A walk in my woods

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Walk along with me, with a stop at my big old White Oak tree. About 300 years old. About 5'6" in diameter at shoulder height.

The walking stick leaning up against the trunk is exactly 6' tall to give some perspective.

DSCF3163.jpg~original

A couple more going vertical:

DSCF3162.jpg~original

DSCF3166.jpg~original

The walk back to the house:

DSCF3167.jpg~original

Home in sight:

House.jpg~original

Pierow

Blackhawk
With that kind of privacy you can do the walk in your boxer shorts. Bet you've marked your territory well between that tree and your home:)

Nice digs Gramps. Looks beautiful there and thanks for the walk-along.

Pierow

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Pierow said:
With that kind of privacy you can do the walk in your boxer shorts. Bet you've marked your territory well between that tree and your home:)

Nice digs Gramps. Looks beautiful there and thanks for the walk-along.

Pierow

What do you mean, "boxer shorts"? :wink:

Btw, this is what we started with 15 years ago:

houselotpriortoconstruction2.jpg~original

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Colonialgirl said:
Nice job on the finished home site compared to what you started with. I was wishing I could have something like that.

Thanks. Be careful what you wish for. This is getting to be more work than I can do just to keep the jungle from taking over. :)

xtratoy

Buckeye
How do you date a tree without cutting it down to count the rings? I have cut Evergreen trees that dated 40-50 years older than trees much larger. It seems to make a big difference in the soil they grow in with trees that grows in the same region. Do Oaks all grow at the same size to age ratio?

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
xtratoy said:
How do you date a tree without cutting it down to count the rings? I have cut Evergreen trees that dated 40-50 years older than trees much larger. It seems to make a big difference in the soil they grow in with trees that grows in the same region. Do Oaks all grow at the same size to age ratio?

You can get a rough estimate of age by multiplying the diameter in inches at breast height (about 54" up) by the growth factor for that species. Most trees will grow pretty fast in the first 10 years or so (just like kids), and then growth begins to slow gradually for the remainder of the tree's expected life (like old farts do). Estimating age with this method is more accurate with older trees than young ones because it tends to average out. There's also considerable variation due to soil and climate, etc., but again that tends to average out over a 100 years or more. Trees and other plants also compete with each other for sunlight, so a tree that's in the shade of another will usually be smaller.

Back in the Little Ice Age (from about 1500 to 1850 give or take), trees grew much slower due to the cooler climate (narrower growth rings) and the wood was therefore much denser than it has been since around 1850-1900 till today. Which was great for violin makers and other makers of fine instruments and furnishings. :) So the diameter of a old growth tree from that period would be smaller and therefore give a lower age than it really is. Vice versa for younger trees of the same species.

Here's some common growth factors of different species for getting an estimate: http://forestry.about.com/od/silviculture/a/Estimating-A-Trees-Age.htm

I shouldn't go into the following, but if I don't someone else will, so the heck with it:

This is one of the things that climatologists look at when they go nuts over global warming. The fact is that parts of the planet are a degree or 2 warmer than they were 400 years ago, but that's not because of anything people have done. It's also been warmer than it is now back in the Roman Warm period a couple thousand years ago. And we will have another big ice age sometime in the future like we've had many times in the past, and little and big swings in between. Things change. :roll:

Mike J

Hunter
Very nice pictures of the woods & your home. You have a very nice place. I always like to see the old big trees like that. Something about them is comforting to me. I honestly don't know why.

markallen

Bearcat
"Christopher Robin and I walked along, under branches lit up by the moon."

I can grab my walking stick, hit the woods. And with each step, I can feel my breathing get slower and deeper, and my blood pressure drops.
No better therapy that I can think of.