A Vet's funeral......

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
My wife's sister joined us and we drove over to Jonesboro this morning for their uncle's funeral. About an hour's drive, but with very gusty winds in that flat country of eastern Arkansas, the drive was a trifle tiring. Harvest time is here, and much of the rice has been harvested, and bean harvest is underway.

We arrived at the church, and I noticed a small statue, or figure, looked like bronze, of a modern day soldier, maybe 10"~12" tall. The base was inscribed "Thank you-From a grateful Nation." I learned the story of that.

Shortly before his death, a group of veterans gathered around his bed and presented this figure to Uncle G W.

At the graveside service, two soldiers from Ft. Sill did the honors, and played Taps. His son and I both rose and held the hand salute during the playing of Taps. The flag was removed from the casket, folded, and presented to his widow.

As his body lay in the casket, I noticed a wrist watch on his wrist. We take comfort that uncle G W has been in Heaven three days now, and he has no further need for a watch ~ time is no more for him.

Bob Wright

sfhogman

Buckeye
Prayers sent, Bob.
May I never have to hold the hand salute at a fellow vet's funeral again...

But I suspect I will.

May your uncle's memory be a blessing.

Jeff

graygun

Hunter
There's no more fighting for him.

I went to a funeral at Ft Sam natl cemetery for a friend's father about three years ago. He was retired Army...went in at the end of WW2. It's the only time I've seen this friend cry.

I love military funerals...firing of M-14s,presentation of three pieces of brass to the departed's wife and presentation of the folded flag.

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
Funny how some vets and most civilians aren't aware that it is now proper for a vet to render a hand salute at colors, parades and funerals. I was questioned once on this at a local theme park. I pointed out several younger men doing the same. The inquisitor thought they might still be active duty. I politely told him the "regs" had been changed. He thanked me for the info and we shook as we parted.

He was not a vet, but his father and brothers were/are. I suppose he just wanted to make sure proper respect was shown in honor of them.

Pal Val

Buckeye
I was with my wife and some friends in a cemetery last year visiting a friend's tomb when the colors were presented at the funeral of a Vet a few yards away. I stood at attention and saluted. After Taps, one of my wife's friends asked me why I did that , and I told him that the deceased had earned the gesture of respect. Later, a few of us went over and found out that the man buried that day had been a decorated Navy veteran of WWII.

Very few left...

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
We had a friend that was a vet; Not WW2, but had loads of physical problems., hip replacements, etc etc; She was in the hospital, but we never knew until the daughter called to say she had passed away and been cremated.
We went to the Memorial Service at the local National Cemetery and there was Ashley and I, plus her daughter and son in law no one else . Very sad really. I DID stand and render the Hand Salute during Taps and the salute.

volshooter

Buckeye
I have attended way to many funerals for vets. We have state color guards that are all volunteer vets themselves. Having never served I won't salute as I have not earned that right.
I watch the obits and attend every vets funeral to show respect for their service.

I have a cigar box with too many fired blanks from family vets funeral. I engrave each one with the deceased name and date. That box holds a place of honor in our home.

Latest posts