switch"
I am sorry you even had to have the discussion about it, not fair to you by your family at all.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Sounds like wood shed time.

First, as mentioned above, why was she in your dresser drawers?
Second, WHY did she go to your wife, rather than going to you?

I think a good paddling, until she can't sit down, is in order.
THEN throw her out of the house. Everyone else stays, but
SHE does not. AND can't come back for the remainder of the year!

Her lack of manners is inexcusable! :evil:

RugerHound

Hunter
TitanX said:
Any daughter who begins a visit with a 'sweep of the house' has a pre-existing agenda.

I'd tell her she doesn't need to come by any more if she can't trust me.

Make this my flavor. My home, my rules. If you don't agree, then sorry 'bout yer bad luck.

stevemb

Hunter
To take thoughts and opinions further we'd need to understand what firearm education the daughter received from her family. Is she trying to be the one and only parent ? Is this the "I know better" phase 2 ? The first being a teenager, then the I'm an adult now and get to wear the big girl pants ? Just asking.

stevemb

Hunter
Truly, you are sitting in an awkward place right now. Seems as though, first, you and your wife need to get on the same page and work together. If daughter and wife have outvoted you as..well, I don't what might be accomplished now.

RolandDeschain

Blackhawk
Revolver-Time said:
Just the other day, my daughter and granddaughters came to my house to visit. All of my functioning firearms are in a safe in a locked room away from the kids. I have one revolver that is broken and cannot be loaded. From time to time I work on it to get it operational. I was working on it before the kids came down and placed it in my top dresser drawer and not back in the gun room. When my daughter came in she made a sweep of the house and found the broken revolver. She blew up telling my wife and I how irresponsible we are leaving a gun where it could be found. I see it as less dangerous than the kitchen knife drawer or my power equipment in the shed. That revolver cannot be loaded or fired but just the sight of it invoked this response from her. In her eyes I have violated her trust in making the house safe for the kids. In my eyes I have failed in teaching her gun responsibility and grandkids will never learn a proper respect for guns only an abnormal fear.

Don't kick yourself pardner - she was looking for something to be mad at you about and she found it- if it wasn't that it would have been something else. A guy can work himself up into knots trying to apply reason to the unreasonable/emotional. Just refuse to let her take you down that road.

Your job now is to accommodate her wishes, do all you can to keep a close relationship with the grandkids, and lay in the weeds until those rebellious teen aged years. Odds are the kids will turn out a lot like her and then Grandpa will be the good guy, and the reprogramming can commence.

graygun

Hunter
IMO all the young folks will react like that unless they've had proper gun exposure/training when young. Heck,even my brother who had a .22 and 16 gauge when young is now a hopeless lib-err-ill(does not seem much like kin anymore).

IDK pal,it seems like a difficult situation you face.

stevemb

Hunter
I think everbody in the family needs to find a Daisy Red Rhyder under the Christmas tree this year...Do over !

mohavesam

Hawkeye
You have control of your living trust. Be sure your daughter is not inconvenienced or offended by any of your objectionable hobbies or property...
BTW, exactly what does she utilize to protect your grandchildren? "911"?? :?

Fox Mike

Hawkeye
Bull Barrel said:
Let me guess...she's a teacher, right?
And that question means just what. I ask because my wife was a teacher for 32 years and has no problems with guns.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Fox Mike said:
And that question means just what. I ask because my wife was a teacher for 32 years and has no problems with guns.
Then she is in a VERY small minority. :shock:

Latest posts