A Stricken Striker

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunsbam69

Hunter
This is one of the Talo .22 ones I put a Bisley hammer on. .22 MAG cylinder is all I use in it. The CCI .22 MAG snake shot has taken out many a surly rattler and a few copperheads in this one since I switched to it from the .45 for snakes, and the Speer Gold Dot (Short Barrel) 40 grainers have been wacking armadillos in it since I first got it. I'd like to cut a .32 down to 3 3/4" to match it though. The John Wayne ones were the only 3 3/4 .32 H&R revolvers, with all the John Wayne signatures, initials, brands etc. I've thought about cutting down a .32 to match this one. Am leaning toward having Alan do one in .41 special on a .32 and barreling the same length as this one with a Bisley hammer. You get into the transfer bar channel to make a .41 on a new model, but it doesn't hurt anything. Just looks a lil funny when you open the loading gate. Kinda like a display gun you can watch the parts move in :D

gunsbam69

Hunter
Western Timber Rattler. We're over run with them out here on the Osage. I killed one 5 '4" a few years ago. Made a guitar strap out of it and had a bunch of hide left. 13 rattles on that one all in tact.

gunsbam69 said:
Western Timber Rattler. We're over run with them out here on the Osage. I killed one 5 '4" a few years ago. Made a guitar strap out of it and had a bunch of hide left. 13 rattles on that one all in tact.
That skin would make a great hat band.

gunsbam69

Hunter
Fox Mike said:
gunsbam69 said:
That skin would make a great hat band.

Yip. I'm thinking the same thing. It's plenty long enough. Wacked a copperhead big enough the other night too but it was in late skin phase so very dull colors. Holding out for a fresh one. The color and markings are incredible on one that's got a fresh skin around here.

Joe S.

Hunter
Well if you ain't going use it, why don't you just skin it out and send it with my 454… Ya see I just got this new hat...

:mrgreen:

I borrowed this photo from another web site. I don't think I have even seen this many rattles except on one in the San Francisco zoo.

image_zpsjkeug1du.jpg

gunsbam69

Hunter
Sonofagun, beat my big one by THREE rattles :!: One thing some of the guys I know who've killed many a ton of them noticed right off the bat that I gave no thought to was none of them were busted up. They said it's unusual.

Don Lovel

Hunter
gunsbam69 said:

I worked as a lease pumper on several parts of Osage county on the Zinc Ranch, The Arrowhead Ranch and over on the large tract of land just north of the Keystone Dam for many years. We had a bunch of those out there. I bent over to pick up a coil of plastic gas line one morning and got my face within a couple feet of one coiled up, I was just lucky it was a cool morning and the snake was sluggish. We had a den of about twenty of them under the shed we kept our pipe fittings in, always fun to go there in the summer and dance through rattlers and avoid wasp nest and ground hornet nest around that building I always thought we should have just torched that old shed and done ourselves a favor.

Just to be picky and OCD-ish, isn't that critter rightly called a "Prairie Rattlesnake"? (Related to the Timber Rattler, all right, and to our own laid-back California "Pacific Rattlesnake")

Or has some herpetology genius with a DNA lab changed the species and common name on me again?

Handsome snake; prettier gun! .22 WMR six shooter makes a great traveling companion, don't it?

awp101

Single-Sixer
TX, home of DeeDee Snavely's Used Guns and Weapons
Way off topic, but that pic brought back a memory of my Grandfather that I haven't thought about in forever.

One of the last times we went hunting together must have been around 1993-94. It must have been dove season because we were each carrying a 12ga. The landowner had some partially buried metal containers with an open top, maybe 6' deep (I never knew what they were for). Pop saw a rattlesnake at the bottom of one and I took it's head off with my 12. He knew one of the guys at camp would want it for the skin and rattles so he fished it out with a hooked piece of metal.

We headed back to camp which was close by and Pop was carrying it by the rattles at arms length. Now this thing had no head at all and was dead as the proverbial door nail but it gave one of those involuntary twitches that things that are dead but don't know they are dead will give. He flung it as far as he could while cutting loose with a string of profanity that he probably hadn't used since his Navy days in WWII.

When he composed himself and I quit laughing my fool head off we found he was still holding about half the rattles. I don't remember if we went and found the carcass or if we told his friend where to find it but I seem to recall his friend skinned it and laid it out to dry before we left.

Not long after that his knees got too bad to hunt and work kept me from having the time. I lost him last year at 91.

Great looking snake killer and thanks for bringing a memory back to me...

gunsbam69

Hunter
Mike Armstrong said:
Just to be picky and OCD-ish, isn't that critter rightly called a "Prairie Rattlesnake"? (Related to the Timber Rattler, all right, and to our own laid-back California "Pacific Rattlesnake")

Or has some herpetology genius with a DNA lab changed the species and common name on me again?

Handsome snake; prettier gun! .22 WMR six shooter makes a great traveling companion, don't it?

Nope. Western Timber Rattler. A gal that lives about 35 NE of me posted a pic of a prairie rattler she killed on her place on facebook awhile back though. This shot Doc took is a prairie rattler.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Mike Armstrong said:

Hi,

Mike, is that Pacific rattlesnake you mention the one that's almost black? If so, the ones I've run into were FAR from "laid back." Downright irritable and aggressive would describe the guys I'm thinking of...

Rick C

gunsbam69

Hunter
Looked online under the search "Pacific Rattlesnake". That is quite a viewing. All kinds of wild color and pattern variation. Neat looking sub species. Another wild lookin one is this Arizona Blacktail.