A pair of Redhawks

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cphilip

Bearcat
IMG_1241.jpg

ShortBBL

Blackhawk
Nice! Those grips are the ones I like too.. very hand-filling and comfortable to shoot the heavy loads with.

Redstick

Single-Sixer
Howdy cphilip and WELCOME to the Ruger Forum!!! Tell us some about them Redhawks now. What calibers? Consecutively serial numbered? Did you put the Pachmayr Presentation Grips on them?

cphilip

Bearcat
Thanks for the welcome. As to the two.... I bought them as a pair simply because the shop that had them offered to make me a deal on them if I bought them both. I had no hankering for two but negotiated for them and got them. I then sold one to my coworker almost immediately as he came over and shot one and quickly fell in love with it. So as of yesterday I am back down to the one.

They are both early 80's guns in .44 magnum.

Both 500 prefixes, one is a 82 and the other a 84. They are bright, Sharp, tight and clean for their age.

The Pacmayr's were on them already as well as the Scopes. They are both labeled "presentation" but only one has the medallion on it.

The one I kept is the one with the Leupold scope and leupold mount on it. I have a soft spot for Leupolds and its all I own anymore.

The one my coworker got is the one in the foreground with the Japanese made Weaver scope.

I doubt either of them is drilled and tapped mounting. But I cannot say. That one is marked Leupold as to the mount but I do not yet know how it is attached. They both appear to be non intrusive mounts I thought but could be wrong. I will find out when I dismantle it for refinish. But without dismantling them I could not say. Maybe someone here will know how the Leupold mounts worked.

I do know the Leupold is dead nuts sighted in and the Weaver is not sighted in well.

I got the pair, as seen, for $900 included shipping, tax and transfers.

My plan for mine is to do a Bead Blast finish on it and pair it up with a Hunting holster and pretty much leave it a hunter.

cphilip

Bearcat
Here is the one Redhawk (the one I kept and the furthest one or top one in the pictures) after I Bead Blast refinished it today using fresh 80 Grit Glass Beads. I also did the Leupold Scope mount as it was almost a Chrome finish even brighter than the gun. (Whomever asked about this mount I found it was indeed tapped and threaded and screwed to the gun by the way)

The gun as before... typical Ruger SS finish really.

Redhawk1c.jpg

Now, same gun just after bead blasting and reassembly

IMG_1255.jpg

IMG_1257.jpg

IMG_1256.jpg

IMG_1254.jpg

Greebe

Single-Sixer
Nice pistols. What size beads did you used. It almost looks like the finish you get from Aluminum Oxide.

Greebe

cphilip

Bearcat
It is labeled as 80 Grit Greebe. These I find at Tractor Supply store. Why they label them by grit I don't know but they would be in the Medium to Medium/Fine range or around #8 range. Possibly they are mistaking grit for Mesh? Looks like fine Sugar. It is what I use for Norrell Moly Resin preparation and I always liked the look raw when I was doing those. The faceting is just a bit exaggerated in the flash pictures. But not as fast and as aggressive as Aluminum oxide I don't believe. More of a cleaner brighter slower process with these. Very hard to overdo it with these beads. But if your stripping paints or heavy crud its not real good for that.

cphilip

Bearcat
Here is a link to them. I am not sure why they size thiers in Grit as it doesn't jive with much else I know about the sizing of Glass Bead media... but it works good and its local and easy to get. Now granted it is a bit larger than some use on gun finish so its a bit more faceted. But I like it and I had to get rid of some pitting too on this one. Some use one a bit finer and smoother than this on guns. But this one does work and I like the look. Others may not.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/sand ... ve-3987722

Greebe

Single-Sixer
Cool. That is the same stuff they sell at the TS here too.

I have a 60 Gallon compressor that I need to either buy or build a blast cabinet for. What do you use for your cabinet and gun?

Thanks again,
Greebe

cphilip

Bearcat
I bought one of those typical Glass top window 50 pount double glove cabinets you see about anywhere. TSC or even on eBay. I then hooked up a Upright HEPA Vacuum to it to control the dust and put in a better sealed light into it. Works pretty well. I am still pushing mine with a 33 gallon Compressor which does the job but barely. You'll be much better served with your 60. And you can just dump the Air to the outside rather than filter it.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I first started using this stuff on Aluminum parts for Scooters. Motor cases and such. And it works amazingly on those. Gentle and idiot proof. I am amazed it works as quick as it does on other metal after seeing how gentle it was on Aluminum but it is a great all around cleaner prep type bead.

the only picture I seem to have of it is this one that was intended to show all the project bikes I had (at one time) crowding my tiny little shop so I couldn't even work in it! But it is in there... somewhere...

Fullshop.jpg

Greebe

Single-Sixer
Ok. I have seen one like that at TSC as well. I have been holding off on buying one as I have been spending lots of money on my shop. I just need to go get one. How does the supplied gun work that it came with. Do they work very well?

Those are some cool looking scooters. They look like they are from the 50's. What are they?

Greebe

cphilip

Bearcat
The gun with it works just fine but it will tire your hand using the trigger on it. I have to some day rig up a foot feed set up with no hand trigger and go that route. If you have that option I recommend it.

There are Piaggio Vespa scooters in that picture that range from about 1959 all the way up to 1984. Oh and one plastic twist and go thing near the back there that is newish and made by Derbi.