AA#9 for light to heavy 44mag?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

J LeeCZ

Bearcat
My Dillon dies, brass, and SNS 240gr coated SWC are ordered and on the way. Have Unigue and 2400 but was wondering how #9 performs. I have downloaded load data from Accurate but wanted some opinions from users. Having a burn rate close to 2400, figuring I might like it. Very first loading experience comes from #7 for 147gr 9mm and liked the way it metered and performed. Using WLP primers.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I like Accurate #9 a lot because it meters well (ball powder) is bulky and provides great power and velocity in the 44 mag. I load 18.0gr with a copper plated or hard cast 240gr bullet for 1491fps outa my 96/44 rifle. You can use regular primers but I always use Winchester WLP stand/mag primers. For a little more velocity I load 19.8gr of #9 with a 240gr XTP bullet. (very accurate, 20.5 is max.) :D

http://www.accuratepowder.com/load-data/

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
I agree with Jimbo's assessment and load data. My mentor (rip) got me started with A2400, then along the way I got hooked on AA#9. In my .44 mags (SRH and Rossi R92), the AA#9 seems to edge out the A2400 in both accuracy and statistics. Actually got lucky last week when one of my ffl buddies got a small delivery of AA#9 - my Son and I walked out of his shop with 5 of the 10 lbs :)

jd

J LeeCZ

Bearcat
Going to start with 2400 since I have some that won't get used for anything else but going to go ahead and pick up some AA#9. Thanks.

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
J LeeCZ said:
Going to start with 2400 since I have some that won't get used for anything else but going to go ahead and pick up some AA#9. Thanks.

to tell you the truth, if our local shop had A2400 instead of AA#9, I would have been just as happy to buy the same amount of 2400 :)

jd

J LeeCZ

Bearcat
Thanks. I have only 2lbs of 2400 but it's a start. Nothing else to use it for anyway. 2400 seems to be more available in my area than others so should be able to get more. Never see AA9 locally but see it more often on line.

stevemb

Hunter
OP mentioned.."light to heavy". With no experience with AA#9 I'll ask, can it be loaded light ? Some other magnum ball powders cannot.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
stevemb said:
OP mentioned.."light to heavy". With no experience with AA#9 I'll ask, can it be loaded light ? Some other magnum ball powders cannot.
Yes Accurate #9 can be downloaded by up to 20% from Max. generally, and I have found it still burns cleanly if you use a good crimp and a WLP primer. The load I mentioned for plated and cast bullets (18.0gr for a 240gr bullet) is down a little more than 10% from Max. I would consider that reducing #9 very much more defeats the purpose of a slow powder and you could most likely be better served by a medium burn rate powder like Universal or Unique while saving some money on medium loads, if that is your goal.

Accurate #9 is also a good substitute for H-110 as it delivers close to the same velocity, good accuracy, and does not seem to spike if you happen to go a little over Max. (just my opinion) Operating in hot So Florida I have to be concerned about that sometimes. I have seen factory ammo spike badly in the heat. :D

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
^^^ again, advice I totally agree with^^^

AA#9 seems to have just a wide a margin as A2400 for me in both .257 mag and .44 mag.

jd

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
mr surveyor said:
^^^ again, advice I totally agree with^^^

AA#9 seems to have just a wide a margin as A2400 for me in both .257 mag and .44 mag.

jd

I just realized that after all this time I've been carrying it daily, my SP101 is a .357 mag .... not a .257 mag :roll: :lol:

jd

(my keyboard seems to be making a lot more mistakes lately)

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
mr surveyor said:
I just realized that after all this time I've been carrying it daily, my SP101 is a .357 mag .... not a .257 mag :roll: :lol:

jd

(my keyboard seems to be making a lot more mistakes lately)
Don't worry bout it, we knew what you meant. Your gun is fine, your keyboard is fine, your fingers are...well...like everyone else's...just a little clumsy. :D

mikld

Blackhawk
I read this thread yesterday and searched for and checked my old load book, and found loads from the mid 90s using AA #9. I had some excellent loads with AA #9 and Speer 240 gr JHP that gave me 1 1/2" groups at 50' (only place to shoot in L.A. was 50' indoor ranges). 1995 in a Ruger SBH and a Dan Wesson 44H. Mostly lighter to mid level loads.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
sliclee said:
Drop down to a 180 grain bullet, save money on bullets and powder, same accuracy. Lee
When you drop down in bullet weight you generally increase the powder charge.

Accurate #9 works best with heavy bullets. If you want to shoot 180gr bullets and save money on powder try a medium burn rate powder like Unique or Universal or Accurate #7 or #5. :D

sliclee

Single-Sixer
Im breaking rules now, this chart is not, IS NOT TO BE USED FOR RELOADING, this chart is to help you find the correct powder or close to it. It is "BURN RATE CHART". It lists every powder a manufacturer makes in order of how the powder burns.
Go online to Hodgdon burn rate chart, it gives you an idea of what to look for. Look at a powder your using, look it up and above and below you will see other powders that are similar to how yours and theirs burns.
Smokeless gun powder is not linear, meaning, if you add 1 or 2 grains more of powder, their doesn't have to be a change in velocity and if their is its usually not the same as the amount of powder you used. Thats why its only for checking whats available. When in doubt call Hodgdon or alliant.