A Major League Airplane

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FastEd

Hunter
Last Saturday morning around 7:30 I was half awake and trying to decide whether to get up or not.
All of a sudden I heard this tremendous roar.
He's coming right over the house and he's picking up speed. I recognize the high pitched scream of the jet engines.
Being about a half mile to the right of the glide path to Wright Patterson A/F Base I have heard them many times.
But this guy must have had his after burners on adding that low guttural growl to the mix.

Being at least four miles from the runway I did not know why he was so low. But he was hauling ass. I got up and tried to get a glimpse of him but could not pick him up because of all the trees. Heading West he was probably gone by then anyway.

One heck of a wakeup. My son was riding the mower in the back yard said it was the Stealth Bomber. I don't know where he is based but he comes around every once in a while. Now there is a good example of sheer brute power.

God's Speed Stealth Bomber...

toysoldier

Hunter
FastEd said:
My son was riding the mower in the back yard said it was the Stealth Bomber. I don't know where he is based but he comes around every once in a while. Now there is a good example of sheer brute power.

God's Speed Stealth Bomber...

Based at Whiteman AFB in Missouri. From a distance, they're just a silent triangle in the sky.

737tdi

Hunter
While I was stationed at MCAS Beaufort we would have an exercise every couple of years where the USAF would attempt to annihilate our base. There were 6 hornet squadrons there (1 was always in Japan) and the other 5 would be used to defend the base against F-111s and B52s. After the exercise the Buffs and Aardvarks would be allowed to do their low level bombing runs. That was loud because they were hugging the tree tops, hauling butt. It was so loud that the USMC would worn the town for a week before, so they wouldn't scare the poop out of them. Awesome display of air power.

Karl

Don Lovel

Hunter
I was lucky enough to spend a bunch of time working contracts at Whiteman, B2 is one strange flying machine. Most fun I had while there was watching them and C5, C117 & U4B making touch and go approaches

FastEd

Hunter
Don Lovel said:
I was lucky enough to spend a bunch of time working contracts at Whiteman, B2 is one strange flying machine. Most fun I had while there was watching them and C5, C117 & U4B making touch and go approaches

Wright-Patterson AFB has always been a hot bed of Military War Planes. In the 50s they had the last squadron of B-25s. Later F-86s, B-47s, F-15s, F-16s. Always testing and troubleshooting they flew them daily. I remember all the sonic booms that broke glass windows and cracked ceilings caused by the hot shot fighter pilots.

During the Cold War Wright-Patt had a squadron of B-52s that were always ready. They had at least one flight in the air 24/7 equipped with A-Bombs.

Wright-Patt is almost idle now, only a few C5 Galaxies left.

coach

Hunter
A number of years ago a stealth bomber crashed taking off from the ANG base at Martin State Airport. It barely missed destroying some houses and debri was scaltered all over. The Feds quickly cordoned off the area so nobody could scavenge any wreckage, claiming toxic materials were involved. It happened at the end of the runway near a marina I used to sail out of. I've often enjoyed watching military craft doing touch and goes not to mention the A-10s based there. The reason given for the crash was wing bolts were not properly installed and a wing fell off or failed during take off.

Latest posts