A new caliber added to cave,,,,, smoooootthhh

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I sold my only 357 a couple months ago, a 4" GP-100 to a good friend. I just decided since I don't care for such a large frame for carry, and it was not a good choice for hunting w/a 4" barrel, that I would be much better off with a 6" heavy barrel. I even thought how sweet it would be to have a GP-100 HB in a hunter model with the barrel rib machined for rings like the Blackhawks.

Well as I seldom due when I want a new revolver I gave some considerable thought to this for a change. I am mainly a single action shooter when revolvers are concerned. I also started following a couple threads on the 327 Federal Cartridge. The more I heard from some very savvy revolver shooters, the more intrigued I was with it. Finally I saw in our classifieds the revolver that would make this all come together, and come close to what I had been thinking would be a good small game hunter.

The 6" Stn. Stl. full lug GP-100 in 327 FEDERAL, this revolver will not only have a cylinder long enough to handle any bullet I want on the heavier end for this caliber. It also has an excellent scope base available from Wiegand which will more or less convert it to a GP-100 Hunter model I was wanting,,, a Wiegatinny full length no drill base. I also think this will be a better small game hunting round with the lighter cast bullets in this caliber than a 357 for fox squirrel and rabbits.

So here it comes. I have picked up 500 Starline Brass, the Dillon 550 caliber conversion kit, my Redding 32 S&W 32 MAG Ti Carbide dies that work with the longer case, and a couple hundred 100grn XTP to play with till the two molds I have coming get here, a 100 grain WFN w/HP option and the 140 grn WFN w/HP option on their way from Mihec., along with a .313 sizer die next week. The Burris Fastfire III 3 moa will get here today, and the Wiegand base gets ordered next week.

Now both molds closed on a group buy yesterday, so a couple weeks before I can do any casting, but I have assembled a box of ammo using the 100 grn XTP's, and a stiff charge of H-110. The revolver is on it's way from Arizona,, THANK's Mike! and should be here tomorrow or Friday at the latest. I even have a lined thumb break holster waiting for it.

This was a pretty smooth addition of a new caliber into the loading cave for me. I just need the resizing die for my Lyman Lubrisizer, and them golden Mihec 4 cavity plain base molds to arrive, and I can start inventorying my new boolits for this new hunting cartridge the new revolver will be getting a steady diet of.

I am like a little kid with a new toy, I just can't wait for the experimenting and testing to begin! Anyone with some solid results on loads or results from this cartridge, I always welcome new information, feel free to leave it!

Buy the way,, when I bring the 357 back,,, it will be a Blackhawk, and somehow a bisley!!

rangerbob

Buckeye
The February issue of Handloader has some excellent information on loading the 327 Federal on page 14. Brian Pearce discusses powders, primers, and other things that contribute to uniformity with handloads. Bob! 8)

I already found with the 100 grn XTP that the case runs outa room for this gun using H110, so I'll be speeding up the burn rate when I shoot what I have and look for a little more zip with these bullets. Hopefully the molds will get here sooner than I expect and I will be working mostly with the 140 mgrain Sledghammer this time of year. Next fall I'll be needing some lighter less destructive loads for Rabbits and such for the table, that is what the 100 grn mold was purchased for.

rangerbob

Buckeye
I loaded 500 rounds with new Starline brass, 100 XTP, and 13gr. AA#9. I hate to admit it, but I have not shot a single one through my Single Seven or Henry Steel Big Boy. In the article I mentioned, Brian's using powders in the AA7, Power Pistol, and Unique range. I've read that Federal recommends their small rifle primer for more reliable ignition, but I loaded mine with WW small pistol magnum primers. Bob! 8)

Same here WW SP, under 13 grn. H-110. Thought about 2400, but I never had any trouble with these primers under this powder in 357. I have some CCI SRP in magnum. don't know what reliability would be double action in the GP-100 though?

I'm compressed with the XTP 100 and 13 grn H110, I loaded 6 with 13.5 grn but they were super compressed and hard to get a heavy roll crimp on. How were the ones you loaded with the 13 grn. AA#9?

Well I hope it gets sssmmmooootthhher when it gets here! Hopefully I will see the revolver this week, I still have no confirmation it has even shipped after finding out Thursday the payment was received Monday, and it had not at that time????????

Then I have 3 molds coming, all capable of casting HP's or WFN and LFN designs, 100 grn, 127 grn, and 140 grn. everything else is setting here Weigand Mini mount, Barris Fastfire III 3moa, Dillon conversion kit setup and ready, 3 loads ready for testing, and good supply of H-110, AA#9, 2400, HS-6, Blue Dot, Unique, and WW-231, with 200 120 grn LFN bullets on their way till my molds show up???????

Biten at the bit to see how this turns out. I hate not knowing what is going on, when I expected something 5 days ago!

rangerbob

Buckeye
wildcatter, due to work, the weather, and being old and tired, and yes I'm not going to lie, lazy, I have not shot any of my loads yet, but IIRC, the 13 gr. of AA#9 was not a compressed load, but is was full when loading the 100 XTP's. Bob!! 8)

I picked up a can AA#9 yesterday, just because you guaranteed it to work,,,, :wink:

Don't matter I'm told Wednesday or Thursday now, so, with it staying below freezing again and not thawing for at least the next 7 days other than Wednesday, I'm head'n back to the lake for some more walking on water practice. This is the best winter we have had in 3 years, and I'm loving it!
Mead-_VIII.jpg

1-21-18--_I.jpg

1-21-18-_II.jpg

1-17-18-_II.jpg

rangerbob

Buckeye
wildcatter, call me when you get the fish and French fries cooked, yum yum. Bob!! :mrgreen:

Well if it does not show tomorrow, I will call and see if it is even shipped yet 2 weeks later?? But so far no revolver in Ohio?? But them Lake Gators are still finding there way in my freezer!
1-30-18.jpg

But I am going to be very frustrated if it does not show tomorrow! two weeks on a 2 day shipment without holidays is getting frustrating, I sure hope this is not sign that this was not a good idea???

Ferdinand

Single-Sixer
I live in Ohio and have never seen fish like that around here. Wow - those are some beasts! You got me interested in the 327 Fed now. I have a GP100 and it's my favorite handgun of all time.

Well I finally got it, picked it up Fri. evening, after stopping and fireing 15 or 20 rounds brought it home and got it stripped, cleaned everything, did a little polishing on the action, and some primary cleaning up of the engagements, changed the trigger return spring, and got the Weigand Mini mount, and Burris FFIII mounted. So this afternoon with the wind cutting 25 mph gusts and in between other things I had to do with the wife, I made a quick trip trip to the range with 3 jacketed loads, and two cast loads, and decent trigger at 2lbs 13oz.

I am very happy for the first trip with a brand new gun, let alone in these condition, as well as a brand new caliber to me! I had 2-loads using H110, and 100 grain XTP's. and one with #9 and the XTP's. The 12.0 grn load of #9 shot 7 shot group just over 3/4". I could almost call it 3/4" but it is just over. This alone was a successful trip as far as I am concerned. Then of the 2-120 grn FN cast bullets I had I also see promise with the plain base. Just over 1" 7 shot group, using 11 grains of #9, and no signs of leading.

No chrony today but I will get around to that in time. I am not expecting great speeds with a BC gap of .008". I need to cleanup just a tad bit more on the trigger, and it does have slightly loose .212 throats, I have to tap the XTP's thru, with one right on .212" I have to force the 212 cast slug thru that one, so in time I will throat everything to .3135, and maybe have the barrel set back one thread and tighten the BC gap and recut the crown. But till weather gets better and I have more time to spend on the range, I am happy with the investment.
IMG_0001_1.jpg

I'll get some better pictures tomorrow when I get some time. But got 4 or so inches of snow coming tonight to cleanup tomorrow. If the wind slows down I may try and tweak that XTP load to. I almost forgot, I replaced the tiny grip that come on it with a Hogue decelerator grip I had from my 480 SR, it fits my big paw much better!

rangerbob

Buckeye
wildcatter, I so glad the AA 9 worked out so well. Sometimes and old blind hog can find a acorn. If the weather ever cooperates, maybe I can test my loads. Bob!! :mrgreen:

DougGuy

Single-Sixer
The reamer I have finishes right at .3135" after the Sunnen hone does it's thing.

I am going to be be sending it Doug, I just gotta get a little play time in first. I know I have one chamber that is a little tighter than the other 6, I for sure want them all the same. But right now I ain't got the first invoice for the 100 grain or the 140 grn molds. But now I know the .313" sizing die is the one I need.

I do need to know what gas checks are folks using,, the .308, or the .323/8mm? I need top get some of them headed this way as well as the plain base checks. The best thing I like about this revolver since it isn't a single action,, is just how well the 120 grain cast load shot nearly to the same POI as the hot loaded 100 grn. XTP's.

This was one reason I went with the longer heavy barrel using the full lug. That and the longer cylinder will allow a longer oal. for the 140 grain WFN HP I plan to cast for larger varmint. with the 100 grn. in it's solid WFN profile for small game loaded light. Only time will tell if the one zero setting will work for all three, but I sure am happy I decided to give this 327 Federal a try. So far I think it will do what I wanted.
IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0006-1.jpg