A question for the GP100 owners out there?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rugerfan100

Single-Sixer
Anyone have the rear sight cross pin move out every time you shoot the weapon? It seems mine moves out about 1/8" every time after a shooting session.

the fatman

Single-Sixer
1748-1.jpg
If we are talking about circled part I will also be interested in responses because this comes out on my Alaskan 44 mag. So far it never comes out any farther then what you mentioned. Though mine has only come out a few times.

actionflies

Bearcat
This pin came out in 2 of my Ruger revolvers. Take the pin and slightly bend it in the middle and tap it back in. It won't come out again.

rugerfan100

Single-Sixer
Yes, that is exactly the part I am talking about. Ok, thought I might be the only one! The slight bend in the pin sounds like the trick!

nn

Single-Sixer
Have not had the problem, but, am going to watch for it now.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Problem is common to all adjustable sight Ruger revolvers. Now, can somebody tell me why my gun rattles? ....kidding. :D :D

...Jimbo

GKC

Blackhawk
Jimbo357mag":1ml8fcd1 said:
Now, can somebody tell me why my gun rattles? ....kidding. :D :D

...Jimbo

:oops: Yeah, I know I asked that about my LCR...but I swear the transfer bar on my Alaskan and Vaquero doesn't rattle!

airwin

Bearcat
Hi Rugerfan, you also can take out the pin, put a little Loctite thread locker on it and stick the pin into the frame on its place. This will last steady too. Thread locker you can use also for pins not only for threads.

batmann

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the tip, my Alaskan in .44M backs out, but not as much as that.
While we are handing out tips, my trigger pivot pin backs out as well and the grips are the only thing stopping it. Is this normal as well?

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
batmann":i5xgkjyf said:
Thanks for the tip, my Alaskan in .44M backs out, but not as much as that.
While we are handing out tips, my trigger pivot pin backs out as well and the grips are the only thing stopping it. Is this normal as well?

Yep, thats why the grips cover the pin. Some are snugger than others. :D

...Jimbo

batmann

Single-Sixer
Thanks. I have thought about getting a new one to see if it fit tighter. It's just something that I have noticed when I am shooting, no harm, no foul.
Thanks again.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Have you ever "wondered" why the factory doesn't "bend" any pins when they engineer and assemble these guns? When they want a pin to stay in place, they either: block it with another part, stake it in place, put locking rings on it or use a very "slightly" oversize pin. This makes for "easier" disassembly and repair when necessary to take the gun down. After working on thousands of guns over the years and seeing just about "everything" done to fasten/keep parts in place, I strongly recommend the "factory's" procedures!...................Dick :wink:

JohnW

Bearcat
I have not had the pin try to back out of my GP100. However, if I had that issue, I would consider using a tiny drop of Loctite 290 (green), which is a "wicking" formula that is applied after the fastener is in place. It is lower strength than the blue or red, which might require heat to get the pin loose if you ever did need to remove it. Typical use for 290 is carbeuretor or throttle body butterfly screws, etc.

e3mrk

Bearcat
I had this problem and I tapped one end of the Pin to flatten it a little and reinstalled it with Locktite.
Seems to have fixed it.

WANT A LCR 22LR

Bearcat
And here I thought my GP 100 was the only one with a moving sight pin. Bending the pim might move the sight slightly but probably not enough to matter. I'll probably flatten the ends a bit.

Pal Val

Buckeye
I thought about the options given here and opted to flatten a bit of the pin too. It's pretty snug now. I was afraid to break the pin when bending it, if the metal is brittle.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
When you "bend" pins, and I have seen this practice often on guns I have worked on, you actually can "change" the distance and angle of the part riding on the bent pin in relation to the part it "interacts" with which inevitably will lead to malfunctions especially as the wear "factor" comes into play. Some guns are so tightly "fitted" that it often does not take much of a bend to affect proper operation of the gun.........................Dick :wink: