A rough week or 2, maybe 3 +

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sebtool

Blackhawk
My kids (24 and 26) must have some sort of secret revenge plot. I think that they're trying to get me to commit hari kari, by driving their mother, and at the same time, ME!, over the edge.....

#1 daughter, 26, is a social worker, bless her heart. Definitely a field that I tried to talk her out of, but we all know how that went, don't we? She's worked with the mentally ill in St Louis for the last 4 years since graduating. She decided about a year ago that to effect any real change to a really screwed up sytem, that she needed her Master's in Social Work. She says that without it, her options for advancement/progress are very limited. OK, I'll buy that.

So she did some research. The #1, #2 and #3 ranked schools in the country for her MSW are located in MI, TX, and guess where else - St Louis! We have family in MI, not too far from Lansing and the school, plus my cousin lived and worked there for a few years. He could, and would, give her enough info and help to get her going. But it gets pretty cold there, so....

-Wash U in St Louis. Yup, 1 hr, +/-, away. Nope. The company she works for will not help her pay for school, even though she works for 1 of the largest health care conglomerates in the midwest! They won't even allow her supervisor to give her a reference in her new job search, as they're afraid of liability issues down the road. Pathetic. Plus, she decided that St Louis is getting a bit more interesting than she wants to deal with right now. It's been that way for a while now, as far as I'm concerned, so no arguement there! I spent an hour on the phone with her the evening that the mayor and DA released the statement that the officer who shot Mikey Brown was not going to face charges. I talked to her till she got home, which was just before the press conference. She skipped her last appointment that day.

SO. U of TX, at Arlington, it is. We pick up the UHaul Thursday morning, load it, and drive down Friday to her new digs. I anticipate going broke on all the #!%$#@!!!! toll roads between here and there, as well. So now, her mother won't be able to jump in the car and take her shopping, go for lunch, etc, as their schedules would occasionally permit up till now. Or just go up there to get away for a bit, and visit. Worse, is that she won't be able to come down here to hang out for the weekend, bbq, and do some shooting on Sunday afternoon, either.... :(

NEXT. Yesterday, I dropped my son (24) off at a recruiting station so his happy butt can go to Fort Benning for the next 6 months. Basic, then OCS. He's going for all the right reasons, but that doesn't make it any easier to see him go. Especially after finding out that he turned down a $70k job right after he got his bachelor's degree, as it wasn't part of his plan... I pray that the new C-I-C, after he gets out of OCS next Jan will be, at the very least, a huge improvement over the clown with the title now!
The requirements are much different now than when I was asked if I wanted to go to OCS after boot camp 37 years ago! He's been working at it for months, taking online classes, going to meetings, etc. He's been in good shape, P90x and all that. Last PFT he ran, he missed Ranger school qualification numbers by 3 points. The recruiters told him he needed to be able to max out the PFT before he went, if he wanted to stand out when he gets there. He'll get there. He's a good man, he will do well. We'll see how far he decides to go with it, and go from there. The wife and I are both veterans, so we have a clue as what he's getting into. But Afghanistan was just a rocky little country 35 years ago. Times change. Ask the Russians.

The bottom line is, the wife left for work crying on Monday. Her baby is in the Army now! The week hasn't gotten much better, and I don't think it will. After we get #1 daughter settled, we're off to pick up a washer and dryer for her, and hopefully (!) have it DELIVERED! The plan is to hang around till early Tuesday to help her out. Might ease the strain of leaving, but I doubt it.

To top it all off, the M-I-L volunteered to go along for the ride. Don't get me wrong, she's OK for an 'outlaw'. And she might even help settle the wife down on the 10+ HOUR drive home. I sure hope so, anyway.....

Sorry for the long post, just needed to vent a little. To put the icing on the cake, I quit smoking last week, after 39 years. So yeah, things are just a little dicey around here right now!!!!!!!

graygun

Hunter
Well,I hope all goes well with this;I have no "chilluns" so cannot empathize. Two of my sisters earned masters degrees in the '70s,both in nursing fields. The older one was a vet of the Army nurse corps (67-71) and the younger worked full time in DC while going-on.

I hope your son serves in a country with a govt that is worth his efforts. Your daughter,at 26,is very fortunate to have parents that will do these things. May God be with all of you!

Mobuck

Hawkeye
I know a place in Colorado that's cooler, less humid, and away from all the cares of home. Take a tent, a cot, cooler, and light sleeping bag and forget those problems for a week(or 2-maybe 3).

contender

Ruger Guru
Relax,,, we don't mind a bit of venting,,, especially for a guy who just quit smoking & is likely a bit "testy!"
They are our babies,,, but we have to step back & realize they are now grown up & must be on their own. My youngest, (at 34) is a LEO. Talk about worrying right now.
Tell your son a LOT of us appreciate his willingness to serve & we'll be supporting him. And your daughter will be in a much better place & will learn to cope with life there. Heck there are a lot worse places than Texas!

hickoryhillbill

Single-Sixer
Hang in there Seb. My son is a copter pilot in the Army and by his 3rd deployment to the mideast I thought the wife would stroke every time the phone rang. It probably wont't get any easier.

sebtool

Blackhawk
Thanks. 100 miles away at college wasn't bad, spread over 7 yrs. I think that it's both of them putting a whole lot more miles in the mix, in the span of a few days that's making things interesting.

Son will be fine, and I appreciate your thoughts and prayers. Not a good time to be in the miltary for anyone, as far as I'm concerned. He's no dummy, he'll make it. Contender, thank your son for us. That's a tough job these days. My son considered the MO State Patrol, but decided on the Army.

As far as the daughter goes, she's been working since she was16, bought and paid for both cars she's owned in that time. Worked her way thru college, worked 4 yrs as a social worker in areas that I don't go without carrying a gun, and at least 1 reload, preferably an extra box of ammo. Has student loans, and is taking on more to advance in her chosen field. Has paid for her own apartments, utilites, etc thru college and after. She's paying for the majority of this move, as well as everything down there. Out of savings, btw, until she finds a job that fits her school schedule.

Titan, I have a great respect for the people of TX, and the general attitude of self sufficiency. She was raised with those values, believe it or not. If helping her out with the move, and supplying her with a couple of fairly inexpensive appliances is conditioning her to become a democrat, perhaps she'll rub off on a few Texans, and improve their outlook a bit.

BTW, mobuck, I'm considering just that, tho it might be in the UP of Michigan! Fresh salmon sounds good. :wink:

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
sebtool said:
Son will be fine, and I appreciate your thoughts and prayers. Not a good time to be in the miltary for anyone, as far as I'm concerned. He's no dummy, he'll make it. Contender, thank your son for us. That's a tough job these days. My son considered the MO State Patrol, but decided on the Army.

Advice from am old vet (US ARMY 1966-1969)

Tell your son to NOT "ASS-u-ME" that he "knows" all the answers and to listen to the E-4's (Spec 4's ?) and the older Sgt (E-6 and up) because they KNOW all the shortcuts and how to get things done. :roll: :roll: :wink: :wink: :D
Good luck to them BOTH.

Latest posts