A Question about Ruger Convertible Blackhawks

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
I just recently acquired by trade (for a S&W EZ9) a Blackhawk in 45 Colt with the extra 45 ACP cylinder. The gun is new/unfired with all paperwork, brown paper. box & bag for cyl and the warranty Card... But no box. Owner says he has the yellow and black box and will give it to me when he "finds" it...but don't hold out much trust in that. Were the convertibles marked as such? Don't know when made except probably late 70s early 80s. I also guess there is a way to figure that out. Everything seems to be on the net. I'm just not smart 'nuff to find that stuff.

hittman

Staff member
There's lots of info here and other places about these guns.
If the seller finds the box, the description on the end should tell you if it was born as a convertible.
Otherwise, Ruger will tell you in writing for a whopping $10.00.
You can find its date on Ruger's web site by entering the serial number.
For better and more complete info you can subscribe to the Red Eagle News Exchange (RENE).
Your 45ACP cylinder should have the last 3 digits of your serial number placed on the face in etched pencil. You may have to clean it and/or use magnification to read it.
If it has the 4 5/8 barrel, it's an especially good find for you.
Congrats.

Skeet,. simply tell us what the serial number is , you can "X" out the last digits if you want, it is the prefix that matters wether old model or new model in fact if a New model will say so on the left side of the cylinder frame.......and the gun will have either 3 screws (old model) or be "pinned" ( and say New Model),,,,,,,,,,,,,the old models came in a two piece yellow and black, the New models 1973 came in a red/white one piece fold up box and then in the 1980s went to a one piece fold up yellow /black box.......;)

such as these from left Old model, center first New model, then the 1980s New model

KCJMR5Bm.jpg

Note, : as to the gun being a convertible, this information is on the outside, cardboard shipping wrapper....hope this helps, if in doubt, get the letter!!

Last edited:

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
I wish it was a 4 5/8 inch. My wife has one of them. I will check the cyl for the numbers...with a magnifier. This is the long bbl'd gun and it is a new model. Have to go get the gun out of the car... I've been accumulating last couple days... picked up a couple RCBS presses at Pawn shops. this Blackhawk a nice Ruger 77-22 Hornet SS not blued and I got it with the right price...Also got a S&W Model 60 3 inch with adj sights 38 spec thankfully. I have the same gun in 357...it is not a fun gun. Going to a "friend" who thinks he needs it. I also found a Ruger Blackhawk Flattop 44 Spec... Been shot minimally but 475...Still thinking. I DO like the 44 Spec

usbp sw

Bearcat
I suspect that the Smith and Wesson is the 60-4, it is a wonderful revolver and has a kinda cult following. I saw one at a lgs but wasn't very interested until I cycled the action, it was the smoothest j frame I ever felt. Good luck on all of the aforementioned treasures.

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
Went ahead and bought the Flattop 44 Special. Just couldn't stand it. The serial of the Blackhawk 45 Colt is 46-4774X. Going to check the extra cylinder. The model 60 is indeed a dash 4. I found and passed on a S&W model 15-3 last week and passed on a Ruger Old Army. Cyl was SS instead of blue and the price was high. Picked up a Win White box of 45 ACP ammo today...20 bucks. Dropped out of the bag and I have at least 50 pickup in the morning. I took my old Rem 722 222 and the CZ 204 out today to shoot a few PDs here at home and the PD village is almost a ghost town. Something seems to have killed 'em off- other than me

Johnnu2

Hunter
Us old guys still shoot those 722's and 788's in 222..... many a varmint has bit the dust (literally) to those bolt guns.
p.s. 200 yd accuracy was child's play
p.s. $475 for a Flattop in 44 SPL.... a GOOD THING 2X

J.

harley08

Blackhawk
Went ahead and bought the Flattop 44 Special. Just couldn't stand it. The serial of the Blackhawk 45 Colt is 46-4774X. Going to check the extra cylinder. The model 60 is indeed a dash 4. I found and passed on a S&W model 15-3 last week and passed on a Ruger Old Army. Cyl was SS instead of blue and the price was high. Picked up a Win White box of 45 ACP ammo today...20 bucks. Dropped out of the bag and I have at least 50 pickup in the morning. I took my old Rem 722 222 and the CZ 204 out today to shoot a few PDs here at home and the PD village is almost a ghost town. Something seems to have killed 'em off- other than me
Buy Ruger! Stay away from S&W ( I had a S&W airweight .357 was firing factory .38 specials with it and it blew up in my hand. Sent it to S&W they sent it back with a letter could not find any faults send us $650.00 for new one. Bull SH_ _ I will never buy another S&W! When I broke a Ruger 5.56 carbine I had I sent it to them - They fixed it and returned it no charge!
Rocko Rizzo

contender

Ruger Guru
Johnnu2,, I love the old Remington 788 in .222. I used to own one in that caliber & another one later in .223.
The .222 was formerly owned by my (then) local police chief. He'd sold it to a deputy to help buy a different gun. I traded that deputy out of it. The Chief later gave me a penny that he'd shot a hole through at over 300 yds with that gun. The penny had been taped over a previous hole. I still have the penny. That old police chief told me that "I'd bet my house on one shot with that gun."
Sadly, I let that 788 get away. I traded on a Ruger.
But I did so,, because I had (& still have) a Rem 700 semi-bull barrel BDL in .222. Wickedly accurate caliber & guns for sure.
And I have a good friend who collects the Rem 788's.
There's a reason they bring good money.

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
I like those 722s. My old one(had the longest) is drop dead accurate. Shot a beautiful yote at about 275... in a wind too. The other I have, had the bbl shortened to fit on the rack in a Datsun P/U but it still shoots well. I've been looking for a reasonable 722 in 222 mag. I had a 788 that I re-chambered to mag...Sold it in a moment of weakness. Did Ruger ever chamber a Number 1 in 222 mag? BTW the Blackhawk is evidently from 79. And I shot the 77-22 Hornet. It's way more accurate than my old Winchester M-70. As far as S&Ws. Had many...only one I really didn't want was an airweight 22 kit gun. Traded it on another S&W a 27-2 3 1/2 inch gun. Only Ruger Blackhawk I wish I had not sold was a first year 3 digit 41 Mag...well maybe a first year 44 mag also.

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
I forgot to add. Checked the cylinder for the numbers. I expected to find them on the back end but they were on the other. And while hard to see they were there. I have to check my 357 Blackhawk. It was given to me (actually my wife) by a friend. 'Twas supposed to be a 357 but turned out it was a 9mm. Fellow that gave it to me said it was a convertible but didn't know where the other cylinder was. He was kind of a hoarder. I found a 357 cyl and fitted it. Got to see if the 9mm cylinder was original. Wife wanted a revolver in 45 so I got her a 4 5/8-inch convertible. She can shoot it pretty well but certain she has never shot a 45 auto through it. If decide to sell this one I just got...all docs no box and am pretty certain it hasn't been shot...what range of price should I ask? I do prefer shorter bbls. I knew the trade was a pretty good deal when I got it. Didn't need the EZ9. The last Ruger I sold(Mark I Target) went to Cabela's on a trade for a S&W M 41... Been a while