a question about a GP100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

marlboro man

Bearcat
just picked up a new GP and i'm very pleased pleased so far and i havent even got to shoot it yet. just noticed that the hammer pin is backing its way out while dry firing, about 2 cycles of the cylinder! im still fairly new to ruger double actions, but this doesnt seem right to me. so i guess my question is..is this something i should worry about or am i just jumping the gun( excuse the pun :D )? thanks guys! Joe

GP100man

Buckeye
the grip is over part of it ,right . it`ll keep it from coming all the way out.
the pin floats . all ya need to disassemble a gp into it`s sub assemblys is a dime to turn the grip screw out .

GP100man

firescout

Bearcat
GP100man":3i0orfer said:
...all ya need to disassemble a gp into it`s sub assemblys is a dime to turn the grip screw out...

Ya don't even need that. The rim of a cartridge case works for me to remove the GP's grip screw. After that, no tools needed.

Try that with a S&W revolver...

marlboro man

Bearcat
Thanks guys! it isnt coming all of the way out, just enough to notice i guess. i put an older set of grips on it, the wood insert kind and it does stop it from coming out all of the way, i can push it back in. just didnt know if that was normal or not...had me worried is all. thanks again. Joe

marlboro man

Bearcat
was also wondering what kind of holster will fit it, i'm guessing that the redhawk holsters ruger offer on their site will work right? or would it be more along the s&w K/L or even the N frame size holsters? Thanks again! Joe

s4s4u

Hunter
TrippleK makes a nice form fit holster that is in their printed catalog, but not on the website. Go to the Ruger site and request their Sportswear and Accessories catalog.

Also Uncle Mike's size 3 fits it perfectly if you are on a budget.

cwegga

Bearcat
marlboro man":2fde4yy1 said:
Thanks guys! it isnt coming all of the way out, just enough to notice i guess. i put an older set of grips on it, the wood insert kind and it does stop it from coming out all of the way, i can push it back in. just didnt know if that was normal or not...had me worried is all. thanks again. Joe

Yeah, it is normal. It happens with the SP101 also, the grips keep it from coming out far though. Don't worry about it. I believe Galco and Bianchi make some holsters specifically for the GP100. You could also try some semi-custom makers like www.simplyrugged.com.