A sad little SP101 gets a makeover-Range Report Update

Help Support Ruger Forum:

stantheman86

Buckeye
Those .38 SP101's are just as strong as the .357 versions, they can take any of the +P+ rounds or .357 level loaded rounds.

I would have no hesitation shooting the hot CorBon or Buffalo Bore .357 +P's in a .357 SP101. It might be a handful but you won't hurt that gun.

cobalt402

Single-Sixer
Gentlemen:

Mentioned in here a couple of times is the reference to a "short frame". I just picked up a 3" SP in .38 w/ a # 570-43XXX. Is this a short frame and if so, how is it differant from the current frame? Does it take differant grips (ie: Hogue) than the nerwer versions?

tks, c4

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
Based on the serial number, your SP would be a second year model from 1990 and would be a short frame.

When the SP was originally introduced, it was built for the 38 Special. It didn't take long for gun writers and other experimenters to rechamber it to 357 and find that it was indeed strong enough to handle the mightier cartridge. Except for one thing....
It was too short to handle the full length of 357 cartridges loaded with heavier bullets, i.e. the standard 158 gr rounds. So some of the early short frames in 357 had the warning to use 125gr or less 357Mag ammo. Once Ruger was convinced the gun was capable of handling the 357Mag, and recognizing the potential market, he retooled to lengthen the frame window and cylinder the necessary 0.10" to accommodate all 357 ammo. I'm not exactly sure when that was, but I would suspect sometime around 1992.

This article gives a little background on the story:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_8_53/ai_n19313632/

I believe they all take the same grips. That part didn't change.

stantheman86

Buckeye
To further muddy the waters, Ruger currently still makes a .38 Special SP101, but it is a "long" frame, basically just the .357 version chambered for .38. I assume they make these for foreign sales, and for off-duty LEO's who aren't allowed to carry .357's.

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
Congratulations on your "rescue puppy". Good job.
VAdoublegunner said:
Now if I can figure out how to attach a lanyard to it....
What about taking the grips off, putting a hole in the grips through which the lanyard can pass and tie an attachment point to the grip post? The grip post has plenty of space where a wrap of wire or nylon could be sufficiently stationary and secure.

Lost Sheep

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
That may have inspired me, Lost Sheep.

I think I could use a length of heavy coated SS leader wire and loop crimp it to the gripframe without even having to drill it, leaving only the necessity of a relatively small hole I would have to punch in the grip itself to pass it through. Maybe even insert a small bronze eyelet through the hole to keep it from ripping from side pressure stress. Or perhaps a short loop attachment an external SS split ring so a coated wire leader lanyard (perhaps heavy monofilament in case I needed to cut it) with snaps on each end could be easily clipped and unclipped. It would be easy enough to replace as necessary and not permanently changing overall. The rubber grip is easily replaced if need be.

I guess the analogy of an SP101 to a boat anchor sometimes isn't that far off!
(....must resist temptation to troll with it.....)