A question for LC9/LC380 owners

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GKC

Blackhawk
First, I apologize in advance if this question has been asked before, especially by me (senior moments) but I truly did try to find out with a search...I found lots of stuff on LC9 and cleaning, but not this specific question.

How often, if ever, do you take out the firing pin on your LC9 and clean out the channel? I have yet to do so, but I have seen a good video on the process, and it doesn't seem terribly hard...but then, I've found that many other things that don't seem terribly hard on a video are a disaster waiting to happen to me. :oops:

I'm also assuming that the process would be the same for the LC380.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
I was cleaning a LC9 that's not mine but I shoot a lot a few months ago. I like to take the striker out when I clean occasionally too so I went to the internet. I remember watching a youtube video and saying to myself "Welp I guess I will never be taking the striker out" because it looked too complicated for me. Its possible I just saw a bad video. Can you link the one you found?

I know what ya mean about disasters waiting to happen, the first time I removed the extractor on my SR a TINY spring went flying and I spent the next 45 minutes on the carpet trying to find it again.

GKC

Blackhawk
Rei40c said:
Can you link the one you found?

This one is from Galloway Precision:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZnB6-sPct8

You may want to check out their channel...there are a number of other interesting videos on it.

Rei40c said:
I know what ya mean about disasters waiting to happen, the first time I removed the extractor on my SR a TINY spring went flying and I spent the next 45 minutes on the carpet trying to find it again.

I've lost various parts, springs, etc so I've learned to use a very large plastic bag when I am disassembling anything with springs, and also not to do it in any room with furniture that is too darn heavy to move. :wink:

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Well I gotta say I think I could do that. Maybe I"ll give it a try. Just watch out for 3:10. As for how often I'm not sure. I do my Sr's every 800-1000 rounds but most say that's too much. Not sure about the LC's with how it gunks up since I've never been in there. They all are different in that way.

Skinnedknuckles

Bearcat
Rei40c said:
Well I gotta say I think I could do that. Maybe I"ll give it a try. Just watch out for 3:10. As for how often I'm not sure. I do my Sr's every 800-1000 rounds but most say that's too much. Not sure about the LC's with how it gunks up since I've never been in there. They all are different in that way.

I have over 1100 rounds through my LC9 and haven't cleaned the channel yet. I just removed the firing pin while installing some of the Galloway parts and it wasn't that difficult following the Galloway video. I polished the firing pin and some of the other parts while I had them out, but didn't really do anything to the channel but squirt some cleaner in the hole. In hindsight I should have done a little more cleaning but knock-on-wood I haven't had any light strike/misfire issues.

If you decide to get into the frame (magazine disconnect) this is a good video to watch as well as the Galloway videos. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmLOQSAp14w

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Skinnedknuckles said:
Rei40c said:
If you decide to get into the frame (magazine disconnect) this is a good video to watch as well as the Galloway videos. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmLOQSAp14w

thx I'll check it out.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Buy a Dunk-Kit and forget about detail stripping.
This is the 21st century after all... :roll:
http://www.cylinder-slide.com/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=catshow&ref=Dunk

GKC

Blackhawk
mohavesam said:
Buy a Dunk-Kit and forget about detail stripping.
This is the 21st century after all... :roll:
http://www.cylinder-slide.com/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=catshow&ref=Dunk

That's interesting...but I wonder if that would remove the metal shavings that seem to be the issue in the firing pin/striker channel?

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Obviously not going to remove fixed metal. But anything loose in any channel should not be an issue. It simply washes out.
Mine cleans contaminants like tranny fluid - it leaves the smallest passages squeaky clean and dry. And doesn't eat plastic frames.

bada61265

Single-Sixer
just use some spray cleaner and blow it in all the holes. do it from both ends and you should never have to remove that pin. ive owned close to 30 pistols and have never HAD to remove a firing pin for cleaning. at least one of those guns had over 20k rounds threw it and another easily over 10k. i took one out to reprofile the striker engagement but not specifically to clean it. ive had others out for other reasons aside from cleaning. yet for your gun if you suspect metal shavings because of light strikes then by all means should be a pretty simple procedure.

modrifle3

Buckeye
It should be thousands of rounds before it needs cleaning as long as the channel started clean.

guidedfishing

Single-Sixer
For sure it needs to be cleaned initially to get the milling crude out. After that only sparingly. I had a couple light strikes initially, I cleaned all the metal shavings out of the channel, degreased it and then just a every so light spot of CLP. Not problems after over 2000 rounds through the LC9

shot straight and shoot often

Cherokee Slim

Bearcat
I try to detail strip an auto every time I forget what happened the last time; springs & small unexpected parts fly everywhere, sometimes to found later, sometimes lost forever. I either soak the slide or whatever in Hoppes 9 or something like that, then blast it dry with my air compressor. I lose less parts that way.
Cherokee Slim

GKC

Blackhawk
In order to remove the metal shavings dont you have to remove the firing pin?