A New Old Model?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

One last thought I have on this one. The auction ends in under 2 hours and there are some repeating bidders- indication someone wants it. I'm a bit less enamored when I consider it's been converted and the old parts aren't included ( unless it really was released in 2018). There's no second cylinder, no box or paperwork, and the wrong grip panels (again, maybe). Either it's super rare or a hack job. My last reservation- in one pic the right side seam looks like the cylinder frame has some dings on the seam with the grip frame.
IMG_7432.jpeg

hittman

Staff member
To each their own but ….. the story means zero to me. It's just not a big deal with Ruger that a gun got returned for some unknown reason and then sold again.

Seems to be a solid $250 shooter to me. Converted, possible re-blued, no 2nd cylinder, no box, no owners manual, wrong grips, possible wrong grip frame. (n)

Ask yourself, if it was sitting in your local gun store, what would you pay for an OM with those detractions?

Most recent Blue Book value on this gun in 100% condition with both cylinders is $625.

To each their own but ….. the story means zero to me. It's just not a big deal with Ruger that a gun got returned for some unknown reason and then sold again.

Seems to be a solid $250 shooter to me. Converted, possible re-blued, no 2nd cylinder, no box, no owners manual, wrong grips, possible wrong grip frame. (n)

Ask yourself, if it was sitting in your local gun store, what would you pay for an OM with those detractions?

Most recent Blue Book value on this gun in 100% condition with both cylinders is $625.
I put a $350 ceiling on this one. It just went over $355. So I'm out. I would really like to know the story…but not that bad.

I've got a 1960 with box and paperwork coming on Wednesday. Now that I'm excited about.

Boxhead

Blackhawk
Odd stuff is fun to find. A year ago or so I came across the 4 5/8" OM Super Single Six for $400. A consignment gun. Most here know that a 4 5/8" is very rare as did I. Once pulled from the shelf of a collection of stainless Ruger's for sale it became apparent it was a rebarrel with a NM barrel. All work well done and it is a great shooter. I recently tweaked it with a front sight from Fermin, a rear from Hamilton, a base pin from Kelye and near 20 year old spalted maple grips from our very own caryc.

b7O5zge.jpg

uhhkRaQ.jpg

wKgmVi5.jpg

Odd stuff is fun to find. A year ago or so I came across the 4 5/8" OM Super Single Six for $400. A consignment gun. Most here know that a 4 5/8" is very rare as did I. Once pulled from the shelf of a collection of stainless Ruger's for sale it became apparent it was a rebarrel with a NM barrel. All work well done and it is a great shooter. I recently tweaked it with a front sight from Fermin, a rear from Hamilton, a base pin from Kelye and near 20 year old spalted maple grips from our very own caryc.

b7O5zge.jpg

uhhkRaQ.jpg

wKgmVi5.jpg
Very nice. I have been considering doing some mods to my '55- like installing a Super grip frame in aluminum. Even though it has been modified already ( newer loading gate and ejection rod) I'm having a hard time committing to further change. It's pretty perfect as-is.

So…while there is a place in my collection for a 1970, this one was not it.

I don't doubt that but it's not something available to an ordinary customer. And even in the case of knowing someone at the factory that they would modify and install a NM grip frame on an old model. Not even aftermarket gunsmiths do that.
Hondo
I never said NEW Model grip frame, I said NEW grip frame…Pine Tree still has the ability to cast NEW old model grip frames, or at least they used to back when WBR Sr & Jr were around, you would be surprised what the older employees could get done….same idea as "employee grade" wood, you think that was/is an AUTHORIZED program!!

Employees are still getting No.1 rifles for their 20 year guns, I just saw a new 30-30 rifle not that long ago…and up to about the mid to late 80's there were still sufficient parts to assemble a complete Hawkeye pistol….look at the one that sold at Auction last November (Ser.#2994), manufactured and shipped in 1974 - Stan Terhune asked WBR Sr and he allowed it to be sold to Henry Rodeschin for $55.55 plus excise tax!!! Is that the last Hawkeye to leave the factory????

chet15

Hawkeye
Old thread that I revisited while perusing the internet.
Lets test Ruger's serial number lookup system. If anybody has a prefixed old model SA of some model that has been factory converted sometime 1986 or later, plug that serial number in and see if it comes back with the date the gun was serviced for the NM transfer bar.
Chet15

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I just saw this old thread for the first time. In general, old models are not in the online serial number lookup because they were shipped too early to have computerized records. So my guess would be that that gun was a leftover barreled frame that was forgotten about and then assembled with the conversion kit parts. Or a near complete gun that was forgotten and finally converted before shipping for the first time in 2018. Too bad there is no pic of the left side to see whether it has old model rollmarks, but I suspect it does based on the front sight. The grips are certainly newer vintage.

I just saw this old thread for the first time. In general, old models are not in the online serial number lookup because they were shipped too early to have computerized records. So my guess would be that that gun was a leftover barreled frame that was forgotten about and then assembled with the conversion kit parts. Or a near complete gun that was forgotten and finally converted before shipping for the first time in 2018. Too bad there is no pic of the left side to see whether it has old model rollmarks, but I suspect it does based on the front sight. The grips are certainly newer vintage.
There was a post on Facebook about this one too, but I don't remember any new information. It will probably remain a mystery. I'm sure by checking GB we could find some serials that would fit the criteria for seeing if the theory works…

60-25021. converted in 1984. No record found.

20-28116. Converted 1984. No record found.

31-35443. Unknown conversion date, No record.

Just found these 3 on GB. No records for any of them.

Last edited:

hittman

Staff member
That s/n is also in the range of a 1970 Super Single Six on Ruger's web site.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
@hittman Sure, the old model general RANGES from year to year are listed, but I'm talking about the online lookup site that gives a shipping date for a specific serial number. That does not have old model data unless the gun shipped late.

Example, here is the result for an old model Super Single Six from 1971 that I own:
1697835753546.png

And here is the result for my latest (1973) old model, a Super Blackhawk:
1697835841210.png

Here is a 1988 Service Six:
1697836322367.png

The image in the OP's first post shows data for an model that is in the database as being shipped in 2018.

Try some of your -Six DA's, they are probably not there either unless they were shipped very late:

hittman

Staff member
Gotcha, yes, it's a range or approx YEAR for the older stuff. No other info.

It's a very rare occasion I get a newer model ANYthing so …. Am accustomed to getting the super cheap $10 letter.

Been years since I bought a NM single action and all those are long gone now.