A Vaquero shooting off,,, a bit,,,

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Quite a while back,, I asked questions about correcting a Vaquero that was shooting to the left for me. I heard about filing the sides of the front sight, the rear sight channel, turning the bbl, just adjusting with Ky windage, etc. Well, I never got around to working on it. But,, I did take it to Idaho with me to let another person try their hand at shooting it to see if it was me shooting left or the gun. Well, I let 'ol sixshot get ahold of it & shoot a cylinder full. He shot 5 rounds at the paper, while seated, resting his arms on his knees, and at about 25 yds,, shot this measly 5 shot group. The cal is 45 Colt, the loads were a 250 grn JHP. Yep,, the gun shoots to the left a bit. (PS; Dick doesn't like fixed sighted guns!) :D

Idaho099.jpg

c.r.

Single-Sixer
It looks like once you get the sights worked out, you've got a lot of work in front of you finding a load the gun likes :wink:

~c.r.

Cholo

Staff member
Well, we finally find out sixshot's human afterall. That's terrible shootin'!! He missed the sticker by several inches! I'll bet if he fired all six it wouldn't have been any better than the 1st 5.

..and here I thought he never missed :wink:

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
To watch sixshot shoot, is a treat in itself. First, you notice his controlled breathing. He slows it down, until you question if he is in some state of suspended hibernation. You can feel the concentration. Once statue still, he starts his trigger pull. The trigger pull is sooo ....... sllooowww, you don't think the gun will ever go off. Suddenly, you hear the gun go off, and see Dick , with perfect, exaggerated follow- thru. This, with 64 yr. young eyes. Pretty amazing. The results speak for themselves ! Also, notice how he uses jacketed bullets for plinking ? He saves the good stuff, home, hand cast, for the task at hand, hunting !

Callshot supplied the targets. He uses them whenever shooting, or shopping. Just stick them on anything you want to shoot, or buy :D .

flatgate

Hawkeye
I can shoot just like that........ if I'm about a foot from the target!

Nice shooting Vaquero! At least the barrel and cylinder are good... :D

flatgate

Hey what's the big deal????? I can make a target look just like that up close and with a sharp stick :oops: :oops:

All I can say is WOW :shock:

Contender for what it's worth Alan Harton says "the only way to fix a gun that shoots left or right is by BENDING THE BARREL"
Whan Alan speaks I listen. He has done a bunch of them for the CAS guys. He takes your bullets and his rig to his range and fixes it.

Nice shooting Dick
Jim

SBH4628

Blackhawk
Nice group for fixed sights...OK its great :D I do not do well with fixed sights :( Can I go shooting with you

Cholo

Staff member
That "sixshot" is better than a Ransom Rest. What does he rent for, or do I have to buy him? Does he come with a Dutch Oven? :wink:

Contender, obviously you have a real shooter there. What do you plan on doing about the windage?

sixshot

Buckeye
I had been joking with Tyrone about not liking fixed sighted guns.....& I really don't for hunting, I need more sight on the back with these old eyes, I think he was just setting me up, he knew all along that thing would shoot! :wink: When I said I wanted it with alligator tears running down my face he just smiled & put in back in the case. :cry:
We sure had fun, it went all to fast.

Dick

contender

Ruger Guru
Honest, all I wanted was to see if I was the only one it shot to the left with,,,! :D
I do need to get it fixed where that windage is concerned.
And I'm with sixshot,, I won't use a fixed sighted gun as a serious hunting sidearm if I have any other choices. I too prefer that they can be adjusted for proper alignment.

c.r.

Single-Sixer
I personally prefer the sight picture that adj. sights give me, but here is a rather impressive hunt and shot made with what appears to be a fixed sight bisely (clicking on the pics and looking at the front sight and what appears to be lack of a rear sight)

Oh and it's a short barreled gun as well...........looks like a true "perfect packing pistol".

http://www.dustinlinebaugh.com/alaska-grizzly-hunt.htm

Zeus

Blackhawk
c.r.":2i9i7dh6 said:
I personally prefer the sight picture that adj. sights give me, but here is a rather impressive hunt and shot made with what appears to be a fixed sight bisely (clicking on the pics and looking at the front sight and what appears to be lack of a rear sight)

Oh and it's a short barreled gun as well...........looks like a true "perfect packing pistol".

http://www.dustinlinebaugh.com/alaska-grizzly-hunt.htm

Dustin's 475 is the first gun that he made. It is a blued frame with a stainless bisley gripframe. That gun has been reblued about 3 times already I think and from what he has mentioned in the past, I think he's planning to just let it wear from now on and not blue it again. It has tons of character to it.

callshot

Blackhawk
Tyrone I have other target stickers in all different denominations and some with a picture of Santa Clause on them. I like to hit him right in the nose every chance that I can. They were not being used at the store any more so I got them for nothing. They work just fine if you can see them!!!!!

contender

Ruger Guru
We used to own a convience store, where I go tall those stickers for free too. I still have a bunch! (I was glad to see I wasn't the only one who used them!)

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
That's a super group . I don't have a problem any of fixed sight guns . Most of the problem is in your grip , letting the gun roll in your hand . I found the pinky under the grip keep the gun under control . I test fired these guns at 25yds offhand and only the top of the ft sights are filed fror elevation and nothing else done to sights .

4e7d8761.jpg

Picture1135.jpg

Picture933.jpg

Picture686-2.jpg

Picture948.jpg

Picture1009-1.jpg