A story ~ food for thought

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
The older gentleman entered into the multi-story office building and headed for the waiting elevator. He got on, moved to the back and faced outward. Just behind him entered a young woman, a business woman. The old gentleman removed his hat. The elevator went up one floor and stopped. Then up another floor and another stop.

The young woman grumbled, "Is this d_____d thing going to stop at every floor!

Without a word the old gentleman replaced his hat on his head.

Bob Wright

6GUNSONLY

Hunter
Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
I have a good elevator joke or story... Family from way out in the backwoods makes their first trip to the city. They stop at a pretty nice hotel of several stories height. Paw and junior go in to see about a room. While they stand politely in line to be waited on, Paw observes an elderly woman make her way across the lobby. Two doors slide apart and she enters, doors close and she disappears. A few moments later, the doors reopen and out steps a very attractive young lady. Paw, never taking his eyes off the strange doorway, says, "Junior... go get yer maw. "

Actually, I thought you removed your hat when ever you entered a building, but that might have just been from my first year of higher ejumacation.
Then again you also stood up when ever a woman entered or left the room or the table.

eveled

Hunter
I refuse to treat woman differently than men. They want to treated equal they get treated equal.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Actually, I thought you removed your hat when ever you entered a building, but that might have just been from my first year of higher ejumacation.
Then again you also stood up when ever a woman entered or left the room or the table.
It is acceptable, even proper, to remain covered in the lobby, entrance, or hallways of such buildings. When entering an individual office, then remove the hat.

Bob Wright

Bob:
I think you should write a book. Call it “Bobism’s” or “The Wright Way.” But no, seriously, all of these outlooks on life you have. Plus your posts are always good to read.

I am guilty of leaving my hat on inside sometimes. For example, if I stop at the gas station and want something to drink. I want to wear my hat to the door, because of the sun.

So where do I balance my hat if my hands are full getting a soda pop and then paying for it?

Besides I just recently bought the coolest straw Stetson. Gotta show it off! :)

contender

Ruger Guru
I immediately got the story. Good one.

I remove my hat whenever I sit at a table to eat. I also remove my hat indoors often. I also tip my hat as I meet a lady a lot. (Not always,, but I try.) Just a few days ago, I tipped my hat, (I wear a ball cap,) to a lady & she broke into the biggest smile. She then said "Thank you,, you just made me think of my Daddy." Great compliment as far as I was concerned.

I'm not the best at my hat etiquette, but I do try.

I try to be respectful to everybody, females get nothing special one way or the other, just another human.
I don't wear a hat, well not unless it's minus 47 degrees and I'm outside working or something like that.

sfhogman

Buckeye
The living corpse of San Francisco Ca USA
Having been in the military, I have sort of a learned instinct concerning removing my hat when entering a building.
As far as the ladies go, they get treated precisely the same as men. The women's movement took care of that years ago as far as I'm concerned.

Montelores

Buckeye
Maybe, some people haven't had the benefit of a gracious and genteel upbringing.

Maybe, it wasn't their fault.

Maybe, extending courtesy and consideration to someone unfamiliar with such behaviour
might help civilize the world.

Has anyone seen My Fair Lady?

One never knows.

Monty

mexicanjoe

Single-Sixer
Working patrol for many years whilst wearing a straw or felt hat I became accustomed to wearing it indoors when speaking to complainants/victims/witnesses.. However, on my time I insist on removing any headgear while at the table , or speaking to a lady .

Having done that at restaurant in Abilene Texas I had my wife and son( in a wheelchair) and ordered a meal. I left my straw hat on my sons lap while we dined. Apparently, I caught the attention of a retired Marine because as we finished our meal, I asked for the check. The waiter told us that we had been paid out by a retired Marine and was impressed I was the only one in the dining room without a hat. I guess good manners off.

turd

Blackhawk
So many good posts here not much remains to be said. I don't wear a hat, but do try to show respect unless I am disrespected, which seems to be happening more and more. Maybe it is just me, but I don't think so. Way too much "me" stuff and not enough "we" stuff going on these days.

noahmercy

Single-Sixer
While it may have appeared as a joke, I got to use a good line one time when I opened the door for a woman at a store. I guess she was a "feminazi" because she sneered at me and said, "You don't have to hold the door for me because I'm a woman!" I responded with, "I'm not, ma'am. I'm holding the door because I'm a gentleman."

Left her speechless...

jimbo1096

Buckeye
I would venture to say that most young 'uns under 40 , maybe 50, don't know the ways of etiquette. In restaurants, church, and most other indoor public places, I never wear a hat. It seems most don't consider a ballcap the same as other head coverings. I learned from my parents to treat a lady with preference, walk on the curb side of the sidewalk, hold the door open, and not wear a hat indoors. The Navy reinforced the hat rule.
If a women doesn't want to act like a lady, that doesn't mean I have to be something other than a gentleman.