A "transitional" NM SBH - - pics

Help Support Ruger Forum:

VonFatman

Blackhawk
A buddy came over to the house today and helped me straighten out a couple guns...he brought along a really nice SBH...he'd told me he was going to let it go...

I already had one in the safe, an 1985 gun. It's a dandy and has whacked a few deer...nothing special...just an honest to goodness deer killin' SBH....blue with a 7 1/2" barrel...pretty much like they are made today.

However, I'm not one to turn down an opportunity to check out another Ruger!

The SBH my friend brought over was as nice as the one already in the safe (98%)...same barrel length etc...

However, the offered gun had some nice features the one in the safe did not have...

It has a high gloss blue. It has a cylinder with recessed chambers. It has no "warning label" stamped on the barrel. It has nicer wood grips. It has a smooth trigger (I like smooth triggers on magnum guns). It also appears to be a first year NM SBH - 1973, which is why my buddy refered to it as a "transitional" gun. It has a few niceties you do not see on later/current production guns.

Needless to say, my friend's gun is now my gun and the 7 1/2" SBH in the safe is going to find a new home.

Here are a few pics:

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Bob

RonEgg

Blackhawk
I was talking to Zeus today about one of my guns going to Harton. It is a NM 45 BH and it too has a pre warning barrel and a OM cylinder. It is not as pretty as yours.

hutchman

Blackhawk
Great looking Super. I have a later "transitional" on that has the old model cylinder like yours, but with a grooved trigger. However, mine is a beater and not even in the same zip code as yours is as far as condition.

Again, you got a good one!

RonEgg

Blackhawk
VonFatman":25yrxrsq said:
Ron,
That's a caliber I DO like...what are you going to have done to your NM 45 BH?

Bob

It has a bad cylinder latch or the timing is just bad. If I pull the hammer back quickly, it overshoots the next chamber. I didn't pay much for it and it is a definite shooter and truck gun. I will have the forcing cone recut, action tune up, cylinder throats cut if needed. If it shoots OK when I get it back, I'll probably get it refinished and put a new front and rear sight on it. I just put a bisley frame on it and I like the look of the bisley and short barrel.

Ron

308longdistance

Blackhawk
Bob,

Nice Super. Had one like it, but handed it over to my grandson. Have resisted temptation on a few others.

They are pretty easy to spot. No cylinder gap and early silver medallions with blue escutcheons.

VonFatman

Blackhawk
hutchman,
Thanks. In my mind, it's a step up. I really like the hi-polished blue!

robb,
Glad to remove the temptation!

Ron,
Will the gun be a "truck gun" after all that work?

Ed,
Our grandson is 2 1/2....I have a few years to go before this one goes south!
I'd not considered what "looked different", but after a look at the other SBH I can easily see the cylinder gap!

So if I add the three additional differences you mentioned to my initial/incomplete list of transition items...it's quite a list if the gun is close to the switch-over!

Bob

Axehandle

Buckeye
Praise the Lord.... :D Zeus had been tempting me with that beast too... Just a few more bucks and I'd of had it too! Nice to have the pressure off....... :wink:

RonEgg

Blackhawk
Ron,
Will the gun be a "truck gun" after all that work?

If it turns out to be accurate, it will probably stay in the truck until I get it refinished. Then it will go in the safe with the rest
:lol:

Zeus

Blackhawk
Hole in my safe??? No way, Bob didn't noticed I stuffed two nice old models in my back pockets on the way out the door :) I'm glad Bob likes it, I sure would have hated to cut the barrel up and switch gripframes on such a nice example of an early NM :) By the way Bob, Ruger told me a while back that it was shipped in August of 73'.

Rafsob

Single-Sixer
Didn't know much about the older models of Black Hunter, but liked the new models. It has been in the woods with me on many occaisions. It is one of my favorites. She is just one of many Rugers in my safe:

SBHHunter45Colt.jpg

Latest posts