A Personal Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hey Guys,
I have been on this great Forum since 2003 with over 5400 post. Wow almost 20 years where does the time go? A lot of my post have been stories and pictures about me, my Kids, Grandkids, Flying, Fishing , Camping, Cars, SASS Shooting and Guns plus many other subjects. I don't do this to show off or brag, but to share my joys and family events with you. The main reason I started the past Rugerfest was to meet as many Guys on here as possible. That was a great experience we made good friends and I wish we could have continued.
I think more of a lot of the members on here than most other people and I also share more with you than most others. I know from the responses that you do care.
After seeing todays Veteran Day post. It got me to thinking about what I'm doing by posting so many pictures. I might be going a little overboard with my post.. Yes I posted pictures and Bios about my family in one of them and I'm proud of what they have done. I only saw one other post with pictures of family in it. Thank you I know how hard it is on the Parent to have a Kid in the Military.

SOOOOOOOOOOO the question is why don't more of you post about your family events? I would think that there are more of you with Military Kids and other family members that have preformed Great accomplishments. Remember 1 picture is worth at least 3 words:) Don't make me feel so embarrassed.
Those such as Cholo, Kevin, Wayno and others that posted their adventures, I thank you very much and keep it up. I know it takes time and effort, especially if you are a two finger typer like I am.
Well time to quit rambling. I think you'll know what I trying to say.
Thanks

40nascar

Banned
I am relatively new here. With that said, and with a Big Thanks for your present and past contributions, I cannot and will not post personal, and family info. online. I would not have a problem, with posting info in a private message to someone who has earned my trust over time.

But with all the spying, by the Chi-Coms, Big Corporations, and our own government, I will not stupidly hand over my personal info to these untrustworthy , evil entities.

ned

Single-Sixer
You make a good point. I have enjoyed all of your posts. It is easier now to post photos….in the unlikely event I ever do anything interesting I will post it.
someday I’d like to fly my Varga to your hanger…that would be a good picture.

contender

Ruger Guru
I've truly enjoyed your posts Jim,,, pics & all. You have every right to be proud of your kids & grandkids. I'm humbled & honored that they serve so proudly.

I've posted some stuff about my family & their past,, but sadly,, there's not a lot of pictures of many things. I just wrote about my Dad & his association with the music business,, and I have posted a few pics of the things associated with it in the past. But sadly,, a lot of stuff got lost in a fire in 1978.

But I agree that this Forum, and the many years I've spent here have made me some great friends. Some I've been able to meet, and others,, while we've never met,, I feel a kindred spirit & friendship. I started the East Coast Gathering after cruzerlou made the post wishing we had one on this end of the country. I'd love to have you fly over here & visit us one time. (PS; I'd expect a plane ride too!) :D

I guess all this points to why I call this place a "big Ruger Forum family!"

Jim:
Same as what Contender just said, I love all your pictures. And am very grateful of your kids for their military service. I’ve never felt like you were bragging, but just being proud of everything they’ve accomplished.

I used to post more personal stuff about my wife and daughter, but years ago i got spooked because someone posted something trying to pinpoint exactly where I live. It just got too personal, ya know? But also, I just don’t want to brag too much.

Here ya go. A while back you did ask me what I do for a job. I never answered. I did teach for a few years. It was a private school, I don’t have a teaching degree. I left when they downsized because of enrollment. My daughter is in 8th grade, and my wife travels a lot…just about every week for 2 to 3 days. And has a trip of two weeks coming up in December. This makes it had to have an actual job. But I do manage to keep busy.

In my previous life, before our daughter, I just simply worked at a Starbucks. It was incredibly fun, and allowed enough free time to travel.

I’ll make a post over Thanksgiving about what we are up to these days.

Anyway, like I said, I really enjoy your posts. It’s interesting to hear about the career you had working in the different countries.

tazbigdog

Blackhawk
Ah….good question. I recently deleted my FB account because of issues with them, their liberal policies, two faced antics, etc.

Referring to this forum, I tend to keep family stuff, as well as work, private due to the ease of people wanting to use the information against me or my family. But when I get together, as in the Texas Fest we had, I’m an open book, when we’re face to face.

Sorry.

For me it's a security and privacy issue. I don't post pictures of anybody else unless they already have it on some site.
Might post some pictures of "stuff" once and a while.
Wyandot Jim has posted enough stuff over the years that if anybody wanted to use it they could likely open credit in
his name. All the aircraft have tail numbers and ownership is public. I think one of your photos may have been of your
A&I card with a social security number. Some photos are linked to cloud storage which was not secure if somebody
wanted to look through the rest of your stuff. My wife does genealogy research and had a lot of HR time in her
previous job, you might be amazed at what she could tell about your personal life in a few hours and she's
not a pro hacker.
I enjoy looking at the photos and hearing about other's successes in life, good to hear of people making it and
enjoying life. Too bad the thieves and hackers ruin it for the honest people

Robb Barnes

Hunter
Jim, you and I have visited in the past about our kids in the military and what their various jobs and duties are and it it good to share those with another military parent. In talking to my three kids in the A/F, none of them think what they do needs mentioning. They are doing their jobs and what duty calls them to be. One of them was thrown into the Afghanistan withdrawal mess and ended up running the initial evac program on the ground until we could get a full team in place then he switched to planning the removal of millions of dollars of equipment so it would not be left to the Taliban. He ended up getting awarded the Bronze Star for his acts but he didn't even let his family know of his award. HIs wife told us and said he didn't even want his squad back here in the states to know.

Waht I try and do on occasion is share pictures of their hunting adventures since they all hunt whenever they can. I think I posted pictures of Ashly's Oryx she got on the White Sands Missile range on the Iraq/Afghanistan veterans hunt this last January. She was 5 months pregnant and still pulled off the hunt and took a nice 36" Oryx. I was luck enough to be asked by her to be one of her guests, along with her husband who is my son, and it was an awesome experience.
EIfjoab.jpg

Robb:
That is incredible! I had no idea those Oryx lived there in Southern NM. I’ve been there probably 6 times in the last 4 or 5 years between Roswell and Las Cruces and Carlsbad and haven’t seen any of them.

eveled

Hunter
Some people post too much info. It is fun to share just remember its not just members that see these posts.

If it were just me I wouldn’t care, but its my responsibility to keep my family safe and secure.

So as an example.

I might share my nephew became and Eagle Scout, but I would never post his name or troop or city or even state.

Hunting pictures posted on social media have caused grief to lots of people. I read of a dentist who lost his practice after posting pictures of a safari. Look at the girl who thought she smoked a Coyote that was actually a Husky.

Ride1949

Buckeye
Jim, you and I have visited in the past about our kids in the military and what their various jobs and duties are and it it good to share those with another military parent. In talking to my three kids in the A/F, none of them think what they do needs mentioning. They are doing their jobs and what duty calls them to be. One of them was thrown into the Afghanistan withdrawal mess and ended up running the initial evac program on the ground until we could get a full team in place then he switched to planning the removal of millions of dollars of equipment so it would not be left to the Taliban. He ended up getting awarded the Bronze Star for his acts but he didn't even let his family know of his award. HIs wife told us and said he didn't even want his squad back here in the states to know.

Waht I try and do on occasion is share pictures of their hunting adventures since they all hunt whenever they can. I think I posted pictures of Ashly's Oryx she got on the White Sands Missile range on the Iraq/Afghanistan veterans hunt this last January. She was 5 months pregnant and still pulled off the hunt and took a nice 36" Oryx. I was luck enough to be asked by her to be one of her guests, along with her husband who is my son, and it was an awesome experience.
EIfjoab.jpg

Beautiful. Just...beautiful. Congratulations Ashly. Job well done.

Jim I enjoy your posts, and I envy the relationship you have with your family. My family gets together for funerals and more immediate for Holidays. I have difficulty posting pictures. As for the forum, it has kept me entertained over the years. When I was travel Nursing I got to meet a bunch of y’all at Fredericksburg. That was a teetotal blast! Lifelong friends were made. Then I went out to California, yes Rick Courtright exists in the flesh! Lol. We spent around 4hours solving the mysteries of the universe. Met with RUGER Randy in Liberty, Tx for some Hawg hunting on his ranch. Tx Pete in Killeen, Tx( now deceased, RIP kind sir)While in Anchorage, Alaska I met BPJ Marlin, of course Cholo and I have met in person in NC, Tn, and Tx. So many more I could name, but time space and my memory have limits. Suffice it to say , I LOVE YA GUYS! And GALS!
gramps

WV460hunter

Bearcat
Hey Guys,
I have been on this great Forum since 2003 with over 5400 post. Wow almost 20 years where does the time go? A lot of my post have been stories and pictures about me, my Kids, Grandkids, Flying, Fishing , Camping, Cars, SASS Shooting and Guns plus many other subjects. I don't do this to show off or brag, but to share my joys and family events with you. The main reason I started the past Rugerfest was to meet as many Guys on here as possible. That was a great experience we made good friends and I wish we could have continued.
I think more of a lot of the members on here than most other people and I also share more with you than most others. I know from the responses that you do care.
After seeing todays Veteran Day post. It got me to thinking about what I'm doing by posting so many pictures. I might be going a little overboard with my post.. Yes I posted pictures and Bios about my family in one of them and I'm proud of what they have done. I only saw one other post with pictures of family in it. Thank you I know how hard it is on the Parent to have a Kid in the Military.

SOOOOOOOOOOO the question is why don't more of you post about your family events? I would think that there are more of you with Military Kids and other family members that have preformed Great accomplishments. Remember 1 picture is worth at least 3 words:) Don't make me feel so embarrassed.
Those such as Cholo, Kevin, Wayno and others that posted their adventures, I thank you very much and keep it up. I know it takes time and effort, especially if you are a two finger typer like I am.
Well time to quit rambling. I think you'll know what I trying to say.
Thanks
Well, besides being new my family really doesn't like to do anything I do . But I will post some pics from my up and coming hunting season in about a week. I am the only guy in my house. 3 daughters all of which like doing anything else besides hanging with dad. But I will try and make my post interesting

am the only guy in my house. 3 daughters all of which like doing anything else besides hanging with dad.
Same here, but one daughter, not three. Man, good luck with that. I end up doing stuff my daughter likes just to interact with her. But for the most part, on her end, it’s all about her friends and, stereotypically going to the mall. But she’s 13.

How old are your kids?

WV460hunter, Kevin
I would suggest that you get your Daughters interested in something that you also enjoy doing. I really didn't treat or do anything different with my daughter than I did with Son. I taught her how to Fly Fish at 12, she and I spent two weeks tent camping in CO. We also did family camping and fishing. She soloed a Luscombe airplane before she went to the USAFA and learned and did lots of Aerobatics with me. We also did car stuff together helped her buy a 1982 Z28 that we played with. She also waitressed at a high$$$ restaurant. She didn't have time or want to go to a mall but she also did Girl things with her COUNTRY friends.
She was also number 2 in a high school class of 425+- and a Debate Champ.
Enjoy them while you can. Just for the record I would LOVE to be in your position. Kids are great:)

WV460hunter

Bearcat
Same here, but one daughter, not three. Man, good luck with that. I end up doing stuff my daughter likes just to interact with her. But for the most part, on her end, it’s all about her friends and, stereotypically going to the mall. But she’s 13.

How old are your kids?
They are 17,19,21 ..I'm a minority in my family .

You are correct Jim; Kids are great!

And my situation isn’t all that bad. It’s pretty great in fact. My daughter is just at that stage she wants to be independent and not have her parents around 24/7.

We did wait as long as possible before getting her a phone. She’s had one not quite a year now.

One thing we don’t do is search her phone, or go through her text messages. I know some parents do that with phone mirroring apps. We do want her to be as independent as possible.

But my wife and I did a good job getting the daughter involved in things we all enjoy. So I have no fear she will never stray too far from home.

I’m sure WV460Hunter can say something very similar. Yes?

gjgalligan

Single-Sixer
Maybe I am just a grumpy old man but most postings about family stuff I really couldn't care less about. I'm here, more or less, for gun related stuff.
I do find the postings asking for "How to" information how to fix things around the home, ect to be of interest.
As to pictures, I enjoy pictures of Guns, tools, animals, scenery, ect. I don't post any because since photo bucket went crap I don't have anyway to post pics unless the forum can host them.

That all said, This is the lounge, open to any topic. So I just sort through the postings and read what looks interesting to me.

Last edited:

AJGUNNER

Hunter
Maybe I am just a grumpy old man but most postings about family stuff I really couldn't care less about. I'm here, more or less, for gun related stuff.
I do find the postings asking for "How to" information how to fix things around the home, ect to be of interest.
As to pictures, I enjoy pictures of Guns, tools, animals, scenery, ect. I don't post any because since photo bucket went crap I don't have anyway to post pics unless the forum can host them.

That all said, This is the lounge, open to any topic. So I just sort through the postings and read what looks interesting to me.
Try post image---I have used it since photo bucket tried to hold us hostage. Fairly simple to use and no complaints from me.

Latest posts