a sudden abundance of 357 max?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Seems they are starting to pop out of the woodwork. Now there are three on GB and two listed as NIB w/sleeves. Haven't seen this many for sale in quite awhile. Wonder if the economy is flushing some collector type guns out into the market?
There have been several 10" guns, one selling last week for $656 on AA.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Can't see them flushing them out as they won't offer any parts/service for them now.

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
They're good for conversions. The only difference in them is the extended length of the cylinder, and frame. Everything else is basic NM SBH. I haven't heard that they have stopped making parts for the SBH, lately. :shock:
EarlFH

kk9z

Bearcat
Has anybody ever heard of converting one of them to .454 Casull?

I was dinking around with 1 of my Dad's 10" (not shooting, just thinking) the other day, and it looked like you could re-barrel, recylinder, etc.

On the .357 Maximum ammo, has anybody tried it with modern bullet designs?

I remember a trip we took with Tom Ruger in about 1990 to shoot doves in Mexico. (I still miss Tom) and he told the story of bullet jackets from the maximum landing about 40 feet down range from the firing line.

I just wondered if anyone had experience with using new "bonded/fused/locked/whatever" pistol bullets with .357 max?

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Jimbo,

I don't really think there are all that many out there for sale right now. Sure there are some pretty nice offerings like you said but I have seen quite a few more listed in the past. There has been a steady stream of Maxi's on GB for the last couple of years and if you really wanted one you could pick one up about anytime you felt the need.

I am not a collector of Maxi's but I have more than one but not as many as Coogs!! :mrgreen: I really like the cartridge and as I learned here on the forum years ago when I first started looking in to the Maxi , they shine with heavy bullets at modest velocities.

Kent ,

I wonder if the separating bullets were the light loads being pushed at warp speed? That was the supposed death of the Maxi right there.

I have taken the advice of Flatgate and others here on the forum and do not load anything lighter than 180 grain bullets and do not use fast ball powders either and stay with a stick powder. I have used the Hornady 180 grain XTP and have had excellent results. Another is the Remington 180 grain JHP. those are the only jacketed bullets I have tried. I have a pile of hardcast loads worked up from 180 grain to 213 grain but can't comment on the performance yet. All I can say is there is no jacket to worry about separating on those!

I never understood taking a nice revolver that is no longer being made and converting it. I am going to put a lot more effort into accumulating more Maxi's like Coogs. If the conversions keep going on the Maxi might end up being the scarcest new model Ruger out there.

If there is such a big market out there for converting these Maxi's...wouldn't there be a market for someone to build a frame that would be about the same price or less than a whole sacrificial revolver? Probably not otherwise someone would have done it already.

Jeff.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Here's Glen Fryxell's thoughts about the "problem" of top strap cutting: "Initially, there was a surge of interest in taking light bullets and trying to drive them as fast as possible with the .357 Max. This is counter-productive. These short stumpy bullets are ballistically inefficient and shed velocity quickly, and provide poor terminal performance. These loads also tend to be the ones that accelerate top-strap cutting and forcing cone erosion (especially with W296/H110). Like any Magnum, the reason for the .357 Maximum's existence is not to take lightweight bullets and drive them ultra-fast, but rather to take heavier than normal bullets and drive them as fast (or faster) than the standard cartridge drives standard weight bullets. The .357 Max does its best with bullets weighing 175 grains and up. The top-strap cutting and forcing cone erosion that resulted from these experiments rattled the folks at Ruger, and the .357 Maximum was dropped from production after only about 9,000-10,000 were made. The negative PR also damaged the sales of Dan Wesson revolvers. They tried to counter it by offering a second barrel with the gun, but that didn't help much. The popularity of the .357 Maximum was waning. Which is too bad, because all that was really needed was an understanding of how to properly load the cartridge, and to recognize that top-strap cutting is a self-limiting process that stops after it reaches a certain point".
Personally, I'd love to have a Maximum to use as it was intended, as a great silhouette sixgun.....Butcher one with a conversion? Not me....Dennis :x (Uh....could a five shot Blackhawk in .500 WE be built on one of these?.... :shock: )

Kanook

Buckeye
"There's a 10 inch at my local shop for 650."

I have a NIB Ruger M77R MKII in 300 win that I would love to trade for a 357 maxi.

pbslinger

Single-Sixer
The SRM is not a candidate for 454 Casull. The pressures are too high. 445 Supermag is a common conversion.

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
Two or three years ago, I came across 3 at different gun/pawn shops within 35 miles of my home town. I see one or two for sale pretty regularly when browsing gun/pawn shops in NE Oklahoma and the gun shows.

Aggie01

Blackhawk
I chopped up a shooter grade one.
Between the money i noted as taking out of it when I transferred the cylinder to another project ($100) and what I got for some take off parts, I ended up with about $350 in the base gun.

No reason to do the 454 on a max frame. 460 S&W? maybe. .458 Linebaugh, yep. (5 shot conversions)

My conversion was to the 500 linebaugh maximum.
500MAX.jpg