A short rant on Ruger's Old Model legal problems

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Terry T

Buckeye
I'd have to find an original Blackhawk manual but my early "letter" Bearcat manual talked about the 'safety' notch in the hammer (3 'clicks' - 1st was the safe, 2nd to load and unload, and the 3rd to be ready to fire). I was uneducated in such things at the time (only 14 years old) and thought that it was what it said it was. :shock:
Only later did I learn that the 'safety' notch could be sheared off if the gun was dropped on it's hammer. Folks new to guns, might have believed the manual. :shock:
My dad had been reared around guns but not the old Colt single actions.
Just sayn'.
Terry T

TCGuy

Single-Sixer
This reminds me of a newspaper article that was published in the Albuquerque journal back in the late 90s (I think).

It was about a local family that had lost two members to gunshot wounds, and the same gun was involved in both cases - an Old Model .357 Blackhawk.

The writer was trying to blame the gun, but after reading what happened, it was obvious that negligence and stupidity were to blame.

The first incident occurred when a guy was climbing into his truck with the gun stuffed in his waistband ("Mexican Carry") and all six chambers loaded. The gun fell and discharged upon impact with the ground, and the bullet killed the guy.

The next incident was clearly an ND. Someone was decocking the loaded revolver, with his hand in front of the muzzle (???) and the muzzle also pointed at another family member. The hammer slipped, and the operator had a hole in his hand and a fatally gutshot family member, to boot.

If this family had simply taken some training and RTFM'd (Read The Factory Manual), none of this would have happened.

DGW1949

Hunter
Interesting thread.
My own point of view is that might-near every accident that I've had was due to my own action(s), or my lack of taking a more-prudent action. Can't blame anyone but me for that, eh?
When I apply my thinking on that to the case under discussion, what I see is that Mr Day was carrying a gun around while it's firing system was in contact with a loaded cartridge. He loaded the gun himself, so unless he was a complete idiot, he had to have known that and simply choze to disregard the risk. That only leaves the option that he was an idiot....and idiots shouldn't play with guns....'cause guess what?...guns are primarly weapons, and weapons are inherently dangerous.

Sorry the guy accidently kilt himself, but it was him that was the causing factor.

DGW