A New Project

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Lee Martin

Hunter
Thanks Jim.

The top car is a nailhead powered '33 Ford (0.060" 401, 12:1, big cam, two quads, straight linkage, and it all goes thru a Super T-10 4-speed). Light little ride (as in 2,200 lbs) with a ton of torque so it flies.

The middle one is a tube chassis '64 Chevy II. Power by way of a heavily sprayed 540 BBC

The yellow Nova is a car my friend and I bracket race. Runs low 6.0's in the 1/8 on motor.

Lee Martin said:
Thanks Jim.

The top car is a nailhead powered '33 Ford (0.060" 401, 12:1, big cam, two quads, straight linkage, and it all goes thru a Super T-10 4-speed). Light little ride (as in 2,200 lbs) with a ton of torque so it flies.

The middle one is a tube chassis '64 Chevy II. Power by way of a heavily sprayed 540 BBC

The yellow Nova is a car my friend and I bracket race. Runs low 6.0's in the 1/8 on motor.

Ya know most folks just don't relize what strong cars/engines Buick made. Ya just don't see many in hot rods. Way to go. What a great looking 50s Rod.
From growing up in the Mid 50s. That Sir is what a hot rod looks like.
Those REAL fat tires on the back of those others tells me I'm not going to mess we you in "THE MOUSE"
Thanks so much for your post.
Jim

PS Today was the start of cleaning up the eng. compartment :( I have all the parts stripped out and will start repainting soon

Lee Martin

Hunter
Wyandot Jim said:
That Sir is what a hot rod looks like.

Thanks Jim. I'm really pleased with how it turned out. My dad got into hot rods around 1957 so he's been a big influence on me. Here's a shot of the car from the rear (the back tires are slicks so it hooks pretty good on the street):

33Ford89.jpg

Keep us posted on your project. I really like that era Camaro and yours should be a real sleeper.

The problem with the Mouse was getting it to hook up. The Eng makes a lot of low end torque combined with the 390 gears. Had problems with 9" slicks also. Finally Trey bought a set of Centerline rims and L-50-15 Mickey Thompson street and strip tires. Theses were off when I took the latest pictures. We also had to had air shocks on the rear to get clearance

How long have you had your Rod finished? Looking good.

Jim

Lee Martin

Hunter
I finished the '33 in May of 2008 so it's been on the road two years. Like you, mine runs a 9" Ford with 3.89 cogs and a locker. It'll spin from a cold stop, but put a little heat in the tires and the front-end comes off the ground.

Have you taken it to the track yet? If so what does that light weight run in the quarter? Really doesn't matter that much just curious.
Sure looks good.
I spent more time today taking off parts in the Eng. compartment of the Mouse. Have a lot of cleaning to do before I paint them.
Jim

Lee Martin

Hunter
Haven't put a pass on it yet. The motor dyno'd over 400 hp with 510 ft/lbs of torque. ET calculators (not that they're always accurate) claim 10.80 with that power and 2,200 lb weight. If I had to guess, I'd say high-11's with a good 60 foot.

M'BOGO

Buckeye
And Lee's '33 will make everyone's heart long....

Autorama's next month, that is just sensory overload. I heard they've moved the Meadowbrook Concours De Elegance. But I prefer the the personalized rods, to the Duesenberg's. Some of the Cords and Hudson's though...