a scope question for my Ruger M77 II

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Doc Mark

Single-Sixer
Greetings, Ruger Friends,

It's been a while since I've had time to visit and enjoy the forum, as our little business just keeps chugging along, which is a real blessing these days! A few years ago, I bought a brand new left-handed Ruger M77 II, .30-06, in stainless steel, with a nice grey laminated stock. Got it from a local gun store, which, though it is an hour drive each way, offered outstanding customer service and information! Well worth the time and investment to make the trip and give my business to those good folks. I later found a used scope in an antique store, which I bought for $20. It is an old, made in Japan, Banner 4-12x40, by Bushnell, with adjustable objective lens, and it fits this rifle like it was made for it. The reticle is a thin wire, with no duplex, which my aging eyes find attractive, and the optics are clean, clear, and very bright. Scope adjustments are in 1/6" increments @ 100 yards, and are nice and positive. I've tested the parallax adjustment and range knobs and they turn nicely, with no creep, or resistance, and, once set, they do not move on their own.

I have yet to shoot this combination, however, and am now wondering if this old scope will hold up to my .30-06 Ruger. I am thinking it should be a great match, but would appreciate hearing what you Gentlemen have to say about it. This scope appears to be very well made, and of nice quality, and not in the least like the El Cheapo scopes stores are selling these days. I'm guessing that this scope was made in the 1960-1970 era, but could be wrong about that. I'll have to drag out all my old shooting books and magazines (some dating back to the 1950's!), and see if I can narrow down the date a bit better. Thanks for any thoughts, comments, or suggestions that you might care to share with me. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Chief 101

Hunter
that sounds like the cream of the crop from Bushnell...but I can't answer your question...I do hope it works out for you tho. Chief aka Maxx Load

CoyoteDown

Bearcat
Doc Mark-

Your question about your scope caught my eye. Back when the planet was still cooling off, remember those daze, I got a new Savage 340E in .222 with a Savage 4X scope on it. Like yours it's old school, a fixed wire set up - zero it in for your given range and go shooting! The only markings on it are Savage-BUWA - Japan Model 0433B. Probably 4X33 fixed.

If you or any one happens to come across a reference drop us a line or two. Called Savage and they were not too helpfull - seems they didn't start keeping records until years later.

Thanks Mate

Doc Mark

Single-Sixer
Gentlemen,

Thank you, very much, for your replies. I appreciate your comments, and will begin digging around in my old Gun Digests, Shooting Times, Guns and Ammo, and other older books and magazines from past years and see if I can find more information. As mentioned before, I do think this scope dates to the 1960-1970 period, but more research will tell the true tale. If I find anything definitive, I'll share it here. Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc